Weekly JW piece review#2: Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestr

Miguel Andrade

To take a break from reviewing only film music, lets move to purest form of musical expression, as I submit for review Williams Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra.

So to start with, here are my thoughts on this:

Williams concerto, written for LA Phil's principal clarinet, Michelle Zukovsky, is written on the traditional three movement set, with a cadenza right after the first one.

As in other Williams concertos (at least the trumpet one follows somewhat the same structure), the composer seem to follow the same idea as Samuel Barber on his great and lyrical Violin Concerto. While the most of the concerto, while being light and melodical, is somewhat introspective, almost hounted by the clarinet soul, the final movent is quiet more demanding, extroverted, and comes close to a little tour de force.

The work begins with little explosions from the orchestra, and then a sweet melody is presented by the clarinet, slightly backed by strings. At every new exposition the phrase grows until it gets picked by the orchesra and we are taken to a sort of spiritual exultation.

The cadenza and slow movement that follows without almost noticing a pause in between are very introspective, and the idea of being hounted is the one that remains in my mind -- or as Williams later stated in the notes for his bassoon concerto, this wood made instruments are haunted themselfs by the trees they were made of, and as the soloist blows thought them, we can feel this ghost going around us.

The final movement, is much more extroverted, and I would draw a quick comparition with Return of the Jedi's Forest Battle, beginning with a somewhat more dramatic tone and moving to a quiet joyfull and festive one, in a happy, playful scherzo for clarinet and orchestra.

The concerto was only released on a somewhat dubious form -- is courrently available from iTunes -- with poor sound, and no score as ever been published, either as a full orchestra one or for piano reduction.

Still, this remains a fine addition to Williams catalogue and to the very least a piece always fun to listen to, and wonder through the misterious places Williams mind lives while alone on his studio.

Your thoughts, please...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The courrent version available on iTunes was noise reduced, and while the clarinet is more clear, you loose a lot of the orchestra. The original mp3.com release is somewhat better, if you ask me.

And Marc, yes, this is just another strike over you :|

Let me think what will be next...