• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

At request, today's score is Back to the Future II by Alan Silvestri. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

e50c793509a09314a3582110.L.jpg

So far JWFan has rated:

See Soundtrack Ratings by JWFan.com.

This web page contains the ratings from all my previous polls as well as those of Blumenkohl's.

Final ratings are converted to a 1-10 rating for both rating systems so that they can be compared.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3.5 stars

Good stuff. I like Biff's theme and there's some very nice material in this score.

I can't really say much about the score's originality. It strikes me as one that doesn't stray very far from the original, but without being able to properly listen to the first Back to the Future in full, it's sort of hard to figure out.

Haven't played it in a long time. From what I recall, it's pretty much the same as the first score, just with a less excited orchestra and extremely dry acoustics. No rating though.

I'll give it a generous 3. Basically a re-hash of the first score and not a good performance either. To thin sounding.

I believe Silvestri once mentioned in an interview that he was even somewhat disappointed with the second score. I think he mentioned that Zemeckis kinda left him alone on the second score, probably because he was busy shooting two films back to back, and the input wasn't there.

I believe Silvestri once mentioned in an interview that he was even somewhat disappointed with the second score. I think he mentioned that Zemeckis kinda left him alone on the second score, probably because he was busy shooting two films back to back, and the input wasn't there.

Yeah even Zemeckis said that he thought that Part II suffered because he wasn't able to give it his full attention.

Strangely though, I think the new version of the main theme for Part II has a lot more 'kick' than Part I. :)

I gave it a 2.5 I like it better than three but I guess thats because this is darker.

I don't own the OS to BTTF 2, and I haven't seen the movie in a while.

But isn't the score pretty much just a rehash of the first movie? More so than in the case of JW's HA2?

I don't own the OS to BTTF 2, and I haven't seen the movie in a while.

But isn't the score pretty much just a rehash of the first movie? More so than in the case of JW's HA2?

Some of the themes are slightly different, but it's mainly the same. Although it does have a different sound to it - less instruments?

Thanks, Pieter. Like III, I'll give this a 3.5. Yes, much of it is rehash, but it's rehash that's given just enough of a new spin that to my ears it's still fun to listen too. I love the new extensions on the main theme in the opening titles, and the final "I've come back from the future" cue is possibly my favorite in the whole saga.

The final "I've come back from the future" cue is possibly my favorite in the whole saga.

Pity it wasn't on the OST, as it's one of mine too. :rolleyes:

Although a similar cue is included as part of the "Main Title" on the OST for Part III.

3 stars, good but kinda repetitive. BTW looking at the cover, I didn't know Varese had released it, the one I have is from MCA records. Is the content the same??

3 stars, good but kinda repetitive. BTW looking at the cover, I didn't know Varese had released it, the one I have is from MCA records. Is the content the same??

Yeah I was thinking the same. The only Varese one I have is Part III.

Varese never released BTTF II. MCA did. Varese only released BTTF III and the Re-recording of I that contains some cues from the 2 sequels.

There is a bogus cover floating around out there that has the Varese logo but it's a fake.

4. Highlights for me are the "Main Title", unreleased cue for the DeLorean temporal displacement to alternate 1985, "If They Ever Did" (absolutely magical moment when the DeLorean goes back to 1955 and lands behind the billboard), "Pair O' Docs", "The Book" and unreleased finale. I love "The Book" from the point when Marty finds the almanac in Strickland's office and realizes it's Oh La La. Marty seeing George deck Biff and the tense last minute or so where he's running from Biff's guys and Doc takes off in the DeLorean!

Yea 4 stars again. Is the weakest of the 3 (and definitely has the smallest orchestra), but it has some good stuff. I quite enjoy the complete and chronological version I have (missing bits ripped from the DVD). Especially for including the bit of music John Crichton mentioned... shame that wasn't on the OST

And yes, the Varese cover Pieter used in the OP is a fake.

And yes, the Varese cover Pieter used in the OP is a fake.

You shee. You can tell by the crosh shectionsh.

It rates a 4 for me. It's a lot of fun and has the most interesting variation of the main title. It's not great, but it's very good.

Neil