The Official Mythbusters Thread

Anyone catch the YouTube special? It was actually some good stuff, loved the match-head cannon. This new season has been getting closer to the level of the first few seasons.

This show along with Top Gear and Lost (and BSG when it still ran) are the only shows I make a very concentrated effort to watch on a weekly basis.

This is a great show. I don't tune in on a weekly basis, but whenever I flip around and land on it it captivates me entirely.

Definitely a fun show. Haven't watched it much for a while, but I really like the whole spirit of it. Jamie and Adam are such kids...it's great. :) And they've shot a couple of things at places I've been to, which is always weird. :P

About time someone started a thread on this show. I LOVE watching it. Smash Lab, Time Warp just pale in comparison.

Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs are my favorite Discovery Channel shows.

is there in youtube the Temple of doom raft scene analisis?

Anyone catch the YouTube special?

Yup. That LEGO ball was awesome.

About time someone started a thread on this show. I LOVE watching it. Smash Lab, Time Warp just pale in comparison.

Smash Lab is painful. I think Time Warp is actually pretty cool.

Dirty Jobs is also good for a laugh.

Smash Lab is painful. I think Time Warp is actually pretty cool.

I agree on both counts. The first time I saw a bit of Smash Lab without knowing what it was, I thought it was some channel's parody or cheap knockoff of Mythbusters. Then I realized it was still Discovery Channel. I felt sad. But Time Warp doesn't try so much to be another Mythbusters - they just have fun showing stuff in extreme slow motion, which is certainly interesting to me.

Discovery Channel kicks ass. I love Man vs. Wild.

Survivorman is better.

Survivorman is better.

Not if all you want to see is a Christian Bale-look/sound alike running around eating nasty things :)

Here's a parody of Survivorman my brother made for a Discovery Channel contest. They told him to try to do a different show because they had too man Survivorman entries, so he did Dirty Jobs and won like $500 or something.

Survivorman is better.

Not if all you want to see is a Christian Bale-look/sound alike running around eating nasty things :)

See that's the thing, I'd rather see a show that can be helpful (as well as entertaining) with a guy who is actually alone in the middle of nowhere. If I wanted to see a "reality" show where someone just eats disgusting things I'd watch re-runs of Fear Factor. But that's just me.

Well Bear Grylls has a camera crew because he does some dangerous things. Are shows like these honestly helping you? The people doing them know what they're doing. For example, Grylls is always pointing out like which spiders and scorpions are edible, but if I'm out in the wild I'm not gonna be able to tell what is what. If any one of us on the board were truly lost, we'd be dead.

I also like that other show. Is it called Strange Eats? With Andrew Zimmerman. I'd eat the stuff he eats for money.

Well Bear Grylls has a camera crew because he does some dangerous things. Are shows like these honestly helping you? The people doing them know what they're doing. For example, Grylls is always pointing out like which spiders and scorpions are edible, but if I'm out in the wild I'm not gonna be able to tell what is what. If any one of us on the board were truly lost, we'd be dead.

I also like that other show. Is it called Strange Eats? With Andrew Zimmerman. I'd eat the stuff he eats for money.

I used to own a Bear Grill. Damn thing never worked right...

The Bear Grylls show Man vs. Wild (called Ultimate Survival here in the Netherlands), is basically an adrenaline junky trying to make survival situations look action packed, dangerous and disgusting.

Survivorman takes a more honest approuch by also showing the boredom, the failures (sometimes Les Stroud, despite his knowledge of survival just can't catch himself a break, and get something to eat).

Also, In Surivorman Les Stroud is truly left to his own devices, while Bear Grylls stages his show.

BTW, I really love Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs and Top Gear. :lol:

So is ballistics gel.

I want to make a ballistics gel of myself I could send to work when I don't want to go. Or, use in the passenger sit of my car so I can drive in the carpool lane (even though we don't have those in Illinois)

The Bear Grylls show Man vs. Wild (called Ultimate Survival here in the Netherlands), is basically an adrenaline junky trying to make survival situations look action packed, dangerous and disgusting.

Survivorman takes a more honest approuch by also showing the boredom, the failures (sometimes Les Stroud, despite his knowledge of survival just can't catch himself a break, and get something to eat).

Also, In Surivorman Les Stroud is truly left to his own devices, while Bear Grylls stages his show.

Exactly.

And Dirty Jobs is hilarious.

Anyone catch the YouTube special?

Yup. That LEGO ball was awesome.

Indeed it was. Mythbusters & The Big Bang Theory are my 2 favorite shows now that BSG is done.

• 5 years later...

Anybody here still watching Mythbusters?

I've seen every episode and basically loved it it's whole 12 year run.

Will be interesting to see what the show is like next year without Torey, Grant, and Kari. I know a lot of people didn't like them, but I always though they were a great addition to the cast and always liked their myths as much as Adam and Jaime's.

I think Discovery made a mistake letting them get away. Though maybe they will team up for a new show or something.

I've never seen another, I don't think. Other than Adam and Jaime's big toys or whatever special, and that head games, or mind games, or whatever it was called one.

They stopped busting urban legend type myths years ago. A lot of stuff they do now is debunking stuff that happens in movies or viral videos. It's just as entertaining though.

• 3 months later...

Trailer for their season premiere, a Simpsons special

What do people here think of them dropping Kari, Grant, and Tory? I think it's second only to Carolla firing Alison Rosen as the horrible decision / jump the shark moment of the last year

No way, the show was very solid for all 12 of its original seasons!

We'll see if it stays the same without the B team...

• 2 weeks later...

Mythbusters 13x01 The Simpsons Special

Well, here we are. The show definitely had a new feel to it, it wasn't just same old same old. The new graphics package was actually kind of nice, though a bit distracting at times - though I guess they have time to iron out the wrinkles. Much less distracting than the live tweeted episodes, that's for sure. The new music wasn't as good as the old scoring, and the new opening credits where awful. The myths themselves where cool though, I was really surprised by how destruction a cherry bomb could be in a toilet, and the homer on the wrecking ball was really neat to see.

Mythbusters 13x02 The Busters of the Lost Myths

Warming up to the new graphics package. The new opening credits are AWFUL though. Stupid music and a stupid attempt to make Adam and Jaime be action stars. The old one was better because it had better music, and because it included clips of them being funny. I already miss "Am i missing an eyebrow?", "It's my little pop gun", "Jaimie wants a big boom", etc The myths tested this week where cool, I like when they proved the tip of a whip can go faster than the speed of sound, and using the whip to swing over the chasm was a cool one too. I thought it was interesting in the temple run that with the one second delayed reduced to no delay, Adam only got hit one time.

The first episode was a little humdrum. But this episode sold me on the new format. I'm thoroughly enjoying watching how talented these two guys are when it comes to just making things out of nothing.

The credits suck indeed, but that's just Discovery trying to appeal to their "Moonshiners" style crowd.

You don't see any more of less of them making things out of nothing than you did in all prior episodes though.

It's the same show just with them doing 4 myths themselves instead of them doing 2 and the Build Team doing 2

I really hope they test the shrimp cannon viral video.

Gotta watch the new episodes first before I can make judgment calls.

And I'm really looking forward to the Transformers episode. I wanna see if they can build a car that can change into a motorcycle.

You don't see any more of less of them making things out of nothing than you did in all prior episodes though.

It's the same show just with them doing 4 myths themselves instead of them doing 2 and the Build Team doing 2

Check your eyes and internal chronometer Jay!

Mythbusters 13x03 The A-Team Special

Another good one. Loved how they proved the A-Team's method of firing planks of wood would never work, and then immediately make a kick-ass rig that worked beautifully. That was awesome! I doubt they really did it in an hour, though :) The sewer explosion was really interesting. Was not expecting that end result! Hearing the A-Team theme again was very nostalgic for me!

Mythbusters 13x04 Video Game Special

Wow, it was really cool seeing them build and then run through a DOOM level. The Fruit Ninja stuff was cool too!

Mythbusters 13x05 Transformers

Well, that was awesome! I didn't think the bicycle-cum-paddle-boat would work at all, and it was so cool to see Adam pull it off! Then the second version Jamie made was a nice, intelligent upgrade on that design. Very cool.

Turning that crazy french car into a motorcyle was the real highlight though. I loved how easy it was to take apart that car (wtf?), and how they used nothing but hand tools to turn it into a working motorcyle - not that I'm surprised they could only control it for about a hundred feet. The redesign was great too, and even better, but again I wasn't surprised it didn't really work. Too much weight, not enough torque. Still, cool to see everything here

Mythbusters 13x06 San Francisco Drift

Easily the worst / least interesting episode of the season. I felt like all of this was planned to be half an episode, with the Build Team doing some other car myths to fill out the episode, and now it's stretched to fill up the hour. I mean, it shouldn't really take long to show what they showed. It was still all neat though, especially when the professional slid that limo in the parallel parking spot