April Fools 2008 - JWMGFan!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ricard, Andreas, and everyone involved for taking the courageous step in expanding the website to the film world's next great composer. This was a perfectly logical move as every Williams fan should also be or soon become a Giacchino fan. I applaud this move and know that it will benefit this website and the film music community for years to come. Bravo!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately a good addition. Besides, Williams is getting pretty old, and we have to have someone new to idolize when he passes away.

The only acronym worse than Indy 4!

And this has nothing to do with April 1, this is a welcome and permanent change. JWMGFan has always been serious about film music and has never stooped to something as low as April Fool's Day gags.

JWMGFan has always been serious about film music and has never stooped to something as low as April Fool's Day gags.

Yes,I agree,we should be as humorless as FSM

Last year's April Fool's prank was more convincing, but this one was still great. Putting Zimmer up instead of Giacchino would probably have been going too far. Way too far.

Last year's April Fool's prank was more convincing.

What was it?

All discussion of Star Wars and anything relating to it was banned (or something similar to that). It was fairly convincing at the time.

Yes,I agree,we should be as humorless as FSM

Everytime I type their address into my browswer, my window frosts over more and more with every letter that gets closer to the .com

This is genious. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Welcome, Mr. Giacchino, to attaining credibility by being cemented in the future JWFan. I'm sure he needed our help all along.

Tim

This is genious. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Welcome, Mr. Giacchino, to attaining credibility by being cemented in the future JWFan. I'm sure he needed our help all along.

Tim

Um... it's spelled g-e-n-i-u-s....

I don't like referring to Giacchino as "the new John Williams". I prefer to refer to JW as "the old John Williams".

Neil

How about "an early Giacchino"?

Michael Giacchino is pretty good. I can't believe my eye when I saw this change.

And who idea was it to have Micheal Giacchino to be part of John Williams network and what with the effing image?

I gotta be honest, for the first few minutes or so after seeing the change, I was kinda shocked. Then it dawned on me that this MUST be a joke. And a good one at that!

:)

This was obviously an April Fools joke. Today it's gone. Back to being a John Williams fan site again. Which is fine. Giacchino will undoubtedly get his own website soon and you can bet I'll be visiting that forum regularly.

Good joke yesterday though. Some time went into doing it!

A lot of people were certainly upset about the change.

I am honestly astounded anyone fell for that.

Did IQs just drop sharply when I was away?

Congrads for the time and effort, that banner must have taken some doing.

There's people falling for April Fools jokes every year.

Oh well.

- Marc, who remembered to note the date a few years back when he fell for the return of Weebo...

Yeah, it was fun to see people fall for the joke. It was fairly elaborate though so I'm not surprised some people took the bait.

We've already discussed Giacchino's merits before so I won't reiterate them. This a John Williams site and I'm certain it will always remain strictly a JW site.

Yeah, it was fun to see people fall for the joke. It was fairly elaborate though so I'm not surprised some people took the bait.

Actually yes, I should say I'm not really astounded, rather surprised. But yeah these things do trick people and not everyone remembers the date or logs on to sites that day suspicious of anything and everything.

But it was a good April's Fool joke, not as obvious or far fetched like many others.

And it was good because the joke itself didn't insult anyone, it was just, "yeah we like Michael too" which is kind of sweet!

Well done guys!

Marc, who remembered to note the date a few years back when he fell for the return of Weebo...

Was I away?

-W

Thanks to all who played along with me here. Like I said in Mark's April Fools thread, if I hadn't been stuck at work all day I would've gotten it up a lot sooner.

And though it was an April Fools joke, I really do like the message it sent, intentional or not. Giacchino is, I don't think anyone can deny this now, the hottest and most talented young composer we've seen in a good long while. When that horrible day comes when John Williams is no longer with us, I can take some comfort now that there is someone who's able to pick up the torch and continue to provide us with the great film music that we love so much. He will not be the new John Williams, he will be Michael Giacchino. And that's all he needs to be.

Great post John. I agree too. I know some people really don't care for Giacchino and that's fine- this is a John Williams forum after all so it does follow in some cases.

I guess I'm still a little stumped over why he gets such vehement antipathy by some. I could see someone who uses synths, is inept at scoring for orchestra and has no melodic or motivic sense of development. Then I could understand the animosity. However, Giacchino is upholding the tradition of film scoring that guys like Williams have perpetuated.

I had an animosity towards him, based on the fact that people were seriously declaring him the next John Williams (with no reservations) based on one film score, a television show, and video game scores. It was rather irritiating to see someone put on the mantle with the composer I most admire based mostly on Medal of Honor. It felt like people went a few months without a new JW score, and found themselves a new idol.

I have few problems with most of the work of his I've heard, I love his stuff, and am eagerly anticipating anything he might do. But he is not the be all and end all of film music, and no matter how tempered it may be, the sheer amount of Giacchino love got very tired very fast back in the day. With one respectable thread, and other mentions, I think his current place in this John Williams forum is quite respectable.

There are quite a few humor challanged people on these message boards.

Of course my favorite was the year Ricard and Neil made the message board a pay to view site with membership fees. Some members were quite hot under the collar.

Of course no one payed anything but all the message boards were locked.

But going back to Giacchino, I fell in love with his music the first time I heard Medal Of Honor. It's everything that is missing from today's film music.

And the person that really started this whole mess was Steven Spielberg because he was the first to say "Michael Giacchino is the next John Williams".

Of course my favorite was the year Ricard and Neil made the message board a pay to view site with membership fees. Some members were quite hot under the collar.

That was brilliant. I'll never forget that morning when I saw the brown and olive-green JWFan.

Giving credit where it's due, I think that was all Ricard, but man was it funny. I remember playing along in the free forum making sure film music wasn't being discussed. :P

Neil

Yes, that was brilliant. I also liked the year that the main page linked to the homepage of John Williams the guitarist.

And of course Neil setting the board that any time A New Hope was typed it would come out as Star Wars was just mean. :P

And of course Neil setting the board that any time A New Hope was typed it would come out as Star Wars was just mean. :P

Star Wars Day was awesome!

Neil

This year's was very cleverly done and part of me was willing to accept the change as permanent. That's not to say my admiration for Giacchino is anywhere close to that of Williams but my film music interest has regressed to the point that these two composers are the only ones that I find myself consistently wanting to pay attention to.

- Adam

This year's was very cleverly done and part of me was willing to accept the change as permanent. That's not to say my admiration for Giacchino is anywhere close to that of Williams but my film music interest has regressed to the point that these two composers are the only ones that I find myself consistently wanting to pay attention to.

- Adam

Hi, Adam, haven't seen you for awhile. Always enjoyed your thoughtful posts.

- Alan

- Adam

Hi, Adam, haven't seen you for awhile. Always enjoyed your thoughtful posts.

- Alan

That's nice of you to say, Alan. I could say the same for you. I should have been posting here more but lost my password on my old username with an email that I don't have or something. Anyway, my only postings have been very sporadic at FSM, usually butting heads with some of the more gigantic egos over there in spectacular displays of futility. Anyway, now that I have my password issues and so forth figured out (a new username - aren't I a genius!), I should be around here a little more.

- Adam