Just when you think you're out, it pulls you back in...

Titanic.jpg

Ok, I kinda thought I was done with this score.

It was part of a film that shook the world nearly a decade ago, but hasn't really developed any significant following.

The song was so popular that it has since become unlistenable, the solo female moaning has became the film music cliche of the last 10 years and the album has been sold to so many ordinary people that you can't be blamed for being suspicious about it.

The hype is long since over, I've grown, matured.

Horner isn't as high up the totem pole as I once put him and this is the score that set about the decline of this film composer, who since started believing he was actually a serious artists and has been scoring mostly boring shit ever since.

So I pretty much thought that paying €15,00 for yet another release of this overhyped score was an act of sentimental foolishness on my part, I mean I already had the OST on regular CD and a rather dissapointing sounding DTS CD, plus I had been suckered into bying that odd Back To Titanic thing.

Even though it was an SACD, surely there is a more worthy way to blow €15,00?

That's over 20 minutes of hot phone sex, several large burgers at McDonalds or at least 3 licensed 2006 Football World Cup shirts with printed text saying "Bugger it, Krautzy!"

But you know...

It just worth every cent and more.

It's romantic, tragic, adventurous (boisterously so) intense, kinitic and melancholic all into once, and sometime at the exact same time.

Yes it's "Irish" sound is a bit suspect, yes the synth are a trow back to 80's TV scoring, yes it rather obviously steals from Enya.

But fuck me, even at it's most slowest cues it is never boring.

It has an identity of it's own, something that is sadly lacking in many modern film scores.

The SACD is a definate improvement over the rather flat sounding OST release and the gimmicky DTS CD.

It's still the first sign that something was going very wrong with Shawn Murphy, but it still sounds sharp, I can make out details, unlike his work a few years later, were all the sound was put in a big blender to make a easily drinkable "orchestra slurry".

This score is the dogs cojones, I realize now that I love it as much as the day I had sex with this score playing thunderously in the back ground. (I was great that night, and that girl, whatever her name was again, was pretty good too).

One of Horners top 10 efforts easily, and a defining score in his career (he might have well have died after composing it and it would not have effected his post Titanic output). It's also a defining point in film music history.

Hurraah!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally you see the light Stefan! And although the most vocal JWFan contributors hate this score, I find it a bold and brave move to praise it, despite the fact that you will have to face some opposition from your "tug-job buddies"!

Bravo! :baaa:

Titanic never pulled me in.Long meandering action cues that don't develop into anything and a grating theme isn't my idea of a good listening experience.One of the weakest Horner scores.

K.M.

Please delete this thread, for ethics' sake!

LOL

Titanic never pulled me in.Long meandering action cues that don't develop into anything and a grating theme isn't my idea of a good listening experience.One of the weakest Horner scores.  

Indeed I agree and I was and still am the same way about the score. I bought the OST but I ended up giving it to a chick friend of mine because it dulled me to no end.

I've loved it from the first time. Great theme (Horner is good at melody, which makes his borrowings and repetitions all the more surprising), intense moments; I also like the synth choirs.

I'm also very glad I got it before the movie was released, because I can say my buying it had nothing to do with any hype.

Unfortunately, some people just like bashing it because they think it cool and trendy, because it's supposedly "a chick flick", because of Leonardo di Caprio, because of Céline Dion, ...-- and because it's Horner.

Too bad for them.

I was sure Cameron & Horner would deliver a very good movie and score; I was not disappointed.

I've been thinking of getting the SACD, with that of Star Trek: Nemesis and E.T., and a few others, but have been procrastinating and postponing because of other purchases. I think I'll finally order all of these in June, for my birthday.

The Master speaks the truth as usual.

You've inspired me to revisit the score.

Please someone explain Alex's picture reference, as I did not get it.

Unfortunately, some people just like bashing it because they think it cool and trendy, because it's supposedly "a chick flick", because of Leonardo di Caprio, because of Céline Dion, ...-- and because it's Horner.  

Sorry to break it to you I for one really despise the movie. I find it completely boring. I was dragged to the movie by a friend of mine and him and I were laughing most of the way through the film.

As far as the score as I said I honestly think it sucks. I also was telling the truth when it bored me to no end that is why I gave it to a chick friend of mine.

This is my opinion if you don't like it then skip over my post and move on.

skipping over your post and moving on.

I think alot of guys don't like the film because deep down they are overly homophobic, because they sense their attraction to Leonardo, and take the extreme opposite reaction, by hating the movie to reinforce their masculinity.don't you just love this psuedo bullshit

skipping over your post and moving on.

I think alot of guys don't like the film because deep down they are overly homophobic' date=' because they sense their attraction to Leonardo, and take the extreme opposite reaction, by hating the movie to reinforce their masculinity.don't you just love this psuedo bullshit

My homophobia also tricked me into thinking Brokeback Mountain was an excruciatingly slow and boring film :devil:

K.M.

I wouldn't know, I've not seen it.

Titanic the film isn't as bad as many people make out. The two best scenes were the sinking sequence and naked Kate Winslet. Horner's score is among my least favourites by the composer because of the weird instrumentation choices that tend to ruin the mood, but other than that, the themes he wrote were big, bold and memorable.

The film struck a chord with loads of women, not just because of Leo, but because it was like a women's romance novel come to life on the big screen with an historical event that was the sinking of the ultimate love boat as the backdrop.

unconfirmed statistics show that ticket sales of Titanic were 52% male, and 48% female.of course I am lying, I made this up

The film struck a chord with loads of women, not just because of Leo, but because it was like a women's romance novel come to life on the big screen with an historical event that was the sinking of the ultimate love boat as the backdrop.

In this film, I missed the backbone of a great novel. Everything was so puberal. Cameron should stick to his Terminator films because, frankly, his other efforts suck.

Alex

In this film, I missed the backbone of a great novel. Everything was so puberal. Cameron should stick to his Terminator films because, frankly, his other efforts suck.

Alex

Well, I never said women's romance stories were great novels.

i think the score is quite okay, though i've only heard it on CD once or twice b4 i returned it to my ex.

Burga - who is wondering how good the ET 20th Anniversary SACD is.

Burga2 - who for a few minutes forgot he doesnt have an SACD player anyway

I guess Titanic is a decent score. I really have never loved it that much. The main turn off for me is the Love theme that I had enough of when it was played ad infinitum on every radio station for a year or longer. I like the upbeat Titanic's departure cues but I really do not like the synth choir. I just do not like it. It sounds so artificial and odd to me. The action music in the middle of the score is in general the same Horner we have heard before, nothing new.

So I like the beginning of the album and some of the music from the end of the score but other than that it really did not have any impact on me. And the Love theme is just soured up by the Celine Dion song.

If some the arguments for Titanic's success were true then fanboys (and fangirls) should have accounted for $600 million per film for the Star Wars prequels.

I'll say it again, I saw Titanic 3 months into it's run. It was still showing on one of the main screen and it was packed with more adults (to include men) than teenage girls. The film is good, $600 million doesn't lie.

Actually it's one the few scores where Horner was really motivated by the subject and not on auto-pilot..

Not only did Titanic never pull me in, it spit me out after about 5 minutes. When the synth choir bursted out the "Leaving Port" scene (or whatever), it was so horrible that I tuned it off. It's almost like listening to a score mockup.

Mark; I definately agree with you. The idea that only teenaged, Leo DiCaprio obsessed girlies, have turned Titanic into the most succesful movie of all time is one of the biggest falsehoods and misconceptions among a stubborn and shortsighted male fanbase. Titanic was a movie for everyone. It's basically the only film my whole family went to see. My little sister, my grandfather, hell!, even our dog went to see Titanic!

The film was a major cinematic event, something that is very rare. Jaws, Star Wars, E.T., Jurassic Park, The Lord Of The Rings and (yes, yes) TITANIC. Major, major event films.

I have only respect for James Cameron.

Sorry to break it to you I for one really despise the movie.  [...] As far as the score as I said I honestly think it sucks.  [...]

This is my opinion if you don't like it then skip over my post and move on.

As I posted earlier, too bad / good for you.

If my post doesn't apply to you, great; but there are people that will bash just for the sake of it, and that was the meaning of my pretty general statement.

I'm glad this doesn't apply to you, Vosk.

Horner's Titanic is just like Apollo 13 part II : Troubles, but this time on the sea. The same thematical vagueness is present, but with a celtic flute! :-P

Of course I'm biased because I don't like James Horner's work in general, but when you compare it to the hype it got, then you can only come to the conclusion that the score is shockingly bad.

It's basically the only film my whole family went to see. My little sister, my grandfather, hell!, even our dog went to see Titanic!

they allow pets in the theaters?

I personally enjoy the song My Heart Will Go On, but it has special meaning too me.

That song isn't so bad,it's the synth choir and irish fiddles that drives me nuts.

K.M.

There are actually no Irish fiddles in this score.

Did you even listen to it, or are you basing your opinion on reviews you have read?

TITANIC soundtrack went on release some months before the film came out here in the UK. I thought it was an awesome soundtrack then and still is now. Being the BIGGEST SELLING soundtrack of all time and falling into mainstream pop music it has definately made us film collectors snobbish towards it. Perhaps afraid to be affected by this score?

There is no denying that it touched the audience like no romance score had done before. For a love story Horner produced a score that was as fitting to what JW's music was to Jaws, Superman and StarWars, etc. It will take some beating in that category

I can't say I'm on expert on this score, but I'd just like to chime in to say that I certainly agree with Steef's sentiments regarding the score.

I just think it is as the LOTR scores, they were going to be popular and even oscar winners regardless of its quality or who composed them.

Like Brokeback mountain this year more or less...