The Official Other (Non Film Score) Music Thread

BurgaFlippinMan

Now I'm sure some of us here listen to something else apart from film scores. I'm starting this thread to provide a place to discuss it all. ROTFLMAO

So what other stuff have you guys been into lately? I've really taken a liking to indie pop bands such as Camera Obscura and Belle & Sebastian in recent weeks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm not a big fan of film scores. I am interested in how music works in films, but soundtracks are not (in general) my favourite music. John Williams is different, though.

I really love classical music, of all styles, and I consider film music the natural "sequel" of classical music in the 20th and 21st century. So, I consider Williams to be a classical composer, not just a film composer.

Appart from classical music, which is my favourite, I can listen almost every kind of music, depending on the moment.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of film scores. I am interested in how music works in films, but soundtracks are not (in general) my favourite music. John Williams is different, though.

That's my type of situation, too.

I like to think that I'm a fan of talent, not of genres. But that's different wording for "I like a few, disperse, composers here and there". I'm more of a rock'n'roll kind of guy.

The Beatles = Backstreet Boys in the 60's, by the way.

Oh, yes, and you can trust Ross about this topic. He is in no way biased.

This past week I've been listening to Rolling Stones' Forty Licks, Jethro Tull's Aqualong, Ayreon's The Human Equation (which was surprisingly good), IQ's Dark Matter, Evergreay's Recreation Day (which I hated), Sinergy's Suicide By My Side (pretty fun), and Symphony X's The New Mythology Suite.

I can go from Rap, to R&B, Hip Hop, Country, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, etc you name it I'll listen to it. Well except for oldies and classical...

And yet you love John Williams? ROTFLMAO

I really love classical music, of all styles, and I consider film music the natural "sequel" of classical music in the 20th and 21st century. So, I consider Williams to be a classical composer, not just a film composer.

Appart from classical music, which is my favourite, I can listen almost every kind of music, depending on the moment.

My feelings exactly.

Film music is my #1 genre, but I also really enjoy alternative rock like The All-American Rejects, Yellowcard, Green Day, Cartel, etc. I don't have many, but showtunes are usually fun, and enjoy the few classical recordings I own (mostly Holst's The Planets, various Copland works, portions of Schubert's 8th and 9th). I detest rap, and country isn't much better. Other than that, though, I'm not too picky...I just like feel-good music, and I tend to be less critical of popular music than I am of film music, probably because I expect less of it.

Ray Barnsbury - who loves The Beatles

Rap, R&B, Rock, and Film Score are my main types of music. I pretty much will listen to anything as long as it's good. As of right now 'm into Jason Mraz, John Legend, Led Zeppelin, The Faint, Postal Service and my top of the top Beyonce. I love her :D

Anton Bruckner & The Rolling Stones. Also Richard Wagner, Richard Strauss, Jean Sibelius, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, The Dresden Dolls, Muse, and lots more.

My taste is actually very broad, there are songs from pretty much every genre that I like. I'm fan of The Beatles, Queen, and The Stones.

'Course, everyone knows the greatest band on earth is Tenacious D.

I do listen to a lot of music that's not film music - mostly classical, but also the Rolling Stones and the Beatles and various others. But none of my musical interests are really focused as much as my interest in film scores - while I enjoy a lot of classical music I don't know enough to say which type of composers I tend to like. Some of Mozart's music I love, some of it just doesn't do anything for me at all. I'm yet to detect a "pattern" in what I do and don't like, if that makes sense.

Anton Bruckner & The Rolling Stones.

That's an album I'd like to hear. :lol:

Broadway / operetta music. Leonard Bernstein is amazing, and Rodgers & Hammerstein aren't quite as light and fluffy as people make them out to be. In my opinion, their music got progressively more boring from The King and I to The Sound of Music. The earlier classics - Oklahoma! Carousel and South Pacific) - are the best. Some of these new rock/pop musicals are good, but I don't generally like the style.

Classical music. Voluminous amounts of treasure to find here. Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Holst, Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky, to name a few (Mozart, ehhh).

Rock music. Mostly a case-by-case interest. I generally prefer oldies, but sometimes I hear random new songs that are pretty good, like these. Another song that piqued my interest was this one.

I can go from Rap, Hip Hop, Country, you name it I'll listen to it. Well except for classical...

And this man called me an idiot because I hate the movie ID4.

Rodgers & Hammerstein aren't quite as light and fluffy as people make them out to be.

:lol::blink::blink:

Personally I'm very selective about music . Of classical Mahler's 8. is great and Wagners Parsifal is perfect.

Some Rock pieces(Not Rock'n Roll!!!) are also great , no names , as I said very selectively.

(JW allround)

Oh, yes, and you can trust Ross about this topic. He is in no way biased.

I have spent many frustrating hours listening to The Beatles and they still got nowhere near "Sticky Fingers".

Now, in the later years, once they finally got on drugs (Bob Dylan introduced them to marijuana, says the myth), they got much better. So much better they felt it was too different and split up. Anyway, it's easy for me to say this after this post, but I think this age-old debate (Beatles vs. Stones) is the only issue more beaten-to-death than bashing Lucasfilm.

Oh, and I'm also into musicals, at least the good ones.

Scores are my #1 type of music.

I do however like some '80's stuff, a lot of both classic and modern American songs, some Michael Jackson, and just anything I hear that I like.

And a great deal of my songs collection have some connection to a film - a common source for hearing new songs actually.

I can't stand rap either, but I do like some country. Johnny Cash is god.

Indeed. I never really got what the whole deal was with rap. And the whole current Timbaland sound too. I mean, he does have a recognizable sound but I'm beginning to feel its becoming overexposed to Zimmer-esque levels.

90% of the film music I listen to is Williams. The remainder is divided between Morricone, Yared, Thomas Newman and a couple of others...

Classical music: I don't go mad on the 'romantics' so much. I listen to Bach, Purcell, and a lot of Handel, who I love, and can't help feeling is a bit under-rated - to me he's one of the absolute greats. Then - taking on board a bit of Beethoven (to my mind the first movement - not the last - of the 9th symphony is the greatest piece of music ever written) and Brahms - I tend to hop to the 20th-century: Prokofiev (perhaps the most Williamsy of 'serious' composers), Stravinsky, Britten, Copland, and, a great love of mine, Tippett. His 'Fantasia Concertante on a Theme of Correlli' - particularly trhe unique, astonishing fugue at its centre - was the soundtrack to my tortured adolescence.

Pop/rock: I don't often sit down and listen to this, although I do admire Coldplay and Keane as song-writers. Occasionally I dabble with The Smiths and The Cure. And Madness always cheers me up.

Outside of film scores, I generally like the more romantic orchestral style, and some elements of 20th century classical.

I really like jazz, and I am probably one of two seventeen-year-olds on the planet who really care for it as well as standards, oldies, and musicals.

I like well-done pop/rock music. Well-done can cover really strong musical quality, or enough enthusiasm and passion to overcome musical shortcomings. For me, a lot of what pop music I hear today doesn't really go into either category, sadly. My favorite band is probably Audio Adrenaline. Another favorite artist of mine is Steve Taylor--if you find an album of his from the past couple of years, you've found the wrong Steve Taylor. "I Predict 1990" and "Squint" are probably my two favorite albums of his.

Film scores are my favorite type of music, and is my first love so to speak. As in, that's what I mainly listen to.

I can go from Rap, to R&B, Hip Hop, Country, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, etc you name it I'll listen to it. Well except for oldies and classical...

And yet you love John Williams? :rolleyes:

I never said I love John Williams. I just like some of his scores. What's wrong with liking Williams music and the music I listed above too? :P!

Of course film scores are definitely music I will 99% of the time listen to. I generally have to be in a certain mood to listen to the other genre of music (like what I listed, etc), well that is if I'm with friends then I have no choice lol.

I'm a big fan of Iron Maiden, but that's my only real allegiance to a particular group. Tchaikovsky is my favorite classical composer. I enjoy some songs of The Beatles, Queen, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Bone Thugs, and too many others to count.

I really like jazz, and I am probably one of two seventeen-year-olds on the planet who really care for it as well as standards, oldies, and musicals.

Oh, yeah, jazz, I forgot. It's awesome. Better played than listened to, though, I think.

Oh, yeah, jazz, I forgot. It's awesome. Better played than listened to, though, I think.

"Jazz musicians enjoy themselves more than anyone listening to them does."

From 24 Hour Party People, doesn't mean I necessarily agree with that, but there's some truth.

This past week I've been listening to Rolling Stones' Forty Licks, Jethro Tull's Aqualong, Ayreon's The Human Equation (which was surprisingly good), IQ's Dark Matter, Evergreay's Recreation Day (which I hated), Sinergy's Suicide By My Side (pretty fun), and Symphony X's The New Mythology Suite.

Such posts really freak me out.

Film scores tower above everything else for me. Sometimes I take a liking to the various songs that are included, such as "A Place In The Sun" from Charlotte's Web (although I had to rip it from the DVD as it wasn't included on the soundtrack). Phil Collins' "On My Way" from Brother Bear is fun as well as his songs from Tarzan.

Before film scores I was really into classic rock. Herman's Hermits, some Beatles and Beach Boys. Also some folk music like The Kingston Trio. Some new age, like Enya and David Arkenstone ("Through the Gates" from his album "In the Wake of the Wind" particularly) - I'm fond of the Irish/Celtic sound.

But I find that 'other music' just can't take me to the same heights as Williams, Goldsmith and the rest. Elegant music for a more civilized age.

That about sums me up too. Classical forms probably 80% of my collection. I own very few scores outside John Williams (the odd Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrman, Waxman, Barry and the like). I love electronic music, especially the Berlin school: Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis etc. I also love Bowie, Mike Oldfield (until about 1994), and The Orb.

Recent acts I am into are Goldfrapp, Air, Blue October, and especially the genius that is Sufjan Stevens.

AC/DC, Abba, Queen, Yes, Pink Floyd. Great!

It really is quite fair to say that I have a very eclectic taste in music. I hate Rap and Country, but then doesn't everyone with taste?

Although my iPod is dominated by film scores I have a good bit of Modern Rock and Alternative on there, Linkin Park has to be my favorite, My Chemical Romance, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Goo Goo Dolls.

I also listen to WXQR (the NY classical music station) while doing my homework and I enjoy that (not enough to track down the classical music and download it but enough to get me through my work without dying of boredom).

I listen to pretty much anything non-rap and hip-hop. If some song like that comes on the radio I for some reason get some odd feeling to take a gun and kill myself, nooooo clue why. ;)

KMFDM, Muse, NiN, 30 Seconds to Mars, Korn.

Muse are awesome stuff. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but so are the other bands I mentioned..check them out.

I was into rap and heavy metal for a period of my early life before I got into film scores, but now I despise the stuff. Now I'll switch day-by-day between film scores and classic rock.

Favorite Composers: John Williams, Ennio Morricone, James Newton Howard, Danny Elfman, Michael Giacchino, John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams, Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, and Eric Serra.

Musical Artitsts: Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, David Bowie, Elton John, The Who, The Doors, Santana, Creedence Clearwater Revival...

That is the dumbest f**king thing I have ever read on these message boards. If you truly believe this, you are utterly ignorant of music and rock music history. The Beatles WROTE almost all their music themselves, especially after 1965. And this was in an era when it was expected and even demanded that artists do mostly cover songs. The Backstreet Boys don't write shit. The Beatles played almost all the instruments themselves. The Backstreet Boys probably couldn't play chopsticks on a piano. The Beatles pushed the artistic boundaries of rock/pop music to dramatic new levels. The Backstreet Boys copped the same boyband formula since the Monkees and borrowed heavily from New Kids on the Block. There's nothing new or creative or groundbreaking in their music whatsoever.

That is the dumbest f**king thing I have ever read on these message boards.

Which is an achievement in itself.

If you truly believe this, you are utterly ignorant of music and rock music history.

That's an opinion I don't hear too often.

The Beatles WROTE almost all their music themselves, especially after 1965. And this was in an era when it was expected and even demanded that artists do mostly cover songs. The Backstreet Boys don't write shit.

That doesn't make stuff like "Hello, Goodbye" any better.

The Beatles played almost all the instruments themselves. The Backstreet Boys probably couldn't play chopsticks on a piano. The Beatles pushed the artistic boundaries of rock/pop music to dramatic new levels. The Backstreet Boys copped the same boyband formula since the Monkees and borrowed heavily from New Kids on the Block. There's nothing new or creative or groundbreaking in their music whatsoever.

The Beatles' music is catchy and full of the 60's sound, which doesn't automatically make it any good, or less commercial, or interesting to listen to. Although they can be fun from time to time, since most everybody knows the songs.

As for the "artistic boundaries of rock/pop music" explored by "Penny Lane", I believe people like Brian Jones and Syd Barret were already working on finding out how far rock music could go. Heck, even Zappa was starting to be active in those days. In fact, it was in 1965, while the Beatles sang "A Hard Day's Night" through America, when the already idolized Bob Dylan recorded his Highway 61 Revisited. "Like a Rolling Stone" opens that album. Not only did The Beatles love it because it was so long for the time, and it had a totally uncommercial (although simple) structure, but it kind of pushed the boundaries of rock music at the time. By the way, there's the irony that Dylan toured England that year.

So I really think that, nostalgic historical labels derived for mass following aside, the Beatles were a rock boyband which disintegrated when its members finally got interesting as musicians.

I guess their progression made the band loose its purpose.

Oh I hate the Beatles , so much overrated . Without any mind expansion stuff they would have been nothing.

Queen and Freddie Mercury beat the 6 - 0.

As a top musician myself I've always prefer the cool professional touch more(like TOTO and the others)

Oh I hate the Beatles , so much overrated . Without any mind expansion stuff they would have been nothing.

Queen and Freddie Mercury beat the 6 - 0.

As a top musician myself I've always prefer the cool professional touch more(like TOTO and the others)

"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL fucking high on drugs." - Bill Hicks

That's accurate for the bubblegum style of their music pre-Revolver, but they were in no way a manufactured band and actually knew how to play instruments, rather than wearing headsets at concerts and dancing to pre-recorded crap like a bunch of six year olds. Then, from Revolver on, they took charge of their music and became something really special. People who say that their entire run was that of a boy band are completely ignorant (in no way targeting you Elmo). People still listen to The Beatles now. Will the same be said for the Backstreet Boys in forty years? Highly doubtful. Did the Backstreet Boys change the face of popular music? Not on your life.

People still listen to The Beatles now. Will the same be said for the Backstreet Boys in forty years? Highly doubtful.

Nobody listens to the Backstreet Boys now. :D

My point is not in response to "are the Beatles good?" or "do you like the Beatles" or "do you think the Beatles are overrated?" Those subjects are much easier to dispute, debate and discuss. I find the assertion that the Beatles are like the Backstreet Boys to be ignorant and laughable. Bubble Gum or not, pop or not, there are certain facts involved here that prove you wrong. Playing instruments and writing music themselves are the two undeniable facts that demolish your ridiculous statement. Whatever else one says about the Beatles, one cannot get around that they were and remained musicians who played their own stuff and wrote their own stuff.

Okay, Strilo. i was aiming to make a point through hyperbole. Meaning I was exaggerating. Meaning it doesn't literally express my point, but it does help get the message that I don't like the Beatles through. Better now?

If you want a closer look at the facts, clean from my rock-wise ignorant opinion, Goldsmithfan has explained himself quite eloquently.