Star Of Bethelem From Home Alone

Pelzter

I didn't know Williams wrote the music to this hymn until just recently, when I rewatched Home Alone. What a gorgeous melody it is!

Has any instrumental version of it ever been recorded? I know it's used in the film, but has any really sweeping string version ever been recorded by Williams?

--Pelzter

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an instrumental version of the theme on the Home Alone soundtrack (track 4)...are you familiar with that? Also, Williams recorded a great choral/orchestral rendition of it, which can be found on the expanded Home Alone II set, as well as the Holiday Pops album.

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks it's an amazing theme!

There's an instrumental version of the theme on the Home Alone soundtrack (track 4)...are you familiar with that? Also, Williams recorded a great choral/orchestral rendition of it, which can be found on the expanded Home Alone II set, as well as the Holiday Pops album.

It's very good on the Home Alone 2 set save for the sonic overload in the second half of the track and an embarrassing horn mistake. I guess they didn't have time for multiple takes of that cue.

I love that we get three different version of this Christmas song on the two scores, the ochestral, and the children's and the adult choirs. It's an interesting song in the way that it is more minor and not incredibly sappy and upbeat. In that regard, it makes it sound more contemplative and introspective rather than making you picture elves and snowman bouncing around.

It's also more musically absorbing and elegant than your average carol.

Tim

As a theme, could it represent the conflict between Kevin and his family being apart? It plays when Old Man Marley is talking to Kevin in the church about how he misses being with his family, as well as when we see the 2 planes going their separate ways in Home Alone 2.

Pinning the theme to a specific meaning could be difficult, as it's used liberally throughout both scores. Most of the time it's quite mysterious and dark, but it's also used for action, and a wonderful major-key version even plays as Kevin lines himself up to swing out the window in the first film. My favorite moment has to be in "Follow That Kid!" as the film cuts to the church where Kevin is hiding in the manger scene. It has this terrific, tense buildup to a grand outburst of the theme, and it always caught my attention, even as I was a kid before I cared or knew anything about film scores. It's one of those great Williams moments where the film is completely transformed and elevated through the music.

Ray Barnsbury

Pinning the theme to a specific meaning could be difficult, as it's used liberally throughout both scores. Most of the time it's quite mysterious and dark, but it's also used for action, and a wonderful major-key version even plays as Kevin lines himself up to swing out the window in the first film. My favorite moment has to be in "Follow That Kid!" as the film cuts to the church where Kevin is hiding in the manger scene. It has this terrific, tense buildup to a grand outburst of the theme, and it always caught my attention, even as I was a kid before I cared or knew anything about film scores. It's one of those great Williams moments where the film is completely transformed and elevated through the music.

Ray Barnsbury

I have te same momories of it. I didn't even realize at that time who wrote the music for Home Alone, but it was certainly one of those moments when I felt the power of film music and understood its function. When I found out that the person who wrote that was the same who delivered themes for Star Wars, Lost in Space (first heard in Apollo 440 version), Indiana Jones, Superman and Jaws, I knew that he was my favourite comoposer (in fact I didn't know any other at that time). And this was also the beginning of my fascination in film music. I began to acknowledge it, to learn about other works by JW, and about other composers. :rolleyes:

The best use of "Star of Bethlehem" is in "Man of the House." Both uses are equally good for different reasons: when Kevin slides across the ice and when he runs into the house to escape old man Marley.

I wish the song had more prominence in the movie. It might have been nominated for an Oscar.

Jeff -- who thinks "Star of Bethlehem" is infinitely better than "Promise Me You'll Remember"

The true beauty of Star Of Bethlehem is in the powerful arrangments of the orchestral version on the OST and the choral/orchestra version on the Home Alone II soundtrack.

As a theme, could it represent the conflict between Kevin and his family being apart? It plays when Old Man Marley is talking to Kevin in the church about how he misses being with his family, as well as when we see the 2 planes going their separate ways in Home Alone 2.

I think the theme represents the loneliness, fragility, and courage of a young boy left home alone. It doesn't have much to do with the family itself, IMO, rather than what Kevin feels toward them. Also, of course, it reprents the beauty and purity of Christmas time. The piece is rather introspective and thoughtful rather than happy and cheerful (like "Somewhere in My Memory"), but it's a great Christmas song all the same.

;)

My favorite moment has to be in "Follow That Kid!" as the film cuts to the church where Kevin is hiding in the manger scene. It has this terrific, tense buildup to a grand outburst of the theme, and it always caught my attention, even as I was a kid before I cared or knew anything about film scores. It's one of those great Williams moments where the film is completely transformed and elevated through the music.

Ray Barnsbury

I agree with you there. It's one of the best moments of the movie score-wise. Without the music, it would have been just another forgettable chase scene.

It's very good on the Home Alone 2 set save for the sonic overload in the second half of the track and an embarrassing horn mistake. I guess they didn't have time for multiple takes of that cue.

Hmm, where is the mistake? I can't think of it. It's not just intentionally discordant is it? Or is it more of a flub?

Just curious as I love this piece and am trying to arrange it for piano for some friends of mine in a singing group for next Christmas!

I think the theme represents the loneliness, fragility, and courage of a young boy left home alone. It doesn't have much to do with the family itself, IMO, rather than what Kevin feels toward them. Also, of course, it reprents the beauty and purity of Christmas time. The piece is rather introspective and thoughtful rather than happy and cheerful (like "Somewhere in My Memory"), but it's a great Christmas song all the same.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't think it represents the family itself, just the loneliness. Kevin is represented by 'Somewhere', which seems to be altered for Home Alone 2, but I could be wrong on that.

Indiana, who just figured out how the quote button works.

So how many themes (big and small) are there in Home Alone (the first picture)???

1. Somewhere in My Memory: Kevin's Main Theme

2. Star of Bethlehem: represents the loneliness, courage of Kevin; the beauty of Christmas

3. the villain's theme: represents Marv & Harry

4. secondary Kevin's Theme (Scammed by a Kindergartner 0:47 -): this is the one I think of as "Kevin is just being a kid" theme

5. the House's theme; represents the mystery of the house/the whole situation

6. Holiday Flight Theme

Any others???

So how many themes (big and small) are there in Home Alone (the first picture)???

1. Somewhere in My Memory: Kevin's Main Theme

2. Star of Bethlehem: represents the loneliness, courage of Kevin; the beauty of Christmas

3. the villain's theme: represents Marv & Harry

4. secondary Kevin's Theme (Scammed by a Kindergartner 0:47 -): this is the one I think of as "Kevin is just being a kid" theme

5. the House's theme; represents the mystery of the house/the whole situation

6. Holiday Flight Theme

Any others???

"Carol of the Bells" or "Dies Irae" represents Marley, or Kevin's fear of the unknown, and it also shows up in "Setting the Trap."

I didn't really make that connection between the four-note Marley motif and "Carol of the Bells" at first, but I can definitely hear it. Not sure if it's purposeful, or just a common progression of notes that sounds mysterious (it's also the "Making Christmas" theme from The Nightmare Before Christmas). In any case, the intentional extension of "Carol of the Bells" in "Setting the Trap" is fantastic, as Kevin leaves the church where they're singing it.

Ray Barnsbury

:DI didn't know Williams wrote the music to this hymn until just recently, when I rewatched Home Alone. What a gorgeous melody it is!

--Pelzter

I see,and your a JWfan since 2002?

K.M.

To be fair, Williams also has a small oscillating fan company, so he was probably searching for an online store in order to purchase one or two. JW Fan would have been the first hit. Here are a couple of examples:

s0066815stdts5.jpgb000050apr01aa280sclzzztc5.jpg

Operators are standing by.

Tim

The only thing I don't like about the recording is how the harp dampens the sound before the last chord and arpeggio.

As for embarassing horn flub.. I can't find one...

And for being too loud, I'd prefer a track to be too loud than too quiet. I can turn something down, but if it's too quiet, the more i turn it up, the more noise you get and that drives me crazy more than anything.

I didn't really make that connection between the four-note Marley motif and "Carol of the Bells" at first, but I can definitely hear it. Not sure if it's purposeful, or just a common progression of notes that sounds mysterious (it's also the "Making Christmas" theme from The Nightmare Before Christmas). In any case, the intentional extension of "Carol of the Bells" in "Setting the Trap" is fantastic, as Kevin leaves the church where they're singing it.

Ray Barnsbury

I have never noticed "Carol of the Bells" in Setting the Trap. Can you give me the exact time? ^_^

The only thing I don't like about the recording is how the harp dampens the sound before the last chord and arpeggio.

As for embarassing horn flub.. I can't find one...

And for being too loud, I'd prefer a track to be too loud than too quiet. I can turn something down, but if it's too quiet, the more i turn it up, the more noise you get and that drives me crazy more than anything.

No, it really is too loud. Can't you hear all the crackling in the instrumental solo near the end? I've forgotten the technical term for this problem.

Horn - 2:41. My bad; it was actually a trumpet.

And you can find "Carol of the Bells" throughout the entire track of "Setting the Trap." It's just a four-note motif.

I have never noticed "Carol of the Bells" in Setting the Trap. Can you give me the exact time?

It's the first melodic bit of the track, right after the introduction with the synth beat, played on flute and bells, I believe.

Ray Barnsbury

well, that's the only crackling... the rest is fine... they probably should have stopped that from happening,yea...

What did the trumpet do wrong?

I don't think it did anything wrong... it sounds like the trumpets split parts there... I actually like that trumpet going up.

I love how you can hear John getting really into it...

well, that's the only crackling... the rest is fine... they probably should have stopped that from happening,yea...

What did the trumpet do wrong?

I don't think it did anything wrong... it sounds like the trumpets split parts there... I actually like that trumpet going up.

I love how you can hear John getting really into it...

It doesn't sound very natural to me. At the least, the "split part" certainly isn't present in the original, instrumental version of "Star of Bethlehem."

Yea... I think it was a little too forced... and you're right that it's not in the original recording.... but it makes you wonder where those notes came from if he did mess up... because the horn never plays anything like that lol

Then again, I think this recording has a lot more feeling to it than the other recording... take for instance the pause taken before the last chord and arpeggio...compared to the original recording. there is a much larger pause.... the original is almost intime, where as this has that wait... I like that...

Flub or no flub, I kinda think the general ending to Star of Bethlehem on the HA 2 soundtrack doesn't really fit. It's like it suddenly becomes an action cue, and it never really sat well with me.

Tim

I listen to this charols whenever I want, and never wait for Christmas.

Just out of curiosity, this particular piece was dedicated to Kenny Wannberg.

I agree, I think you can listen to the HA scores thru out the year and not wait for Christmas.

I agree wholeheartedly with all the above. It's a great tune, and I love all the noted statements--as well as the bit when Kevin runs outside after going in the basement. Not as powerful, but I find myself humming it at times.

Another insight on the "meaning" of the carol: In a literal sense, aside from its implications as a theme in the film, I see it sort of as from the shepherds' point of view, seeking help through this star from God, and its minor sound involving their trials in getting to the stable, tense until the very end, when it resolves peacefully in major as they find the baby Jesus. I actually almost kind of picture a brief, dialogue-less movie when I hear the recording on Home Alone 2, Disc Two. Just a thought, from the Christmas carol side of trying to interpret it.

And I agree, I listen to Star of Bethlehem, and the whole score, year-round. :D

It's interesting, when listening to either the orchestral or fully choral renditions of this theme, it's so powerful and reverent that you'd never think it was written for a film like Home Alone. Williams often goes beyond the constraints or even needs of a film, but this is truly in a class by itself in those regards. I love the film, but I'm sure Williams must have found inspiration more from the majesty and beauty of the Christmas season rather than the film itself for the greatness of what he produced for it.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm a fan of Chris Columbus, so I'm sure even without the score the movie would have been great, but when listening to the score you realize why it became the No. 1 movie of the year 1990. The score is what really makes this movie stand head and shoulders above the rest.

I like Home Alone, but it really wouldn't be much without the music.

I think you can say that of any movie that JW scored, except for the very best Spielberg movies. :P