Scrubs Season 8

Henry B

Anybody else following this show? I thought tonight's two episodes were an enormous improvement over the last two seasons. The show seems to have found its roots, finally. The only thing that disappointed me is that the full cast isn't being featured in every episode in order to cut costs. On the other hand, that means the featured cast has more weight to carry. The second episode, which I believe only featured Braff and Faison, was great.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was good, not as good as what I thought it would be. I loved Seasons 5-7 though, so we've got different opinions about the show. I'm sure the remaining 17 episodes will be just as awesome. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to go back to the original form of the earlier seasons, so that explains why you liked it.

Is it me, or does the show have a much darker look? Warmer colors and less brightness in the hospital.

This can be in general discussion, doesnt have to be in other topics

I LOVE SCRUBS, and pretty much love all the seasons.... my favorite is either 3 or 4, I cannot decide.

5 certainly took a step in a weird direction, which apparently was because they filmed so many episodes before NBC finally started airing them that they felt like nobody was watching and got a little wacky. 6 was probably the least memorable season for me, I cannot even recall right now anything that happened other than the cofee place opening. I remember thinking 7 was a big improvement over 6, but it also felt like it was over before it started!

I haven't seen the season 8 eps yet as I was out tonight, but can't wait to see them.

How were the new characters?

I remember thinking 7 was a big improvement over 6, but it also felt like it was over before it started!

That's because the writer's strike cut the season short. On top of that NBC screwed them over. So they ended up with 11 episodes, and the supposed "series finale" was an episode that was originally supposed to air earlier in the season.

How were the new characters?

I didn't really like Courtney Cox, and besides her there are just a few new interns.

It was good, not as good as what I thought it would be. I loved Seasons 5-7 though, so we've got different opinions about the show. I'm sure the remaining 17 episodes will be just as awesome. I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to go back to the original form of the earlier seasons, so that explains why you liked it.

Is it me, or does the show have a much darker look? Warmer colors and less brightness in the hospital.

I think it does, yes - again, harkening back to the earlier seasons. I like the directors of these new episodes (whoever they are).

5 certainly took a step in a weird direction, which apparently was because they filmed so many episodes before NBC finally started airing them that they felt like nobody was watching and got a little wacky. 6 was probably the least memorable season for me, I cannot even recall right now anything that happened other than the cofee place opening. I remember thinking 7 was a big improvement over 6, but it also felt like it was over before it started!

I felt like seasons 6 and 7 were really insubstantial, despite several major events. The show got so light and goofy it became self parody. It just seems like everything got marginalized dramatically: instead of trying to save patients from death the doctors were trying to get patients to their high school graduations or find their tick bites... J.D. and Elliot made so many dumb choices and seemed so oblivious to them that they'd become downright unlikable by the end of the last season. I'm glad their characters are getting turned around.

Usually when two people are united is when a show goes down hill. Sometimes it's best to keep the sexual tension in the air and not unite them.

Every season was supposed to be the last. :lol: That's why they killed off Laverne two years ago. Actually, Season 7 really would have been the last had it not been for the writers' strike, which cut the season off at the midpoint. The show then moved from NBC to ABC for a final season.

Well from what I understand it was going to be the last one if they couldn't find another network to pickup season 8. I think the switch to ABC was something they were trying to do before season 7.

I may be mistaken but aren't there still some episodes from season 7 that didn't air yet? Or did they not shoot them because of the strike?

Nope, all the episodes aired. They only shot eleven. I'm sure some scripts and script material are being reused for this season, though (supposedly the series finale was finished years ago). And yes, they had good reason to move to ABC. NBC never treated the show well.

I wish the writers would make up their mind on if JD and Elliot should end up together or not

I'm pretty sure it's been made up. They most likely will end up together, they were heading in that direction in the Season 7 finale. And I consider Episode 10 to be the actual finale, not that random episode that aired after it.

Yeah, they aired the episodes out of order to go out with a bang. That Princess Bride episode chronologically precedes the one where Kelso quits.

Jsut saw the episodes. Good, dependable, entertaining. What Scrubs always is. However, it was nice coming back to it after a long break, as I only caught up with the show around the 7th season, watching it all at once, so these were particularly welcome. I'm sure what I think about the end credits stuff. These two weren't that distruptive, but I hope they don't continue.

Episode 1 had an extra bit where they basically commented on the show being fictional. Episode 2 had an improvised outtake with Braff and Faison.

They used to just show various stills from the episode with the credits over them.

They used to just show various stills from the episode with the credits over them.

They never showed those on air though, did they? I'm sure it'll be the same on the DVD, with these outtakes compiled into a special feature.

They never showed those on air though, did they? I'm sure it'll be the same on the DVD, with these outtakes compiled into a special feature.

Don't know. We don't get NBC out here...

Finally had a chance to watch the first 2 episodes. I love that they are shooting them in HD now! For 7 years Scrubs was just about the only show on network TV that wasn't filmed in HD (other than shows that started before then, although even most of those switched to HD for their final seasons).

I love that they have deleted scenes now under the end credits instead of just stills. I loved the 2 "breaking the fourth wall" jabs in the first episode - JD pointing at the ABC logo in the opening shot and going "This is new!", and the deleted scene at the end where they were basically talking about trying to freshen things up in their 8th year.

Carla was also in the second episode, so that means that Cox, Kelso, Janitor, and Elliot only have 1 more episode each they won't be in, while JD, Turk, and Carla have 2 episodes each left without them.

The 2 episodes without JD will be further "His/Her/Their Story/ies" episodes. Who hasn't narrated an episode yet?

The 2 episodes without JD will be further "His/Her/Their Story/ies" episodes. Who hasn't narrated an episode yet?

Everyone has. There were 2 Her Story episodes, one for Elliot and one for Carla. And there were 4 His Story episodes, one for Kelso, Cox, Janitor, and Turk. Then there was the 1 Their Story for all the side characters.

Yes I know all the main characters had, but the show has a billion side characters. Mickhead, Beardface, snoop dogg attending, squeeky voiced resident, dudermeister, the ups delivery guy, the new laverne, or any of the people that talked in their story could narrate an entire episode

Actually now that I think about it they will most likely have the 3 new main interns (Ed and the two blondes) narrate an episode. They will supposedly be the main characters of season 9 if ABC renews it

The show is centric on J.D. Every episode is titled "My _____" Without him, there is no show. Bill Lawrence, Zach Braff, and Judy Reyes are leaving. ABC can't afford to keep the entire cast in each episode nor to keep them for another season. Sarah Chalke even said it was the last one, despite all the rumors saying it could be back.

Oh I agree that this should be the last one, but ABC owns the show and an choose to do whatever they want with it regardless of Bill Lawrence's wishes. Sucks but its true.

Finally had a chance to watch the first 2 episodes. I love that they are shooting them in HD now! For 7 years Scrubs was just about the only show on network TV that wasn't filmed in HD (other than shows that started before then, although even most of those switched to HD for their final seasons).

I love that they have deleted scenes now under the end credits instead of just stills. I loved the 2 "breaking the fourth wall" jabs in the first episode - JD pointing at the ABC logo in the opening shot and going "This is new!", and the deleted scene at the end where they were basically talking about trying to freshen things up in their 8th year.

Carla was also in the second episode, so that means that Cox, Kelso, Janitor, and Elliot only have 1 more episode each they won't be in, while JD, Turk, and Carla have 2 episodes each left without them.

Hmm, each main cast member is taking two episodes off? I hadn't heard a specific figure.

Yea I forget where I read it, but each of the "Main 7" will only be in 16 of the final 18 episode in order to save money

It's a great show, one of the best comedies on TV now that Arrested Development is off the air (right up there with The Office and 30 Rock)

Scrubs is one of my favorite shows. It started to wan in quality during recent seasons, but I think it's bouncing back. I truly love it.

The Office (US) is a great one too. The first three seasons are absolutely flawless. Not a weak episode or character among them. The fourth and fifth have shown signs of aging, but they're still pretty good.

Arrested Development is the greatest american television program ever produced. 53 episodes - and not a single moment that is spent not laughing. This show is absolutely perfect in every way. Am I over-selling it?

30 Rock. Great first season - funny and clever and well-made. Second and Third? Forget it. Absolute trash. I don;t care what the emmy-voters say. The new episodes seem unfunny, lazy and sloppily put together. I hope 30 Rock can somehow recover. How does it still win awards? I think critics are still feeling guilty about Arrested Development...

Edit (2/2/22): Revisiting this opinion 13 years later, I must admit I was way too hard on 30 Rock, which I now must admit was breathtaking for nearly its entire run. My apologies for such a bad take. I was young and foolish.

I noticed no dip in quality between the 30 Rock seasons

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is another one of my favorite comedies currently produced.

Yeah, for me Scrubs is definitely in my Top 5 comedies.

The List ....

Monk

The Office

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Scrubs

Aqua Teen Hunger Force

It was nice to see Scrubs return to its old format, and I really didn't mind the fact that all the cast wasn't in the second episode. I just hope they turn the lights up, because the new season has been shot far too dark.

It was nice to see Scrubs return to its old format, and I really didn't mind the fact that all the cast wasn't in the second episode. I just hope they turn the lights up, because the new season has been shot far too dark.

Yes I mentioned that earlier. Darker atmosphere, warmer colors, etc. I prefer the original look of the show.

I have too many favorite shows to make a good list, but for comedies it would probably be:

Scrubs

Family Guy

Home Movies

South Park

Curb Your Enthsiasm

Yes I mentioned that earlier. Darker atmosphere, warmer colors, etc. I prefer the original look of the show.

No, it's returned to the original look of the show (Season 1 especially). The lighting was so bright and colorful in the last two seasons. Remember that Season 4 episode that's shot in multi-camera sitcom style as an affectionate parody? Well, the show actually got pretty close to looking like that in the past two seasons. It's much better now. Besides, most of the second episode took place at night in a sparsely populated ICU, so you can hardly fault the dark lighting there.

I'm just glad that the writing is strong and Zach Braff is acting again. He came off as such a child in the last couple seasons, dodging responsibility, mugging for the camera and talking like a baby (seriously, was Braff really hammered on the job or something?). I think that Season 6 episode where he gets a DUI summed it up: he was nothing but a joke, nearly devoid of dramatic interest. He's still doing that a bit, but the new episodes have restored dignity to his character.

The Office gets old very fast.

Not for me, it doesn't.

I didn't get 30 Rock. Saw the first few episodes...didn't find it particularly interesting. And Tracy Morgan is an opressive figure.

No, it's returned to the original look of the show (Season 1 especially). The lighting was so bright and colorful in the last two seasons. Remember that Season 4 episode that's shot in multi-camera sitcom style as an affectionate parody? Well, the show actually got pretty close to looking like that in the past two seasons. It's much better now. Besides, most of the second episode took place at night in a sparsely populated ICU, so you can hardly fault the dark lighting there.

I'm just glad that the writing is strong and Zach Braff is acting again. He came off as such a child in the last couple seasons, dodging responsibility, mugging for the camera and talking like a baby (seriously, was Braff really hammered on the job or something?). I think that Season 6 episode where he gets a DUI summed it up: he was nothing but a joke, nearly devoid of dramatic interest. He's still doing that a bit, but the new episodes have restored dignity to his character.

It's way darker than any of the other seasons; and "My Life In Four Cameras" was way brighter than the last two seasons. The show has kept a pretty consistent style throughout all 7 seasons. I don't see this drastic change you talk about. Braff has always acted that way.

Just watch an episode from Season 1 and an episode from Season 7 back to back.

I'll admit I haven't tried that out, but let's not forget that the better part of 702 took place at night...