Rick McCallum hopes

Luke Skywalker

:) I mean what?

How can he expect the maestro to work in a TV series?

And he even wants to do an original score per episode. Like the young indy chronicles.

I dont see it feasible. And really, i dont know if i want Williams to 'lower himself' doing TV series or even that be his last work :o

Of course if he could just compose some new themes for the main characters, and having other composers do the actual scores that wouldnt be that bad at all. But let it be a one CD full of themes to promote a CD release... :)

Well here are the news (from an interview in a convention in france:

click

- il aimerait beaucoup que John Williams fasse la musique de la série, mais il est encore tôt pour en discuter avec lui

- chaque épisode aura une musique originale et différente, comme s'il s'agissait chaque semaine d'un nouveau film

Translation:

-He(McCallum) would love to have John Williams to do the music of the series, but it has not been discussed with him yet.

-Each episode will have an original and different music, as if each week it was a new film

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams should tell them no thanks, he's done with Star Wars and refuses to take part in the continuing destruction of the franchise.

Williams should stay far away from anything with the words "Star Wars" on it. After the way his music was (dis)respected in the prequels, McCallum and anyone else who asks Williams back deserves a polite "Fuck no!"

Ray Barnsbury

Williams should stay far away from anything with the words "Star Wars" on it. After the way his music was (dis)respected in the prequels, McCallum and anyone else who asks Williams back deserves a polite "Fuck no!"

Ray Barnsbury

This just came in mind:

AngryWilliams.jpg

:)

TV series? Give it to Giacchino.

with his limited talent TV is as high as he should shoot for.

with his limited talent TV is as high as he should shoot for.

This statement is not very well thought out. You don't need much talent to work in the movie industry. Media Ventures and their vast amounts of jobs should've told you enough (but somehow it didn't, Joe, why is that?).

To me, it would be Johnny Williams coming full circle to a most appropriate coda.

It is debatable whether Williams went full circle with the prequels, and a bunch of TV shows will do more damage than good to the continuity that is left.

It's predictable.

Just turn your back to it.

Now!

Joel McNeely would be a fantastic choice. He's had experience with Lucas and McCallum with Young Indy, and has had experience with Star Wars. I'd love it if he does the scores.

It would be wonderful (and perhaps even likely?) if Williams would provide a main theme and a pilot, with subsequent leitmotifs for some of the new main characters.

And I really hope the rest of the job goes to Joel McNeely, who would be a natural and welcome choice, and someone who could reprise Williams' material with at least a certain measure of grace and elegance.

Williams really shouldn't have to waste his time on much more concerned with the Star Wars universe (and what it has become).

It would be wonderful (and perhaps even likely?) if Williams would provide a main theme and a pilot, with subsequent leitmotifs for some of the new main characters.

And I really hope the rest of the job goes to Joel McNeely, who would be a natural and welcome choice, and someone who could reprise Williams' material with at least a certain measure of grace and elegance.

Williams really shouldn't have to waste his time on much more concerned with the Star Wars universe (and what it has become).

I think he should do more than one full episode. Mainly the ones that will be 'adventurous' as I am sure there will be those that are boring details of the formation of the rebellion.

I do not think he shoulod provide motifs for other composers to expand upon. There are already enough of those and the Star Wars series is not very consistent with little motifs. But Williams should use his OWN new motifs. I am just not thrilled about the idea of other composers being limited by anything but style. Maybe if these composers would be free to compose something new, they'll be more than 'variations on Williams' which is a cheap and demeaning thing, musically.

So is this show actually going to have significant investment in the music a la Young Indy or Amazing Stories? Because the Clone Wars series just featured the mostly insignificant synthesizer workings of Tartavosky's cartoon composers.

I don't see John having any desire or reason to do this, and I don't blame him.

Just use bits from previous scores (Clone Wars, anyone).

I think if they are willing to pay for Williams, they should first pay him to fix/finish the prequel scores. If they want those films to have a chance at being re-looked at as equals to the originals by future generations, they need to fix the patchwork application and incompleteness of the prequel scores.

'-Each episode will have an original and different music, as if each week it was a new film"

Does McCallum realize the irony in that statement? LOL. Of the prequels, only TPM had original and different music.

To me, it would be Johnny Williams coming full circle to a most appropriate coda.

It is debatable whether Williams went full circle with the prequels, and a bunch of TV shows will do more damage than good to the continuity that is left.

It's predictable.

Just turn your back to it.

Now!

I meant that Williams started out on crappy TV shows :P.

The Oscars don't mean anything anymore, not after Babel!

The Oscars haven't meant anything for awhile. The Academy is biased and their choices suck, let alone represent anything about the film-makers that win.

I'm still upset that a piece of crap like Brokeback Mountain won over Memoirs AND Munich. I predicted Babel taking home the award, but I can't really complain because really bad scores have been nominated in the past 2 years, with the exception of Williams' work. How the hell did The Departed not get nominated? Give it everything else but score, that was a shock.

I would rather JW does a new movie, but of all the TV shows, this would be my first choice. I would want him to stay commited, as long as it doesn't conflict with his movie scoring. If it does, then I would prefer just a couple of themes, or just a main theme (but I think it'll probably just be theme from Star Wars). If he does score all the episodes. I really hope we get a soundtrack release. I would rather they reuse music from the prequels, then decide to release a TV soundtrack, thus releasing all the unreleased bits from the prequels. I can dream!

deserves a polite "Fuck no!"

That is an oximoron.

Of the prequels, only TPM had original and different music.

Not true.

Maybe Williams will do the pilot episode or the theme or something

Yeah, a Williams scored pilot would be good, then hand it off to someone else. Other controversial issues aside, it's not realistic at Williams' age and career point to expect him to take on a full time TV scoring role. Those guys have to produce a lot of material in very short order.

Mmmmm, yummy. If that happened I'd rather Williams not be involved so Giacchino could put his stamp on it from the start.

Of the prequels, only TPM had original and different music.

Not true.

That is to say, only TPM had exclusively original material, while the next 2 infamously tracked many key sequences with music recorded for preceding films. This should be corrected with additional composing duties/recording sessions before Williams tackles a side Television project for Lucas.

As for John Crichton saying all TV is the same in that Those guys have to produce a lot of material in very short order.

' although that's usually the norm in TV land, they must know there's no way Williams' would write any faster than his usual pace. Besides, with Young Indy, clearly those scores were not rushed as in an episode of a normal TV show.

I don't understand the idea that Williams must have taken the past 2 years off because his health is waning. If you can write those 5 scores in 2005, it isn't like suddenly you hit a brick wall. More likely he feels very accomplished with those 2005 scores and nothing else of interest has come along - or he's maturing as a person and decided to spend more time with family rather than be a workaholic.

As for John Crichton saying all TV is the same in that Those guys have to produce a lot of material in very short order.

' although that's usually the norm in TV land, they must know there's no way Williams' would write any faster than his usual pace. Besides, with Young Indy, clearly those scores were not rushed as in an episode of a normal TV show.

Young Indy was definately an exception, as was Amazing Stories. But nowadays I can't see any TV show allocating a lot of time and budget to the score. Very few even fork out for full orchestras any more, and just use synths.

I don't understand the idea that Williams must have taken the past 2 years off because his health is waning. If you can write those 5 scores in 2005, it isn't like suddenly you hit a brick wall. More likely he feels very accomplished with those 2005 scores and nothing else of interest has come along - or he's maturing as a person and decided to spend more time with family rather than be a workaholic.

John Williams probably keeled over in his chair after composing incredible original music for 4 films in 1 year. He ain't no Hans.

John Williams probably keeled over in his chair after composing incredible original music for 4 films in 1 year. He ain't no Hans.

Well, 4 scores of Hans effort is probably worth one score of Williams effort. Considering Williams seemed happy to be scoring WOTW and not too run down when interviewed during "The Shark is Not Working" it seems he was doing just fine. After all, he didn't have to quicken his pace for any of those scores. Same old 1 to 2 minutes per day.

deserves a polite "Fuck no!"

That is an oximoron.

Good catch, indy4! Ray, try to read over your responses more carefully next time so that you don't let oxymorons slip into them.

Williams has stayed busy since 2005, it's just not composing the stuff most of you seem to crave from him.

I think it's obvious he's gone into a semi retirement from Hollywood unless Spielberg calls him.