What the story behind this?

Sandor

From the main page (Concert Works section):

1983 - America, The Dream Goes o­n

Composed in 1982, with lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman, for solo vocal, chorus and orchestra. Premiered with the Boston Pops under Williams, during the 1983 season. Famous for being part of the reason Williams temporarily resigned from the Pops in 1984.

Available o­n the John Williams/Boston Pops Recording American Classics and John Williams, the Dream Goes o­n

So what happened? ;)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perceived lack of respect from musicians during rehearsals. He stormed out of a reading session and resigned. People apologized and convinced him to come back.

So what happened? ;)

According to Wikipedia:

Williams almost ended his tenure with the Pops in 1984. Considered a customary practice of opinion, some players hissed while sight-reading a new Williams composition in rehearsal. Williams abruptly left the session and turned in his resignation, reportedly due to mounting conflicts with his film composing schedule as well as a perceived lack of discipline in the Pops' ranks, culminating in this latest instance. After entreaties by the management and personal apologies from the musicians, Williams reconsidered his resignation and continued for nine more years.

I'm assuming then that the "new Williams composition in rehearsal" is the piece in question.

Perceived lack of respect from musicians during rehearsals. He stormed out of a reading session and resigned. People apologized and convinced him to come back.

I wonder what Williams is like when "storming out" of a reading session. I bet it is not exactly a Bernard Herrmann style storming out. More of a polite yet indignant departure from the stage ;)

And in all fairness the piece comes off as so overly patriotic that it turns to a parody on itself.

i thought we clarified some time ago that this was a false rumour?

Or maybe it was people thought that this was the reason he left the pops in 1993 since we did not know the name of the piece then.

I wonder what Williams is like when "storming out" of a reading session. I bet it is not exactly a Bernard Herrmann style storming out. More of a polite yet indignant departure from the stage :lol:

:lol:

Yeah, I don't see Johnny being the furious "storming out" type. More like you described. Perhaps setting the baton down and stepping down from the podium, perhaps with a polite, "If you will excuse me, please" and then calmly but purposefully walking out of the hall. Just a guess, though.

Or maybe it was people thought that this was the reason he left the pops in 1993 since we did not know the name of the piece then.

No I believe this was confirmed as being pretty much accurate.

I bet Williams threw his baton down and dropped some "F" bombs on the way out. :lol:

We

of the incident.

It was all down to a late appearance by one of the violinists.

Poor Johny had simply had enough of these hedonistic antics by the orchestra members.

No I believe this was confirmed as being pretty much accurate.

I bet Williams threw his baton down and dropped some "F" bombs on the way out. :lol:

as long as he didnt throw it and impaled someone...

As a military band, we're resigned to play this one from time to time. It pretty much gets the same reaction from our musicians. I've heard several different wind band versions/transcriptions, and at first I thought that they were just poor adaptations, until I tracked down the original. (There's an old saying that you can't polish a t*rd...sorry if anyone finds that offensive, but I think this is a good place for that comment). I guess it gets the point across to some members in any audience though, as a patriotic selection.

Everything you write can't be a hit I guess; even Beethoven had his crappy works that are rarely (if ever) performed anymore.

I like to imagine that he tore off his turtleneck in fury and whipped it toward the offending musicians. In any case, though I haven't listened to the piece in some time, I remember the lyrics being the more cringe-worthy aspect of it.

I think the American Dream song in the film Wag the Dog is pretty much a parody of this piece. It certainly has the same ambience:

:P I laughed so hard when I first saw this film and this scene.

The orchestral setting is very good and upbeat but the lyrics unfortunately ruin the music for me. They are so jampacked with so typical American iconography and rhetoric that it becomes unbearable. Too much sugar.

We
of the incident.

It was all down to a late appearance by one of the violinists.

Poor Johny had simply had enough of these hedonistic antics by the orchestra members.

:P

There is actually footage of Williams scoulding the orchestra in 1984, Jonathan King (Brits will remember him!) went over to Boston to interview Williams for a BBC entertainment show and Williams was telling the orchestra to stop whistling and said something like, "Don't lower the dignity of this orchestra".

They weren't playing America.... though, it was a Copland piece I think.

I must dig the video out sometime!

Take a listen Nick!

Oh dear (cringe). It's the first time I've heard that (and the last) :P .

Parts of the choral melody reminded me of that Yub Nub Ewok song from Return of the Jedi. ;)

Yeah, that piece was new to me, too. The orchestral stuff ain't bad, and I believe in patriotism...but the lyrics are just too over-the-top. Starts to feel too much like a parody than an actual earnest expression of love for one's country.

Ah MissPadmé it is the magic of the internet, the land of the truly free. Anybody can post there anything with no idea if it is true or not.

And that man is John Williams conducting the piece. Unless Kunzel suddenly went into a strange surgery to transform himself to look less like John Williams after 1985. :P