18 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

It seems that apart from discussion on Indiana Jones IV, there isn't much interesting going on here anymore. So that's why I came up with an idea. Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

We start out with Zathura by John Debney. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 1/2 stars

It was one of the very rare non Williams scores in the past few years I heard in the film and I thought "hey I got to get this one"

Thanks. I hope my idea takes off. Could make for some interesting discussions of lesser-known scores if it does.

I am not very familiar with Zathura myself either, though I think it is a nice enough score. The main theme is pretty good, though the ending of the theme sounds rather similar to the ending of the Star Wars main title. There's some nice tracks throughout the score, most notably "Shooting Star Card". And of course it's always nice to hear John Debney in adventure mode. :lol:

3 1/2 stars sounds about right to me as well. So I'll vote for 4 stars, giving an average of 2 x 3,5 stars. :mrgreen:

Wasn't this a sequel to Jumanji, somewhat?
It's also based on a Chris Van Allsburg book, same as Jumanji. There's no recurring characters though and stands on its own as a film.

This idea should create some very interesting reads in the near future.

Unfortunately, Zathura is one of those score I just don't have any strong feelings towards, neither positive nor negative. I find it a little noisy in parts, a few nice cues, but nothing that really stands out. A definite *** star score.

Nice idea Pieter.

I'm not familiar with this score. I saw the movie once and thought the main theme was nice enough.

I like your idea. I've never heard the score, though.

(slightly better than blank quoting)

Debney's Zathura score wants so badly to be Hook, or his own Cutthroat Island.

Sorry to say, it's not close to being either. A standard Debney effort at best.

The day Debney tops Cutthroat Island is the day this happens... :blink:

Thanks again to all people who like my idea. :P

If you like John Debney in adventure/science-fiction mode, I think it's worthwhile to give Zathura a try. It's nothing brilliant, but it's nice enough. I'm surprised by how few people ever heard it; I don't think it deserves that many people not even knowing about it. At least give the main title a try. ^_^

The day Debney tops Cutthroat Island is the day this happens... :lol:
Seconded. Though I've recently been trying to get myself some more Debney and although there is nothing that actually tops Cutthroat Island, there's some really good stuff there that possibly many people are unaware of. White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf and Hocus Pocus are really good, but Lair is probably the closest in quality to Cutthroat Island. Still, Cutthroat Island remains the best by far.