III International Film Music Conference

Mr. Breathmask

We've been discussing this year's International Film Music Conference a bit in the thread on Madrid's Soncinemad Festival, but it really deserves its own topic.

So right now, confirmed guests include David Arnold, John Powell, John Debney, and Bruce Broughton.

So, which JWFans will be there?

As of right now, I've made zero arrangements, trying to figure out what's the best option. But I'm still leaning more towards going to Úbeda than to the Madrid festival. I'm thinking of just going to a travel agency and acquire some info on flights, hotels, and prices and the like. Perhaps some more experienced travellers have other advice?

Discuss!

JWFan attendees:

Mr. Breathmask

Neimoidian

Olivier

scissorhands

Stefan Cosman

???

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fairly likely that I will be there this year.

If I don't face a sudden financial calamity, or get eaten by a bear. (one being more likely then the other).

I do hope they will have 2 concerts instead of one like last year.

Hmmm . . . I had no idea there was such a festival in Madrid. I would like to visit Madrid. And where the heck is Ubeda, anyway? Unfortunately I'm bit low on cash right now . . .

I'm going to Úbeda. But, as you may have guessed, I have no idea about flights. But if you have to fly to Madrid, then you must go to Úbeda by train or bus (unless you want to spend your salary in a taxi). Or with some friend's car, obviously.

Hotels: the organization booked almost every hotel in Úbeda last year, so they made the reservation in your name (you choose the hotel depending on the price, stars, etc. and also how many days you'll stay there). I hope they do the same this year. If you can share one bedroom with a friend it will be much better (single rooms were something like 25-50 euros a day, double rooms 40-60).

You can add Javier Navarrete to the guests list, somebody might like to have his/her Pat's Labyrinth CD get signed.

Well, I don't read every thread here. I'm selective. :huh:

23 Euros! That's pretty good! So, who here is coming for certain? If it's in July, I might come too . . . just gotta start saving now.

Well, I don't read every thread here. I'm selective. :huh:

23 Euros! That's pretty good! So, who here is coming for certain? If it's in July, I might come too . . . just gotta start saving now.

Powell, Debney, Broughton, Arnold and Navarrete. So far.

I'd love to go as an excuse to visit spain and buy a new guitar, but I don't have the money or time to devote to such a cause at the moment. Maybe in a couple years.

Tim

So if I'm not mistaken, you have to fly to Madrid (probably via either Frankfurt or Hamburg if you're flying from Amsterdam and are on a budget), and then take the train for about 3 hours, and then a last bus ride, yes?

Looks like a full day of travel.

So if I'm not mistaken, you have to fly to Madrid (probably via either Frankfurt or Hamburg if you're flying from Amsterdam and are on a budget), and then take the train for about 3 hours, and then a last bus ride, yes?

Looks like a full day of travel.

I took a direct bus from Madrid to Úbeda.

Looks like it's first plane-then subway-then bus (or first train, then bus). I'm a bit discouraged by the travelling route. In what kind of a dump do they hold these film music events anyway.

Hotels: the organization booked almost every hotel in Úbeda last year, so they made the reservation in your name (you choose the hotel depending on the price, stars, etc. and also how many days you'll stay there). I hope they do the same this year. If you can share one bedroom with a friend it will be much better (single rooms were something like 25-50 euros a day, double rooms 40-60).

So if I do the preregistering thing, I might not have to worry about finding a hotel? When will we know if the organisation is doing this again? How exactly did it work last year?

Isn't it better for you to fly to Malaga instead of Madrid Marc?

I believe the bus/train journey would be a lot shorter.

Also, be advised that if you travel without a native, you might have to deal with some language barriers.

Englisg is not as widespread in small Spanish town as it is here.

If I do end up goint to this thing, I am going by Madrid, so perhaps we could arrange some sort of meet up. My Spanish is far from perfect, but it is reasonable enough.

So if I do the preregistering thing, I might not have to worry about finding a hotel? When will we know if the organisation is doing this again? How exactly did it work last year?

Preregister phase is going to end this saturday and the final registration will start. Don't worry if you were not pre-registered, it's not important (it just made sure a better place in the concert). As for the hotels, I will send them an e-mail to ask for information.

• 2 weeks later...

I just re-registered and paid. For some reason the price has gone up 40 %, inflation must have hit Spain hard. :D

When July gets closer I think we should do a list with everyone here who's going, so we could perhaps arrange a decent JWFAN.NET gathering, that will make the one in Boston seems like kattenpis. ;)

I just re-registered and paid. For some reason the price has gone up 40 %, inflation must have hit Spain hard. :D

It's allegedly to avoid last year's loss or deficit and afford a little more decent orchestra ...I'm not happy with it either.

Re-registered?

I've received confirmation of my pre-registration and payment, saying I would also get a message with username and password to complete my registration. Haven't seen that yet.

When July gets closer I think we should do a list with everyone here who's going, so we could perhaps arrange a decent JWFAN.NET gathering, that will make the one in Boston seems like kattenpis. ;)

And hell yeah!

I'm really considering going to this. I'll probably go with Romão, either by car -- i.e. mine -- or by train to Madrid, and bus to Ubeda.

And would be such a treat to meet up with all of you guys...

Naturally, it would be a great honor, for both of you.

Naturally :P

At the first glance I thought you had written "horror", not "honor" :)

No, never... I know that Stefan is a really nice guy, despite his efforts to look the other way around.

I could not attend last year, and missed a wonderful event. I would love to go this time-- but I have already missed the pre-registration to get one of the best seats. :P

The problem will be going there, of course. I don't speak Spanish, by the way. They had better speak French. Or English.

Anyway, if I can make it-- and even if I can't-- I guess board members could arrange to meet somewhere easy in Madrid. Captain Cosman could lead the away team from there ;)

Which is the better? Plane to Madrid or to Granada or some place nearer Ubeda? It looks like a rocky mountainous place on the map.

Couldn't they have chosen some place easy to go, like, say, Paris, for instance? :)

Seriously: how was this town chosen?

I send them my money today, so it will take few more days to get registered. I will probably get a seat in the last row too :P Now I have to find myself a place to sleep and some decent transport.

Couldn't they have chosen some place easy to go, like, say, Paris, for instance? :P

Seriously: how was this town chosen?

The best place woudl be Oporto, naturally. We have the gorgeus Casa da Música (House of Music), which is actually not so gorgeus, at least the actual concert hall, and a great orchesta, the ONP, which as I'm told, lack the professionalism of any serious orchestra...

I did recently atended a concert of them with music by Herrmann, my friend Nuno Malo (www.nunomalo.com), and Prokofiev, and well... they weren't all that hot. Surely no BSO or LSO.