Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Is The New Intrada Album

Jay

Our two-at-a-time release pattern returns on March 3. And in my humble opinion, that's gonna be an exciting day. One title ranks as the kind you'd have expected to get released based on the mega-wattage of both composer and movie - but it didn't. That is, until now. So it'll be a blast from the past, circa those fabulous 1980's. Needless to say, we're excited about it. And the other one - from the sixties - is pretty cool, too.

From

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.I/id.10/.f?category=-102

Unless "mega-wattage" refers to something else entirely.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But he didn't specifically say "in 1985". Also, I don't think having two score tracks on the soundtrack rules it out. The same could be said about GHOSTBUSTERS, the OST had score tracks, but it took a long, long time for the full score to appear.

I think it's a good bet based on the "mega-wattage" comment. Either that's a big clue, or he's just effing with us.

Neil,

Jason and I posted at the same time....but okay if you want to have it discussed here. Ya it's never had an official only score CD release. I hope too it's not limited...it would sort of suck if it is.

But he didn't specifically say "in 1985". Also, I don't think having two score tracks on the soundtrack rules it out. The same could be said about GHOSTBUSTERS, the OST had score tracks, but it took a long, long time for the full score to appear.

...but he specifically states that it didn't get a release. If it got a short CD or LP release, they mention it in the teaser.

"Mega-wattage" and "blast from the past", if it's not BTTF, and Neil probably knows more than we do, they certainly made it sound like it

I didn't know that (the teaser bit, I'm new to this), but I wouldn't even call it a release. Two tracks alongside a bunch of songs, half of which I can't even remember being in the movie.

They were all in the movie. Well, except for Silvestri's overture.

I didn't know that (the teaser bit, I'm new to this), but I wouldn't even call it a release. Two tracks alongside a bunch of songs, half of which I can't even remember being in the movie.

And Silvestri's "Main Theme." ;)

Let's hope this is BTTF, as this has long been one of the scores that got me interested in film music in the first place. If its not, then touche for the nice psych-out.

Oh, I'm not doubting they weren't, I just can't remember them. I suppose technically Silvestri has three pieces if you count the flourish at the end of 'Earth Angel'.

Intrada and Varese often have too good to be true releases that turn out to have been too good to be true. But I don't blame 'em. I'm sure they are mightily excited when they work on something for all those months, and most of those scores are someone's holy grails. Personally though, I'd be happier with a simple notice as to when the new CDs will be posted. The speculation can be rather mind-numbing.

That's the thing - they work hard on every release, knowing that it's the holy grail of someone, somewhere. Compared to the bigger labels, it's rather admirable what they do, and goes some way towards fixing the broken releasing system for film music.

Too many false hopes over the years to make me think that BTTF is finally getting released. Horner's version of Something Wicked This Way Comes would fit the description, if "megawattage" wasn't considered an unsubtle hint.

Okay, somebody post a reply with the note that Horner's score has been commercially released. Still, there's more than one score by a big name composer that hasn't been released yet. Are there any Goldsmith scores from the 80's that haven't been issued?

Just remember how underwhelmed most of us were when Intrada released WarGames?

Don't hold your breath for BTTF, but do keep an extra $20 in your pocket, just in case...

DOn't want to piss on anyone's bonfire or anything - but if it were I writing such a teaser and it WERE for BTTF, I wouldn't have mentioned the word Mega-Wattage, since mega-watts were never mentioned in BTTF. If the teaser had stated Giga-wattage, I'd be a little more optimistic....

Someone at the Intrada forum mentioned Honey, I Shrunk the Kid, for which a good case can be made:

• Composer: James Horner
  • Soundtrack album release: Nothing legitimate
  • Year of theatrical release: 1989
  • Domestic box office gross: $130,724,172 (#5 in 1989)
  • Studio: Buena Vista (a brand of Walt Disney, a studio with which Intrada has possibly made inroads, as evidenced by Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend)

It's gotta be BTTF. Hopefully as I suggested it's not limited edition. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a limited title.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=26712#26712

It's not BTTF god @()*@#( it

Dammit!

I want to take hold of whoever is stopping BTTF by the ears and shake their heads 30 or 40 times (Bryson reference there for any readers).

Gremlins received a release, although only 15 minutes of Goldsmith's score made it on to the album. Explorers also received a release.

One would think Honey I Shrunk the Kids would be nightmare to clear if all the stories are true. Some very blatant borrowing in that score.

Of course The Goonies or Airplane! would be nice.

There's some sort of promo around for Honey I Shrunk... that appears to contain the whole score (only 1 hour of music but has a lot of very short cues) with perfectly good sound quality.

But yes, I hear he got himself sued over that one. I've heard comparisons and he did nick a lot of stuff. I can easily see problems with getting rights/permission from those he stole from preventing a release of this score which is a shame, as there's some really good stuff in here (by whoever actually wrote it :lol:)

This whole guessing thing does get a bit tiresome, but I can see why they do it. It's been pointed out by someone else that if they announced some mega holy grail months in advance, and then something happened to prevent the release at the last minute, there would be a lot of very angry people wanting to know who or what the problem was and just bad PR all round.

It's a bit like the SM:3 situation in that there was tons of expectation and speculation, and then suddenly it all amounted to nothing when the 'no release' announcement came - I was seriously annoyed, and still really want to know the reason for it.

Well I don't know about sound quality but there is one out there.... :lol:

I can name 3 he borrowed from right off the bat:

Raymond Scott - Powerhouse

Nino Rota - Amarcord

Dave Grusin - The Goonies

If the stories are true, 2 of them resulted in lawsuits.

You're thinking about other scores like Willow... :lol:

It's been quite awhile since I listened to the score but I remember those being the most talked about, plus they really stood out the first time I saw the film.

I wonder if there is a desperate need for 'Honey I shrunk the Kids'. Those who like it most likely have obtained the unmentionable (in very good sound) since the 15 years it's in circulation now - and i have this strange hunch that everyone else will be rather delighted to use Horner as punching ball for all the plagiarism.

Let it be 'BTTF', then we're at least done with those never-ending speculations.

Well I don't know about sound quality but there is one out there.... :lol:

I can name 3 he borrowed from right off the bat:

Raymond Scott - Powerhouse

Nino Rota - Amarcord

Dave Grusin - The Goonies

If the stories are true, 2 of them resulted in lawsuits.

The thing is, I liked his variations and orchestrations so much that I didn't care--I loved his take on the Scott and Rota themes. It just sucks that proper credit wasn't given in the first place, otherwise we might not have this mess.

Oh, and the sound quality is pretty doggone good.

I wonder if there is a desperate need for 'Honey I shrunk the Kids'. Those who like it most likely have obtained the unmentionable (in very good sound) since the 15 years it's in circulation now - and i have this strange hunch that everyone else will be rather delighted to use Horner as punching ball for all the plagiarism.

Let it be 'BTTF', then we're at least done with those never-ending speculations.

It's not - there was a link earlier to the Intrada forum where Feigelson denied the speculation.

It's not - there was a link earlier to the Intrada forum where Feigelson denied the speculation.

Who's this Feigelson guy? Would he actually have access to know for sure?

I quite like Honey... too, but it's one of the most blatant examples of Horner plagiarism there is.

In case anyone is unfamiliar:

(Starting at 1:25)

Amarcord (Starting at 0:30)

Also, I never noticed until listening to it just now that Elfman's theme from Pure Luck is similar to part of Amarcord. I knew Peewee's Big Adventure was based on Rota, because I've heard Elfman talk about that before. I guess Pure Luck just isn't discussed very much. :lol: (It's never even been released on DVD.)

Wow, I never heard of "Pure Luck" before, and I know about more than 90% of Danny Elfman's work. And Danny Elfman often cites Nino Rota as an influence, citing him as his second-favorite composer, if I recall correctly.

Isn't there a pretty decent Goonies score out there? Or is the copy I have a promo?

I think most of the time people are referring to legitimate releases, as there are tons of scores with promos going around, but some here either refuse to obtain such things, or just want to own them properly.

Fignuggets!!!

Whoever is holding back this release is the devil. I mean, with a new DVD release of the films I guess it made too much sense to release the score. :pukeface:

Who's this Feigelson guy? Would he actually have access to know for sure?

Roger Feigelson works for Intrada, so yes he knows what's coming on the release schedule.

Hmmm, perhaps a longshot but maybe Spacecamp.