The Gold Box - Ron Jones' music of Star Trek

Kendal_Ozzel

As previously mentioned, FSM is coming out with a 14-disc box set featuring Ron Jones music from Star Trek: The Next Generation. It will have 40 complete episode scores, previously unreleased cues from "The Best of Both Worlds", and Jones' scores from the games Starfleet Academy and Starfleet Command.

TrekMovie has just announced that the set will come in a gold slipcase, which they will have an exclusive look at soon.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes!

Looks great, but I'm guessinf you'll have to part with a lot of Gold pressed Latinum to be able to own it.

$149.95

I'm for sure buying this sucker. I can't wait for it and to finally own the remaining previously unreleased cues for "The Best Of Both Worlds". Grant it will be my only purchase for next month but it'll be worth it. I for sure will be listening to all the episodes.

Ahh...they list Final Mission among the included episodes. That's really a great one. I think I've posted this whenever talk of TNG music has ever come up, but I recorded the "music" (aka all the audio) from Final Mission on my Home Alone 2 Talkboy (along with the asteroid cave music, Temple of Doom finale/end credits and the Seaquest main title) when I was younger. The scene where Wesley and Picard talk in the cave and he gets the water is fantastic. I recently listened to the 1987 animated disc from the Superman box set, and Jones' music from The Adoption is extremely similar to that scene in Final Mission.

From my limited viewing experience of TNG, I remember the underscore to be rather generic and uneventful. One for the collectors then.

Ron Jones' music was an exception, which is why he was "booted" from the series by a apparently deaf Rick Berman, or at least that's what the rumors say.

True, but they still had some of McCarthy and Chattaway's good work later on ('All Good Things...' is particularly good). DS9 got some great music later on, but it was always going to have a different tone because it was so opposite to TNG, which Trek really needed (which was made more the obvious when the awful Voyager appeared afterwards to bland up our screens).

I never thought that TNG or DS9 (even Voyager) had dull music in a lot of the episodes. I thought Jay Chattaway and for the most part Dennis McCarthy did an excellent job at the music. All though I preferred Jay Chattaway's music.

Well I'm glad I still have my copy of BOBW TV sdtk. And I am excited to hear Jones' Romulan theme in "The Neutral Zone," The Defector," & "Data's Day." Heck I am looking forward listening to all of Jones' scores :lol:

There's a ton of really memorable closing music that would underscore the Enterprise with the producer credits just before the end credits. QPid I think featured a bit of variation on Horner's Star Trek theme, Family has a spine-tingling rendition of the Courage fanfare and another favorite is Hollow Pursuits when Barclay saves the holodeck program.

There's a ton of really memorable closing music that would underscore the Enterprise with the producer credits just before the end credits. QPid I think featured a bit of variation on Horner's Star Trek theme, Family has a spine-tingling rendition of the Courage fanfare and another favorite is Hollow Pursuits when Barclay saves the holodeck program.

I believe McCarthy's score to "Hollow Pursuits" is on the Best of ST:TNG, Vol. 3. :)

That's released? Hitting up Amazon. You learn something new every day.

With the assistance of IMDb, I have concluded that it's Jay Chattaway's music that I didn't like. By far.

Only a partial version of it but as shockwave said it's on the TNG Volume 3 CD with "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "Unification".