Music that gives you the chills

Trumpeteer

This was on the Entertainment Weekly blog today:

When was the last time you experienced entertainment-induced chills? Here's why I'm asking: I just watched the Flashdance: Special Collector's Edition DVD, out Sept. 18, and when the chorus to "What a Feelin'" kicked in during Alex's audition, I got one.

Now I've spent a good hour Googling to find out what physically happened in my body at that moment. (I experience this frequently, so I'm curious.) I didn't find any explanation that made sense. I just don't get how this could be related to the "Fight or Flight response" when I would never want to fight or flee such awesomeness. (If you know the answer, do tell.) But I did stumble onto this 2006 article, which says there's an institute in Germany studying why we get chills from music. "Our results suggest that chills depend very much on our ability to interpret the music," said Oliver Grewe, a biologist and musicologist at the Institute for Music Physiology and Musicians' Medicine in Hanover. "Music is a recreative activity. Even if it is relaxing to listen to, the listener has to recreate its meaning, the feelings it expresses. It is the listener who gives life to the emotions in music."

That makes sense: When the "What a Feelin'" chorus kicks in, I know that means Alex (Jennifer Beals) will make it through the audition — and that in a moment or two, she'll run into the street with an euphoric feeling of accomplishment that I'm envious of. Annie Barrett and I were just IM'ing about another film, Girls Just Want to Have Fun (because that's what we do), and she admitted she gets chills at the "Look at me now, I can fly-eeeee!" part of the "rehearsal" montage in the middle of the film. Why? "Because I know what's coming at the end of the movie — that same lift, but this time with so much at stake!"

Let's start or our own study: What moments in movies, TV shows or songs have given you chills, and why?

Then, in the comments section, someone named "Tipper" wrote this:

Oh man, when it comes to movies, John Williams is my God. I can't separate Darth Vader from his music anymore than I could resist putting the Indiana Jones theme on my phone. Hell, even just hearing the opening strains of the Harry Potter music gets me. Admittedly, his music is tightly wound into my love of the movies, but his music is such a major part of all of them. I mean, can you imagine Jaws without that slow, gorgeous build up?

And this is what I wrote:

The moment when ET and Elliot fly past the moon. Not necessarily that iconic shot of them and the moon, but that moment when Elliot gets that euphoric feeling of flying that he lets out a scream of joy, and John Williams' theme kicks it up a notch. Oh, boy.

OK. Your turn.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many but off the top of my head, the moment in Poltergeist when Carol-Ann says 'Hi Daddy' (from the 'Other Side') and her father responds with "Hello sweet pea". Goldsmith plays her lullaby so tenderly there it almost makes me shed a tear. The extremely touching acting of everyone in the scene adds greatly to the overall effect too, but the music makes it, as always.

In a very recent example, Ilan Eshkeri's score to "Stardust" has many such moments. The biggest one for me, though, is when Peter O'Toole's necklace flies out the window and knocks the star out of the sky, sending it careening to Earth. And there's also the Coronation scene at the end. In a more abstract sense, the music I desperately want to hear over certain scenes of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is on the list too.

Song from Williams' Cello Concerto.

Adventures on Earth from ET

Star Wars Main Title

Summon the Heroes

Toy Planes, Home and Earth

Sabrina opening credits

Superman March

Planet Kripton

The Mission Theme

Hymn to the Fallen

and so many others...

Ending of the Prokovief's Romeo and Juliet : The Death of Juliet.

That mysterious brass build up(back to the C major) to the final statement of the love theme.

Performed the ballet or the orch. suite several times and it always gives me chills(and most of the times also tears)

Monica's "resurrection" in A.I.

Also, and more specifically, the solo at the end (about the last three minutes) of the Allegro in Bach's "Brandenburg Concerto Nº 5". When done right, that is.

I know one recent one that always gets me is the complete fanfare at the end of Anakin's Dark Deeds.

Totally agree with you there, I think that ending is creepy and scary, the movie version is much better than the OST version though

1) The helicopter entering Isla Nublar skies in Jurassic Park.

2) Seeing Hogwarts for the first time in HP:SS.

3) Peter Pan flying for the first time in Hook.

4) Superman getting ready to change his costume in Superman.

5) Alien spacecraft entering New York skies in Independence Day.

6) E.T. and Elliott taking off in E.T.

These moments really give me chills.

I see I can conclude that the greatest Williams moments in my view have something to do with flying :rolleyes:

Definitely. That is maybe my favorite moment in that entire score, in what is my favorite track. :rolleyes:

The moment when ET and Elliot fly past the moon. Not necessarily that iconic shot of them and the moon, but that moment when Elliot gets that euphoric feeling of flying that he lets out a scream of joy, and John Williams' theme kicks it up a notch. Oh, boy.

The finale to The Good, The Bad And The Ugly. The three slowly move into place in the center of the graveyard, and Leone's ingenious style matched with Morricone's brilliant talent forms the ultimate build up to the greatest duel ever.

Definitely. That is maybe my favorite moment in that entire score, in what is my favorite track. ;)

Agreed. That has stood out to me as a fantastic example of film and music matching into something really awesome for some time.

Definitely. That is maybe my favorite moment in that entire score, in what is my favorite track. :thumbup:

Agreed. That has stood out to me as a fantastic example of film and music matching into something really awesome for some time.

Music that gives me serious goosebumps include "You are the Pan", "Rememberences" from Schindler's List", the Forrest Gump theme, and a lot more of JW smaller tracks that don't seem to get a lot of attention. I am sure there are more, but I can't think of them all right now. I go through stages....one week it's "You are the Pan", and the next week it is the main theme from Pearl Harbor (which I just heard about a week ago).

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

Oh yes! It also forms the opening music of the film Rowing With the Wind.

I'd add Vangelis' haunting opening music to Bitter Moon.

The final chord from Kraftwerk's Autobahn.

The climax to Wagner's Liebestod.

From ESB, the music accompanying the scene when Yoda warns Luke, "Decide you must how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could... but you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered."

The coda to Bruckner's 4th symphony. Followed by the coda to his 8th. Also the "coda" (more or less) to Götterdämmerung.

Any of these stand a good chance to leave me sobbing at a live performance when done right...

Oh yes!

2) Seeing Hogwarts for the first time in HP:SS.

4) Superman getting ready to change his costume in Superman.

5) Alien spacecraft entering New York skies in Independence Day.

6) E.T. and Elliott taking off in E.T.

These moments really give me chills.

I see I can conclude that the greatest Williams moments in my view have something to do with flying :huh:

Good choices.

Hmm for me...

Battle Of Hoth and Battle Of Yavin...

"Red Alert" and the openings from "April 4th, 2063" from First Contact.

Hmmm.I'm refering to movie scenes,not the music tracks on the c.d.

1)Jaws:the whole first encounter with the shark(Man aganst Beast)

2)Close encounters:when Roy is surrounded by the aliens and gets dragged into the spaceship

3)Empire Strikes BacK:Yoda lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp

4)Empire Strikes Back:Carbon freezing sequence

5)Raiders:when the light beam hits the model map

6)Return of the Jedi:Luke overpowers Vader(The Dark Side Beckons)

7)E.T. :The goodbye scene

8)Temple of Doom:Indy swings into the mine car with his whip.

10)Last Crusade:When Indy crosses the invisible bridge

11)Harry Potter and the Philosophers' Stone:when Harry catches the snitch and wins the quidditch match

12)Revenge of the Sith:Jedi purge sequence(Anakin's Betrayal)

13)Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban:Buckbeak's Flight

:huh:

Now I'm gettingh interested :P Is it Williams like style writing? Is there a link to mp3 available?

Now I'm gettingh interested :huh: Is it Williams like style writing?

Well, it *is* Williams, in a way... Ralph Vaughan, that is.

Horner's Sneakers has some bits that are much like it, and also Troy, from what I remember (didn't it even use a direct quote?)

Trinity Definitely - Matrix Revolutions - Don Davis

The part where the clarinet comes in with the love theme always gives me goosebumps. So tragic but so beautiful and in a very weird way hopeful.

1. Spider-Man 2 - Opening Titles. Every. Freaking. Time.

2. Prisoner of Azkaban - Buckbeak's Flight.

3. The Truman Show - Truman Sleeps.

4. The Truman Show - Truman's Dad returns.

5. Revenge of the Sith - Anakin's Betrayal (Order 66)

6. Return of the King - "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!"

7. Matrix Revolutions - Neodammerung (Neo VS Smith)

8. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Debriefing.

Just to let you know, guys, if you have a PS2, there is a very important game that you have to play. It is the only video game that I can call art.

Shadow of the Colossus.

Really. As much as a Metal Gear fanboy as I am, there is no denying that this game has got to be the most engaging, cinematic, and utterly beautiful game you will ever play. Oh, and Metal Gear Solid 3's ending is easily the saddest ending in history.

Yes I remember that Friday evening opening night, I'll never forget the horns blaring. It was perfect. That whole sequence where they see the dinosaurs is just perfect and hair-raising.

Trinity Definitely - Matrix Revolutions - Don Davis

The part where the clarinet comes in with the love theme always gives me goosebumps. So tragic but so beautiful and in a very weird way hopeful.

Nice choice indeed.

1. Spider-Man 2 - Opening Titles. Every. Freaking. Time.

Ab-so-lutely :nod:

I love the main titles for all 3 Spideys - the energy, the strength of the two themes and construction of them all is just amazing. It's one of the first tracks I go for when I need to improve my mood.

Agreed. Danny Elfman is indeed a master of main titles cues: Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Spider-Man 1 and 2...I find the Spidey scores to be underrated. People say it doesn't have much personality and stuff, but I tell you what, Elfman's absence in 3 was pretty clear to me. It's a shame that even his new themes didn't get used.

I actually preferred Young's score to Elfman's. I think it only really comes down to orchestration to be honest, but even with the complete scores to Spidey 1 and 2 around, I still listen to what's available of Spidey 3 a heck of a lot more. Plus, the film version of the 3rd Main Titles is currently my favourite. Also, the Deborah Lurie reworking of Elfman's themes I find a lot more enjoyable than Elfman's originals for some reason. Call that blasphemous if you want, but that's how I feel.

Which reminds me - if anyone wants to hear the film mix of the Main Titles and Birth of Sandman (same as the promo but a different recording for the final brass section) plus a few other rips, in great sound quality, PM me.

Agreed. Danny Elfman is indeed a master of main titles cues: Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Spider-Man 1 and 2...I find the Spidey scores to be underrated. People say it doesn't have much personality and stuff, but I tell you what, Elfman's absence in 3 was pretty clear to me. It's a shame that even his new themes didn't get used.

I agree. Most of his best work is in his main titles.

I actually preferred Young's score to Elfman's. I think it only really comes down to orchestration to be honest, but even with the complete scores to Spidey 1 and 2 around, I still listen to what's available of Spidey 3 a heck of a lot more. Plus, the film version of the 3rd Main Titles is currently my favourite. Also, the Deborah Lurie reworking of Elfman's themes I find a lot more enjoyable than Elfman's originals for some reason. Call that blasphemous if you want, but that's how I feel.

Which reminds me - if anyone wants to hear the film mix of the Main Titles and Birth of Sandman (same as the promo but a different recording for the final brass section) plus a few other rips, in great sound quality, PM me.

... Wow. Young's orchestrations are good, but his music is incredibly campy.

Agreed. Danny Elfman is indeed a master of main titles cues: Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Spider-Man 1 and 2...

Indeed, he always seems to throw in a Main Title...a great staple of Elfman's work. I'd add to that list Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Family Man, Corpse Bride, and Charlotte's Web. All great, varied, yet very Elfmanesque tracks. I think that the opening from Batman Returns ("Birth of a Penguin," part 1) is probably the most quintessentially Elfman piece ever, though. Such a treat!

Ray Barnsbury

Agreed. Danny Elfman is indeed a master of main titles cues: Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Spider-Man 1 and 2...

Indeed, he always seems to throw in a Main Title...a great staple of Elfman's work. I'd add to that list Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Family Man, Corpse Bride, and Charlotte's Web. All great, varied, yet very Elfmanesque tracks. I think that the opening from Batman Returns ("Birth of a Penguin," part 1) is probably the most quintessentially Elfman piece ever, though. Such a treat!

Ray Barnsbury

Great, yes. As for varied....

Big Fish and Charlotte's Web are certainly cousins, with that country feel. But Charlie is pretty distinct, especially with that synthesizer, Family Man has a unique, bustling Christmas feel, and Corpse Bride is a more stately, Victorian sounding piece. All definitely have that recognizable Elfman stamp, but I think they show a nice variety.

Ray Barnsbury