Interview with Bouzereau

Maestro

I'll be doing an interview with the infamous Laurent Bouzereau - compiler/producer of the new Indy box set - very soon, and I wanted to get a wide array of informed questions. Who else would I turn to but my friends here on JWfan?

I know several of you are angry with the man - a friend has expressed that he would personally like to strangle him, if for the segues on the set alone. Please keep in mind that this is not an attack or an interrogation, but a friendly interview.

Heck, we may find out that he had very little control over what went on the set or in what state.

However, it is still a means to getting answers for some of the questions we have - why certain decisions were made, why certain tracks were included and some were not, what condition were the masters in, etc.

Any burning questions you would like to be asked, post them in this thread for consideration.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news. I have a couple:

Who were the main project leaders on this set?

What were the constraints in producing this project?

Are there any tracks you tried to get on the set, that you couldn't for one reason or another? What are they and why?

Is this interview an independent undertaking, or is this for a publication?

A world class publication. A publication that makes all other film score magazines look like Rachel Ray.

What material did he have access to? Original multi-track? Mix downs? What was the condition of the material?

Is there anything he regrets having to leave off of the set?

Neil

How involved was Williams in the production of the set?

Where did the idea to release expanded Indy scores originate, and why was it decided to be done now?

Were there any budgetary constraints?

1. Why was the revised "Indy Rides The Statue" cue included instead of the original version?

2. Did John Williams compose the rope bridge percussion music?

3. Why was the music for the escape from the circus train mixed into the existing "Indy's Very First Adventure" track, while every other new cue was presented as their own tracks?

Not just Desert Chase; the album edits of "Fast Streets of Shanghai", "TOD End Credits", "Escape From Venice", and "X Marks The Spot" made it to the final product as well

Why was "Marcus is captured" combined with "To Berlin"? There are a number of other short cues left separate (e.g. Journey to Austria) after all, and the two cues are by no means related.

Why was "Father and Son reunited" preferred over the arguably more significant cues (in terms of theme development) that follow?

A better way to word one of my earlier questions: Why was the film version of Indy Rides The Statue used, but the original versions of Out Of Fuel and Death Of Kazim used?

A lot of these questions would come off as accusations. We want to find out what happened with this set, but being courteous to Bouzereau is very important.

A lot of these questions would come off as accusations. We want to find out what happened with this set, but being courteous to Bouzereau is very important.

What are you such an inept fool, Mr. Bouzereau?

This is perhaps a personal question, but for your death do you prefer strangulation or cyanide?

Right. I'd stick with these types of questions:

1) Were there any cues you had to leave off that you wanted to add? Why or why not?

2) How was this project born? (I.e. straight re-issues or were they always intended to be expanded?

3) Was an expanded KOTC ever considered?

4) Why did you choose to go back to original versions of tracks like Desert Chase instead of using the expanded versions?

5) How involved was John Williams in this?

and a sixth supplementary question if it's not already answered in the questions above:

6) What were the constraints (budgetary, time, etc.) involved in making the Indy release?

What material did he have access to? Original multi-track? Mix downs? What was the condition of the material?

Is there anything he regrets having to leave off of the set?

Neil

I would ask something similar to that.

(ie Asking indirectly if the master tapes are available and in good condition)

Bouzereau mentions in the booklet that the original 24-track masters were used in some cases. Pretty vague.

Most important question: Are *COMPLETE* releases on the table, or will they be on the table down the track, if fan interest is significant enough?

Yes, definitely ask this. But you have to be careful not to imply that the current box set is inadequate (though we know it is) and something that needs to be fixed.

Yeah, probably try to be careful with how you phrase that question. After all, this box set is a magnificent achievement, but let's not criticise the guy if he's being generous enough to take his time and chat to us. I just can't wait to get some insight into the making of the box, it can answer many of our questions. I'd think something along the lines of this would work:

"This box set is an amazing achievement, and fans have been waiting to hear these unreleased cues for decades. With so much material composed for the movies, do you think there is any chance of even more unreleased music being released down the track?"

Pretty much all the remaining unreleased music could fit on one CD... 15 mins of TOD, 15 mins of Crusade, 30 mins of Kingdom, and the rest for Raiders.

Yeah, probably try to be careful with how you phrase that question. After all, this box set is a magnificent achievement, but let's not criticise the guy if he's being generous enough to take his time and chat to us. I just can't wait to get some insight into the making of the box, it can answer many of our questions. I'd think something along the lines of this would work:

"This box set is an amazing achievement, and fans have been waiting to hear these unreleased cues for decades. With so much material composed for the movies, do you think there is any chance of even more unreleased music being released down the track?"

This is the right attitude, I agree. Let's not forget Laurent is a JW fan too ROTFLMAO

I really, really hope not.

ROTFLMAO

I'm not sure how the "will we ever get more music" question can be phrased without it sounding like we're a tad ungrateful for what he did give us. I think the "were complete 2-cd releases ever considered" might fill that gap nicely, and it's a nice open question, plenty of opportunities for him to waffle and sill more beans :eek2:

I think that Maestro will be able to make questions the right way: we are giving inputs about specific matters about this set but I don't think he is asking us to write exact words of each question.

This thread has now all the topics that need to be talked about with Beauzoureaut (is this right writing? ROTFLMAO ), ops: we need a question about wrong pitch in some tracks in discs 1 and 2.

I have some questions too!

Why do you have such an unpronounceable name? :lol: Just kidding.

You could ask him, Does he know anything about an expanded/complete edition of Harry Potter?

Why did he leave out "Package from Dad"? That was only a minute and a half! :)

What is John Williams working on right now? Or is he out playing golf? :)

My questions are similar to everyone else's above:

How did Laurent Bouzereau become involved with the release?

Was the original plan to release just the OSTs (like the rumor had it around last spring) or did they plan these discs to be expanded from the word go?

Were there always 5 discs or did they add the extra music disc later?

What was the logic behind compiling the single discs? A rounded listening experience? Personal preference?

And how much Mr. Williams was involved with these releases?

What were the limitations for this release? Was the number of discs limited from the start? And why was a considerable chunk of the extra music disc left empty?

Which of the 3 older Indy scores is his favourite?

Who composed The Rope Bridge percussions?

Why is Map/Out of Fuel an alternate instead of the iconic music we all know?

Why is there 26 seconds missing from the End Credits, a segment every single Indy fan has wanted since 1984

Why isn't fortune and Glory there?

I think the specifics need to be asked instead of some vague general questions about wrong takes ,even if the interview is longer to type after.

What was the logic behind compiling the single discs? A rounded listening experience? Personal preference?

Undoubtedly. I can't read the following sentence without wanting to bash his head with an inflatable mallet: ... other cues were dropped simply because they didn't fit the musical journey envisioned for these CDs

I can understand that the first 3 discs were pretty full, but what sort of 'musical journey' is disc 5 if it's totally separate from the rest of the scores? I hope that actually translates as "we didn't want to pay for another 15 mins of reuse fees".

I think the specifics need to be asked instead of some vague general questions about wrong takes ,even if the interview is longer to type after.

Yeah, but it's not going to take much to be pretty clear we're just complaining about the set. Maybe if it was worded "you made some unusual decisions on this set... do tell us..." :shakehead:

Who composed The Rope Bridge percussions?

Why is Map/Out of Fuel an alternate instead of the iconic music we all know?

Why is there 26 seconds missing from the End Credits, a segment every single Indy fan has wanted since 1984

Why isn't fortune and Glory there?

He probably wouldn't know what "Fortune And Glory" is. It's technically "3m2 The Child Returns"

Yeah, but it's not going to take much to be pretty clear we're just complaining about the set. Maybe if it was worded "you made some unusual decisions on this set... do tell us..." :shakehead:

i don;t think the interview should be mean spirited ,but not of the usual sugar coated variety.

I am VERY curious why the Film Version End Credits aren't there.Any self respecting Indy fan including Bouzereau knows it should be

"Deliberate creative decisions."

It could be worded:

"The issues about the selection of cues that comes up the most often in fan message boards is why the the film version of the ToD End Credits wasn't t included. The opening contains a fantastic interpolaton of the Indy/Short Round theme that has been wanted by fans since the movie came out. Instead,the old album version was included that repeats music found on disk 5 Return to the Village."

I don't think it should be interpreted as whining fanboy complaints .After all we are actually the main target audience of this set.