A reply from Mike Matessino in a thread at FSM.

Ollie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? Matesinno doesn't talk about the number of CD's here. I think you are misinterpreting his use of the word big.

However yiu does state a point I made a while back, that from a business POV, it is unwise to release 3 old Indiana Jones scores at roughly the same time that the score to the new film is being released. This would saturate the market.

Why can't they conclude they can't release it at OST level and just try some smaller release where less money is involved and all the fans that really want it can get a copy?

If it's that easy, why don't you just purchase the rights and release it yourself?

I think too a lot of people forget that why some scores aren't released in full form is due to reuse fees and those fees can rack up pretty good. I know that they wanted to include "Death Of Radek" on the Air Force One OST but they couldn't because of the fees.

With Indiana Jones I think only one score was recorded in London if I'm not mistaken (all though I'm sure someone will correct me on that). With Star Wars they don't have to worry about reuse fees but I think that Lucasfilm will release them in time just a matter of when.

On another note, what slightly worries me about Indy 4 is that it not only delays the opportunity to release the old Indy scores, it adds another score to the pack as well. I'm not sure they would release just one of these scores in an expanded form. It's going to be a package deal. But because the Indy 4 OST album will likely be widely available for quite a while releasing a complete version of that will not be deemed feasible for a long time as well, delaying a full release of the old scores even longer.

I understand there are many factors involved in releasing this music and I'm sure there are many people trying very hard to get this music commercially available in good quality and a good package.

But somehow I just feel they missed their chance to get Indy back on the radar big time four years ago. They should have attached a soundtrack project to the DVD release. I know it's quite likely at least someone tried to make that happen, and I don't mean to come off too sour, but in hindsight it seems like the DVD release would have been the best event to attach a soundtrack release. That, or the 25th anniversary of Raiders last year, which for some odd reason went by completely unnoticed.

One of the points he made was completely missed.

They want to release this stuff but sometimes it's not available or out of their hands, and who knows something could be in the works but we don't know about it yet.

One of the points he made was completely missed.

They want to release this stuff but sometimes it's not available or out of their hands, and who knows something could be in the works but we don't know about it yet.

This may be my naive side coming through, but it seems to me that keeping something completely secret until you release it sounds a little dumb. Now I understand that if they were trying to do one and there were loads of problems to sort out, they might not want to get hopes up, but if there were no major problems and it was going to just take time, why not tell people about it? If it's a big release, people might not have the money immediately.

My dad tells me it's 'all about marketing'. Well I absolutely hate marketing and sales depts with all my guts because of how many sugar coated facts and lies come out of their a$$es.

Oh, and the other thing hate are those LotR: CR press releases. Seems to me they're written towards the completely wrong audience. The die-hard LotR fans are the ones who will be buying them, and we don't need to be told how long FotR spent in Amazon's top 100 and a quote from some executive saying how great the music is. Cretins.

My dad tells me it's 'all about marketing'. Well I absolutely hate marketing and sales depts with all my guts because of how many sugar coated facts and lies come out of their a$$es.

Then we're glad you're not the one responsible for release all these scores. Because without arrangements with all these marketing guys, that wouldn't be possible. Hence the secrecy.

Mark,

I think I can speak for Nick as well as other soundtrack producers/label owners when I say that to publicly discuss the specifics of making the deals for these releases can potentially jeopardize them. It's one thing to illuminate the process after something comes out, like ALIEN, but to disclose details beforehand compromises the trust that we have built with the entities involved.

It should be apparent that the bigger the title is, the less it should be discussed. It should also be obvious that producers and the record labels would certainly like the big titles and that the relationships that could potentially lead to them happening are constantly being nurtured. To go into detail about that process in public would be unprofessional.

The best thing is for everyone to be patient and know that if a title isn't happening that it's not for lack of trying on our part. We know what titles everyone wants, mainly because we'd like them too, so in the meantime we appreciate everyone's continued support and hope that you all enjoy the variety of titles that we all work hard to get out there.

Does that help?

You're comparing the re-release of a still easily available product with the expansion of high demand out of print scores to major blockbuster franchises.

I hardly think that's fair.

I hope I don't lose much more MB popularity points.

I think it's a little late for that.

That's fine if you have blacklisted me forever.I thought you were always ok even when others thought you were annoying at times.

Anyways.

This topic is the same that got people upset at me 2 days ago

Even if I feel my replies in this topic a not intruding upon another topic and aren't inappropriate,obviously some people can't make the difference.Since I don't feel like beeing the source of chats suggesting to ban me,I have to delete my comments again

Anyways.

Even if I feel my replies in this topic a not intruding upon another topic and aren't inappropriate,obviously some people can't make the difference.Since I don't feel like beeing the source of chats suggesting to ban me,I have to delete my comments again

I don't want you banned.

Well, I tend to agree with KM a lot, especially about musical tastes, so I don't mind a little well-intentioned stubbornness every now and then. No points lost here!

Stop writing my posts before I do! It's creeping me out.

KM's still on my friends list. 'Nuff said.

Anyways.

I don't want you banned.

Nor I, for what that's worth.