Are you a John Williams Completist?

King Mark

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a JW completist?

For me here is where lies the difference between John Williams and other composers :

With most composers I am perfectly happy with OST releases ,and sometimes I find I have to listen to a lot of music before I find something that I really like. Some examples are Basil Poledouris, Alan Silvestri ,John Debney,Danny Elfman,Ennio Morricone...etc...They all can produce some terrific cues from time to time, but not in every score they write.

There's some other composers I became enough of a fan of to check out most scores they composed but don't make a fuss on what I'm missing or actively look for news of upcoming releases :Jerry Goldsmith,John Barry and James Horner for example.I do not buy new releases blindly though.It would be great if Gremlins was released but I can live without it too.

BUT almost ALL John Williams scores contain at least a few cues/highlights that are better than what most other composers can write (example The Ancestral Home in The River or The Turbulent Years in Nixon).

This is why John Williams is the only composer I want a complete collection of and will "blindly" buy a new score from ,and would like every piece of unreleased music that exists. I must admit there's a bit of an obsession in there too. And I somewhat don't care about the 60's comedy stuff but I'd buy any post 1970 complete score

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say no. I would never buy the complete scores to, say, War of the Worlds, Stepmom or many of his 90's era scores. Most of his material from the 60's doesn't interest me at all.

Frankly, his most popular and celebrated works are his BEST. There are people here who believe that his less celebrated stuff is among his best, but that's horse shit. Star Wars, E.T., Jaws, Superman, Indiana Jones, CE3K. He wrote his absolute best material for those scores and they're his most enthralling and enduring compositions. I want every note of those. I cannot say the same for much of his 60's and 90's output. I just wouldn't get most of it. It would put me to sleep.

No, there are scores by him that do not interest me and have not bought. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I'm part of the Star Wars, Indy, Superman, etc crowd. That's the kind of Williams stuff I like the most, so I wouldn't buy something like Stepmom. I do like some of his non-bombastic stuff like "The Terminal" or "A.I." Even if I'm not a completist he's still by far my favorite composer.

As far as having every piece of unreleased music, I'm quite content with what we have actually. The only score I really, really want to get a complete release is Hook. I probably also would get the prequels, I love Episode I and it would be great to have a decent release finally. Episode III has probably the worst OST so it would also be nice to have, there's good stuff there and since I suck at editing I'm mostly stuck with having to listen to the CD. And if it's a boxset I guess there's no harm in having Episode II expanded.

I am indeed a Williams completist (budget permitting). He's the only composer I'm that big a fan of, although I am starting to feel the need to become a Giacchino completist, too.

I am also a James Bond music completist, and I've got my similar such obsessions with books and movies and the like, as well.

I am in complete agreement with you, Mark, that Williams' music just has something that most other music -- be it film music or not -- doesn't have, in terms of its appeal for me.

For that reason, I'm always thrilled to hear about new Williams releases of music I don't already have. And unless there's something I'm somehow unaware of, I've got every legit release out there.

So yep, definitely a completist, and very happy to stay one.

The most important stuff to be made available is as follows:

Hook complete score

E.T. complete score

Family Plot

Indiana Jones complete scores

Star Wars Trilogy in better quality

CE3K complete score

Later on, we can get the prequels and Harry Potter.

E.T is Dying (film version), The Kiss and Stuffed Animals. There's also "Into the Corn Field" but I think it's tracked from Main Titles and mixed a bit different

But I think E.T. is Dying (film version) is a highlight of Williams career so it's significant

not in the least.

believe it or not there are more important things in life than John's music.

Definitely not.

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Hook

E.T.

Home Alone (the first one)

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

Revenge Of The Sith

Indiana Jones (all four)

Those are the only scores I really want in complete form from Williams.

I'd also like to have properly remastered versions of the OT scores but doubt we'll get those any time soon.

Yes. I would like to at some point be able to say that I own every single officially released piece of music written by Williams (or at the very least, every single officially released film score).

There's a reason I've chosen JW, I certainly think he's the very best and I connect with his music very consistently (especially when compared to other composers). From a musical standpoint, I'd probably be fine with a narrow selection of Williams music. However, the collector inside me that loves to look at my always expanding CD shelf would love to own every single Williams soundtrack. It's a long term goal of mine.

Mostly yes. I don't think I'd pass up on any Williams expanded or complete release no matter what I think of the score. I'm honestly not too interested in his concert works though, beyond the Olympic themes.

I would never turn away a Williams score, but I am not actively filling in the gaps. There's so many other releases competing for my dollar. But he is my #1, with Goldsmith a close second. I will blind buy a Williams, but there is a lot I'm missing, so it will take me a while to explore all of that. I am glad Mark is pointing out that special something that Williams has. I am aghast at some of the anti-Williams comments I read at a certain other film music message board. Frankly, I can't understand how any human being cannot find some of Mr. Williams' output pleasing to the ear.

But,anyways, I guess I am a bit of a Williams completist, but I'm taking my own sweet time with it. (I just bought Stepmom for $1 :) )

I'm a completist when it comes to cues from within a score that I really like, but I'm that way with scores by numerous composers. I definitely don't need every score Williams has written, at least not at this point, but as the years go on, I suppose it's possible that if all his scores were easily available for purchase, I'd eventually buy them all.

Yes, absolutely. John Williams is the only composer for which I would truly like to own every single note of every single film score he does. While its unlikely to happen in the realm of owning the physical CDs (especially since I already missed out on Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure, CE3K OST version, and some others), I certainly want to have a digital version of everything. And I pretty much buy every single Williams CD that comes out now, from about 2001 onward I have everything on CD. Working my way backwards but who knows if I'll ever fill in all the gaps.

I would say yes, I am a completist, in that I am always working towards collecting every released Williams album. But I like not having everything yet, because there's always something to look forward to.

Not really. I am not even interested in buying every available official release, not to mention collecting every single note.

On the other hand, I am still more interested in having as many interesting releases of JW's music as possible than in case of any other composer.

There are people here who believe that his less celebrated stuff is among his best, but that's horse shit.

Then you are missing the occasional - just occasional, mind - gem.

Frankly, his most popular and celebrated works are his BEST. There are people here who believe that his less celebrated stuff is among his best, but that's horse shit.

I mean no disrespect, but your post is one of the most ridiculous I have ever read on this MB.

I buy pretty much every official release. But I'm not desperate or anything. There is more JW in my collection than anything else, but I enjoy many other things.

Karol

I buy pretty much every official release. But I'm not desperate or anything. There is more JW in my collection than anything else, but I enjoy many other things.

Karol

I very much agree with this reply. I'd say I own 95% of all official releases. And I don't lose sleep over the first 2 seconds of "Escape from Venice" or the other, edited ending of ToD.

In fact, I don't think I am as much of a JW fan as I was, say, 5 years ago. Still, I love his music, and probably will continue to do so all my life.

I'm going to say yes, but there are a few exceptions.

I don't buy re-recordings by other composers if the original complete versions exist.

I won't buy any scores that Williams conducted / arranged but did not compose anything new for. So far Tom Sawyer is the only one I don't have.

I won't waste my time ripping music from isolated scores, video games or DVD rear channels.

I won't buy any Boston Pops CDs or compilation CDs unless they feature unreleased or new music by Williams. I only have 6 of the Williams / Boston Pops CDs: By Request, Pops In Space, Williams on Williams, Spielberg / Williams Collaboration and the 2 Christmas discs.

I should qualify my statement. While I would like to have, if not own, all of JW's works, I am not going out of my way to buy it. There are large gaps in my JW collection, mostly from his newer scores and those older movies they never show in reruns. For a few hundred bucks I could fill in those gaps, but I place higher priority on buying the limited edition scores by other artists (and other items that aren't music). For example, I selectively opted to not buy Heartbeeps, but I have bought the other recent specialty releases.

I don't rip scores from video games unless they're PC games where the scores are already in some convenient format. KOTCS isn't all Williams, but coupled with the Dark Forces soundtrack I got before it disappeared, they make nice complements to the normal Star Wars scores.

I bought the Witches of Eastwick DVD for $3 specifically to rip the isolated score from.

I'm more of a completist of specific rock groups that I like. Probably because they have a lot fewer albums than Williams, Goldsmith, or Horner. I don't, however, share in the elitist view towards Williams over all other composers.

I don;t use rear channel DVD rips to expand scores but I do use videogame /DVD menu music is it's similar quality to the OST and clean of sound effects (Battle front 2,TFU for RotS)

I don't buy re-recordings by other composers if the original complete versions exist.

I won't buy any scores that Williams conducted / arranged but did not compose anything new for. So far Tom Sawyer is the only one I don't have.

I won't waste my time ripping music from isolated scores, video games or DVD rear channels.

I won't buy any Boston Pops CDs or compilation CDs unless they feature unreleased or new music by Williams. I only have 6 of the Williams / Boston Pops CDs: By Request, Pops In Space, Williams on Williams, Spielberg / Williams Collaboration and the 2 Christmas discs.

I'm the same.

I also love the little nuggets ,like it would be really nice to have a clean recording of that Great Performances or NBC Rodeo theme.These I especially seek out,as well as concert recordings that are different than the OST.

While I agree generally with that sentiment, there are at least two Boston Pops cd's that should be in everyone's collection:

- Music for Stage and Screen, which includes a great performance and arrangement of 3 pieces from Born on the Fourth of July and an absolutely stunning The Reivers suite, which includes an amazing Scherzo for the race that can't be heard anywhere else (and the Copland pieces are also great)

- Pops Britannia, for the great Jane Eyre suite.

I'm not a completist in the sense that I have to own it just to have it sitting pretty on my shelf.

It's just that most of his scores are simply worth having in their entirety.

I don't have the Boston Pops albums that don't have any of Williams own pieces ,but if they contain one I bought them (I Love a Parade, America the Dream Goes On)

i would like to be a williams completist... but since there is much out of print..i really cant..

but i try to get as much as i can.

I'm also a giacchino completist.

From other composers, i buy the scires that I like.

I'm not a completist for any composers.

I believe in having a collection that will actually be listened to, not based on needing to have everything a composer has ever written. I've rejected plenty of complete scores in favour of the OST

To clarify, I don't need to have every single CD released or every single note of music. Rather, I plan on having at least one release for every officially released film soundtrack. For instance, I don't need all three releases of Jaws, I'm content with having just the Collector's Edition.

It depends on the score. If it's a score that I truly love then I would want a complete release of it, but compared to all the scores Williams and other composers I like have done, that isn't a very big number. That said, I'd like to eventually own most if not all of JW's OST's (not necessarily complete editions).

i would like to be a williams completist... but since there is much out of print..i really cant..

Yeah, it sucks for those of us who missed the boat (pun not intended, but welcomed!) on The Poseidon Adventure/The Paper Chase and The Towering Inferno.

I was extraordinarily lucky to get The Poseidon Adventure/The Paper Chase. I'll do a search for The Towering Inferno every now and then, and always end up finding the "boot" version, not the FSM version. I think all 3,000 copies have found a home where they are welcomed.

I kinda regret paying $80 for The Fury, but I take solace in that it will probably never be rereleased. Scores like SpaceCamp, Jaws 2, and Earthquake are fair game for expansion/rereleasing.

Unfortunately I am. Actually I'm a completist with pretty much all things I'm really into. I have about 60 Miles Davis CDs, 250 Bach CDs, and a whole bunch of Bowie, Kraftwerk, Klaus Schulze, Rautavaara, etc. I can't help it, I'm a guy, and guys just are natural collectors.

Yes, but I refuse to pay for a few out-of-print titles - namely Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure, Jaws 2, Dracula, SpaceCamp, Earthquake - as I prefer to give my money to FSM and the like rather than greedy people. Here's hoping for reissues of those scores.

I definitely am a devoted completist with the most ravenous hunger towards completing my JW collection, of course. ;) My other (more or less complete) collections are:

- all 007 soundtracks

- as many Holst's The Planets CDs and full scores as I can get my hands on (in every possible setting - for symphony orchestra, for organ, for two pianos, for concert band, the Tomita version ...)

- all LotR soundtracks (CRs and the regular single CD editions)

- Jerry Goldsmith collection (growing all the time)

- James Horner collection (growing all the time)

- The Beatles collection (growing all the time)

- Miles Davis collection (growing all the time)

- Dream Theater collection (growing all the time)

- wind music collection (growing all the time)

- the complete 007 on DVD

- the complete 007 on BR (only bought FYEO and CR so far)

- the complete Keeping Up Appearances on DVD

- the complete MacGyver on DVD (so far, I've only managed to buy seasons 1, 2 and 4)

- the complete M*A*S*H on DVD (on the wish list)

- the complete La femme Nikita on DVD (on the wish list - doesn't even exist yet)

- the complete Mission: Impossible on DVD (on the wish list)

- the complete Midsomer Murders on DVD (on the wish list)

- the complete Stephen King books collection

- the complete J. R. R. Tolkien collection

- the complete J. K. Rowling collection

And there must be a lot more, but I'm frustrated enough as it is with everything that I don't yet have ... ;):P

Since we're branching into other things, I am a Beatles completist, not that I have everything but I do try to get everything, all official releases, different mixes, 100+ hours of the Get Back sessions, live recordings as long as they're not too crappy, whatever I can find.