New Williams TV theme

tharpdevenport

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very good! Sounds a bit like E.T. To bad about that guy reading the freaking sponsors.

That's the type of sound I want Williams to return to for Tintin .

Crap I forgot Great Performances was tonight. Is the stupid voice over on all PBS stations??

I'm staying tuned for the End Credits...

*Yawn*

Wake me up when you can take "New" out of quotation marks.

*Pops in E.T. instead*

Williams is suffering from Goldsmithitis. Late age creativity void.

Why didn't anyone remind us of this today? What is this board coming to?

Hopefully not all PBS stations had the sponsor reading and someone here recorded a clean version

It is pretty amazing how quickly steady discussion dropped off once the Indy Box mania died down. Pieter's polls kept things going for a little while but its really been slow lately

It's possible things will never be like that here again

I can't see the release of Tin Tin, or a complete Hook, or a complete Prequel Trilogy box set or anything like that being as huge as that was

Tintin is VERY promising . To some of us these comic books were a big part of our childhood so it could be another classic in the making. Far more promising than another historical drama.

Tintin might mean more to Europeans and French Canadians than US people though.

Complete Harry Potters and SW Prequels would make me very thrilled, but Indy was "the big one"

Whoa! This sounds so classy and inventive. The voice leading is so fresh, yet classical. It really moves me. I need a clean copy. This is why Williams is still the best. He pulls these things out of thin air like it is nothing, and never runs out of ideas. This could easily be the theme to a new Williams classic score. Too bad he doesn't have the chance to expand on it, or maybe he did a long version, like he did with The Mission.

Tintin is VERY promising . To some of us these comic books were a big part of our childhood so it could be another classic in the making. Far more promising than another historical drama.

Tintin might mean more to Europeans and French Canadians than US people though.

Complete Harry Potters and SW Prequels would make me very thrilled, but Indy was "the big one"

Spielberg+Williams+TinTin= Total Awesomeness

I knew nothing about TinTin, but it appears to be a very good vehicle for their talents based on what I have looked at.

Sounds nice, but definitely imagine someone telling Williams that they wanted something akin to ET. At least its not as bad as Goldsmith, who used the same theme for both First Contact and Air Force One. If he was going to copy himself, couldn't he at least have looked further back in his catalog?

As good to have some more JW, but definitely would want to hear this without the voiceover, but don't know how likely that is.

Well,I hope a clean version plays in 15 minutes over the End Credits...I'll be recording .I have to sit through this boring play now.

Didn't Williams just write a new E.T. concert suite recently? Maybe he's in that composition style mode at the moment

Mark, thanks so much.

It is sort of funny that everybody seems to like his late 70's early 80's output the most, but when he shows he can still do that, people seem underwhelmed with it. This is by no means a ripoff of ET, it is just in a similar style, and also similar to Harry Potter 1. For all the discussion over whether Williams still has it, I just find it comical to see the initial skeptical reactions other than Mark's. You don't have to be a fawning superfan to get excited about this. Loosen up, people.

Hmm, I kinda like this! It does have an E.T. sort of feel, but doesn't sound overly derivative. I like the piano at the beginning and the flourish at 0:09.

But I'm not excited about it. I'm not just making a political statement.

It's music for a PBS special ffs. :)

[bBKing ]The thrill is gone

The thrill is gone away

The thrill is gone baby

The thrill is gone away[/bB King]

I didn't hear any closing credit music.

Anyways ,this is the type of theme that I would instantly recognize as JW ,even if I had not read about it in advance.

I am not sure what naysayers like Blumenkhol want...this IS the classic Williams sound with a catchy new theme ,or simply put, John Williams sounding like John Williams ,as it should be. IMO if you don't like it you aren't a JWfan.

Maybe Williams should have written something similar to that Requiem for a Dream music we hear in a billion trailers and the Coke commercials..that would have grabbed Blumenkhol's attention.

I don't want the old John Williams. The current one is crappy.

I want a NEW John Williams with the creative sensibilities of the old John Williams, not the same style in music.

John Williams' music in the 70's and 80's RULED because he took creative risks. He dared to try new sounds. E.T. for instance was a leap away from ESB in terms of style. They are very unique and independent scores.

His music didn't sound cookie-cutter, like it does now. This current one keeps iterating Nixon with a mixture of his other works. You can write computer programs that can take sheet music and derive music from it, you don't need John Williams for that. His creative energy at the moment is about as great as Hans Zimmer and Co. You can take this piece and stick it in E.T. and it would fit perfectly.

Bring on the future. I'm done with these old has-beens. The film music industry needs clean-up like the global economy. Danny Elfman sounds the same, Zimmer sounds the same, Williams sounds the same, JNH sounds the same, Horner sounds the same. No one is taking risks except the little guys like Giacchino or Desplat. But then how can we expect any other composer to write creative and original music that defies our expectation, when we so readily accept the auto-pilot droning of one the most preeminent composer of our time?

When I pop in Star Wars I'm transported to galaxy far far away. When I pop in Schindler's List I'm transported to a concentration camp. When I play this new diddy I'm transported to E.T. Seriously? Really now? I'm SUPPOSED to eat this up because the guy has a HISTORY of writing great music?

Sorry boys and girls, but just because the goose lays golden eggs doesn't mean its a well of gold on the inside.

Well,I hope a clean version plays in 15 minutes over the End Credits...I'll be recording .I have to sit through this boring play now.

Ian McKellen's King Lear is anything but boring.

Certainly a nice little new TV theme from the Maestro.

And Blumenkohl is certainly a guy we need on this MB. He gives the gritty perspective of a true cynic to this place. It would be awful if we all were so enthusiastic and open minded and idealistic about the music not to mention uncritical of the Maestro.

I am a fan of John Williams' music. Not John Williams. In fact his interviews irritate me. :)

Well this one attached with the video was like a collection of JWs stock answers from the last 20 years. But I guess artists tend to be like that when every damn reporter asks the same boring questions. Hence boring answers. You have to admit people are always interested in CEO3K and Star Wars and E.T. and Indiana Jones. Who has ever asked him about Hook, Accidental Tourist or Sleepers?

And Blumenkohl is certainly a guy we need on this MB. He gives the gritty perspective of a true cynic to this place. It would be awful if we all were so enthusiastic and open minded and idealistic about the music not to mention uncritical of the Maestro.

Not that he should leave, but as a matter of quantity there's more than enough sober criticism around here without Blumie's nutty ramblings to keep us honest (though they do entertain). Seeing that this is the John Williams fan forum, I do wonder what keeps him coming back. He basically makes the case that John Williams (and the other legendary composers) should completely change their respective styles or retire from the field. Even Elfman, who has updated his style the most of any composer I can think of is derided for his modern contributions - on the basis that he has not changed enough. This kind of point of view does nothing to keep us fans honest - it just sounds silly. Sounds more like someone who really has very little appreciation for Williams' music, or any composer's music other than the up and comers. Sounds like an argument based solely on generational issues. All are welcome, but don't pretend you have 0 emissions when all you do is slam the music that brought us here. Great composers do not choose their style, they just have it. And that is what we love them for.

This is great!

For me it has nothing to do with E.T.

There is the eight note repetive accompaniment in the beginning , yes but

this very inventive , pure Williams style piece we used to enjoy(I mean we , who still like him).

btw its in D Major , thats why it sounds so fresh , i think it was JW's favorite key...

Not that he should leave, but as a matter of quantity there's more than enough sober criticism around here without Blumie's nutty ramblings to keep us honest (though they do entertain). Seeing that this is the John Williams fan forum, I do wonder what keeps him coming back. He basically makes the case that John Williams (and the other legendary composers) should completely change their respective styles or retire from the field. Even Elfman, who has updated his style the most of any composer I can think of is derided for his modern contributions - on the basis that he has not changed enough. This kind of point of view does nothing to keep us fans honest - it just sounds silly. Sounds more like someone who really has very little appreciation for Williams' music, or any composer's music other than the up and comers. Sounds like an argument based solely on generational issues. All are welcome, but don't pretend you have 0 emissions when all you do is slam the music that brought us here. Great composers do not choose their style, they just have it. And that is what we love them for.

Yet again my witty sarcasm is misunderstood for that's what it was.

Yet again my witty sarcasm is misunderstood for that's what it was.

You know it's good sarcasm when nobody notices :)

Hmmm sounds nice. Is it that memorable, though? I somehow doubt it.

Beginning reminds me a little of "Dance of the Witches" in its mischievousness, the middle section reminds me of "The Mission Theme," the climix reminds me a bit of the climax of "Halloween" from E.T. (just before the flying theme kicks in).

Overall, I'm happy with it. :)

Meh. It's alriiiight, but I find it difficult to get excited about 46 seconds of music.

It definitely regurgitates old material though.

Please name the piece it regurgitates Quint.

*cough*I haven't heard this yet*cough*

*cough*refer to the link in the first post*cough*

Meh. It's alriiiight, but I find it difficult to get excited about 46 seconds of music.

It definitely regurgitates old material though.

Please name the piece it regurgitates Quint.

As someone stated earlier, I hear E.T. I also hear Harry Potter and I also hear The Mission. That's three.

*cough*I haven't heard this yet*cough*

http://www.thirteen.org/insidethirteen/?p=149

You should visit main page more often :)

I like it. Not the most original thing, but has more charm than latest Indy and is more imaginative than for example NFL themes. Besides, John Williams has written a lot of generic stuff for the last couple of ... decades. In the 80s he also would come up with something which didn't sound fresh at all. Even not being in his prime, he is able to write great and engaging music.

I like it. Not the most original thing, but has more charm than latest Indy

As Rupert Grint would say with a British accent, "You really need to sort out your priorities."

As Rupert Grint would say with a British accent, "You really need to sort out your priorities."

My priorities are sorted out very well.

It sounds nice. It's not remarkable enough to get me to A) jump for joy at the latest masterpiece from the maestro or B) condemn Williams's modern output as utterly lifeless and irrelevant. "Air and Simple Gifts" tells me that he's still got something to say musically.

So you think this 48 second clip sounds better than "The Jungle Chase," "A Whirl Through Academe," "Irina's Theme," "The Adventures of Mutt," etc....

Right! :)

turd.png

So you think this 48 second clip sounds better than "The Jungle Chase," "A Whirl Through Academe," "Irina's Theme," "The Adventures of Mutt," etc....

Right! :)

I'd risk saying that this new one sounds more like actual fun & adventure compared to The Adventures of Mutt or A Whirl Through Academe. As for The Jungle Chase, I find most of it quite unexciting, except for officialy unreleased beginning and vine-swinging stuff. However, I prefer Irina's Theme to this new theme.