iTunes sucks a$$

David Coscina

Apparently they do not care about those outside the States for exciting pieces such as this. Oh well. I will have to seek it out through other channels. Pity because I was willing to spend the $2 to buy it.....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm going to get attacked for saying this but.....

....is this really the fault of iTunes? Could it possibly have something to do with the deal made with the record company? I'm not privy to any extra info on this, but to point and say "iTunes sucks" may not be the right way to go

BTW, the track can be found here at iTunes.

Neil

Well I have it now only because some kind soul from the Film Score Monthly board sent it to me. Like I said before, it is a pity that I had to go this route to obtain this piece of music since I was more than happy to PAY for it.

And yes, I did not mean iTunes sucks because I use it quite a lot and the Canadian store DID just upload almost everything in Varese's catalog (picked up Constantine the other day in fact along with Goldsmith's Total Recall Ultimate Edition).

But I was tired last night and had waited for the clock to strike midnight in order to get Roar only to find out it was not available. I'm sure I was not the only one that was slightly frustrated at the realization that it was limited to the US Store.

I do think Apple ought to have a single store that can be accessed by the entire world rather than separate servers. Perhaps it does solely have to do with legalities which keeps things the way they are now but I do believe Apple is losing out on much more business because of the current arrangement.

p.s. Roar is awesome and the extra few minutes are quite nicely done.

That's the thing - giving people an opportunity to pay for something. It's one of the tank-sized holes in the music industry's arguments - they keep saying online music is a huge business, but when you put 3% of your catalogue on it, and only let customers living within 2 postcodes buy it.

I'll happily pay my 79p for an mp3 of Roar. Just tell me where...

....is this really the fault of iTunes? Could it possibly have something to do with the deal made with the record company? I'm not privy to any extra info on this, but to point and say "iTunes sucks" may not be the right way to go

The US-only availability may be the fault of modern marketing. Perhaps they do want to sell it to Europeans but can't. However, they obviously do NOT want to sell it to me:

We are unable to find iTunes on your computer.

[...]

If iTunes doesn't open, click the iTunes application icon in your Dock or Windows Task Bar.

I have neither a "Dock" nor a "Windows Task Bar", how surprising... There's a reason why HTML is standardised and iTunes is not (but then, that website isn't even correct HTML).

I'd gladly spend the money. But apparently, they don't want it. Imagine Amazon replacing their entire website by an application which you have to install on your local system.

iTunes Plus is a load of bull. And I've read that it's 256k, not 320.

128k is basically the lowest bitrate possible before the loss of quality is properly noticeable. In this day and age, no one has an excuse to distribute music like this.

Haven't found Roar anywhere 'questionable' yet.

I agree that 265k is fine. I noticed last week that I'd somehow replaced my copy of Lady in the Water with a 160k version, despite owning the CD.

But I believe that once you get down to 128, it starts sounding flatter, and 96k sounds plain crap in busier parts.

The difference between 128 and 320 is crystal clear, barring you're using lame ear buds.

The difference between 256 and 320 is practically non-existent on most people's sound systems, though those with better systems can notice the difference in the depth with orchestral music.