Better Mummy soundtrack: Goldsmith's or Silvestri's?

Eric_JWFAN

Whose is better in your opinion?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Goldsmith's The Mummy
    • Silvestri's The Mummy Returns

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough choice. One's aggressive, one's heroic. Both work well in their respective films.

I'll get back to you after listening to both complete versions...

Last great Goldsmith score, hands down.

What aboot the 13th Warrior?

The 13th Warrior is a great companion piece to The Mummy, or I should say it's the other way around because Warrior was written before The Mummy.

Timeline was a suprise.

Goldsmith's music is good.

The actual film is bad and the replacement score written by Brian Tyler is bland.

Was Timeline (movie and score) any good? Never heard it or watched it. Paul Walker put me off. :mrgreen:

The score is great.

Or Timeline?

Well considering Joe thinks '99 was the end of Goldsmith, I picked something from that year...

But The Sum of All Fears, and Timeline, and even Looney Toons were all great scores.

The Mummy.

The sequel is very good & exciting, but a tad too much and not an everyday listen.

I think Goldsmith's last score was his last great score....I love Looney Tunes.

Of the two, It's a tough choice, but I'd go with Silvestri's. Goldsmith's is wondefully exciting, but, I feel, is a bit too familiar. I hear some Gremlins in it, and I certainly hear it in 13th Warrior and Timeline.

I think Goldsmith's last score was his last great score....I love Looney Tunes.

Of the two, It's a tough choice, but I'd go with Silvestri's. Goldsmith's is wondefully exciting, but, I feel, is a bit too familiar. I hear some Gremlins in it, and I certainly hear it in 13th Warrior and Timeline.

Ah but his last score was Timeline...that too was great.

Timeline was scored before Looney Tunes, it was just released later.

However Timeline was the last complete score that Jerry Goldsmith did, John Debney replaced Goldsmith for the last reel of Looney Tunes after Goldsmith became to ill to work.

Interesting if you look at Goldsmith's last 3 scores.

Star Trek: Nemesis. A film that was a big flop.

Timeline. A film were his got his score rejected and was a big flop.

Looney Tunes: Back In Action. A score he was unable to finish for a film that flopped.

3 damn good scores though.

I thought Timeline was good, all though I thought it sounded to much like Mulan.

I haven't heard his score for Looney Tunes yet.

However Nemesis definitely is a good score epesically if you have the 2-CD promo.

I also love his Star Trek The Motion Picture, First Contact and Insurrection scores.

Air Force One is also another good score and possibly the best callobration between two film composers (him and Joel McNeely).

Goldsmith's music is good.

The actual film is bad and the replacement score written by Brian Tyler is bland.

Tyler's music is superior to Goldsmiths'.

Wow,thre's sure not many JW things to talk about lately.

where's the doldrums thread,I'll post in that.

K.M.Who likes The mummy and listened to Mummy Returns once but didn't find it too interesting.

K.K.M.Underwhelmed by anything Superman Returns related

Now this is a truly tough choice. Goldsmith's music is excellent, but so is Silvestri's. I find Silvestri's music more enjoyable, especially the action sequences. But Goldsmith's music is perfect for the film as well. The Mummy Returns movie isn't as good as the first film though. Both scores are better on the complete editions though. Lots of absolutely excellent music was left off from the OSTs, such as several action tracks from The Mummy and the entire finale from The Mummy Returns.

I will also say that John Debney's The Scorpion King is pretty good as well. Not quite as good as Goldsmith's or Silvestri's music and not as good as Cutthroat Island either, but still definitly good.

In the end, I can't really make a well-judged choice about this. Both are simply excellent. :sigh:

dito

I love Goldsmith's work on The Mummy

but the reigns were not dropped when Silvestri picked up on The Mummy 2. I love the End Credits for the Mummy 2... The music for both is so...enjoyable... I practically put them in one playlist as a continuous thing.

I've never listened or seen Scorpion King... but if it's Debney, no doubt it sounds like the other two--as Debney is very good at copying sounds ::cough cough::

But yea...I can't really decide.There should be a third decision.

"I love them Both"

Actually, The Scorpion King doesn't sound much like the first two. For some reason, a rock influence has been added to the music. Which actually works reasonably well. It's not overdone at least. Apart from the track "Boo!". That one does feel out of place. The rest is pretty good. And there are some genuinely good parts in there.

Both scores are world class. Goldsmith's score is everything I'd come to expect from an action adventure score from the master, and Silvestri's is the kind of score that's full of mega-epic orchestral bombast and thematic catchiness that I haven't really heard much from any composer since. Though one strength The Mummy has over The Mummy Returns is a much stronger love theme.

I haven't heard either of these scores outside their respective films.

Must do so.

Also, reading earlier posts in this thread brings me back to one of my old sayings:

Must... get... more... Goldsmith...

- Marc, who thought he was actually doing nicely in the Goldsmith expansion. Bah! He just wrote too much good stuff. :|

What happened to Bruce Botnick?  The best livingmixer in film scores, has done nothing since Goldsmith passed.

That's nonsense, he's not that amazing a mixer. He's very good, and delivered solid work time and time again. He mainly had the good fortune to be associated with Goldsmith's wonderful music.

I saw that the mummy was on tonight and i caught the beginning, love that score, can't agree not certainly ever regarding Mr. Alan's neat sequel score. ;) Goldsmith's Mummy hands down.

I think it says means goldsmith's version is better