Sequencing Jurassic Park

Mr. Breathmask

Right now, I'm working on a chronological edit of the OST album of Jurassic Park. Well, I'm trying at least. Those fade-overs to other cues are a bitch.

Anyhoo, I've been using the complete cue list on this site, but I'm left with a couple of questions. First, here's the track listing as I have it now.

01 - Opening Titles (CD track 1)

02 - Incident at Isla Nublar (CD track 3; 00:00-2:13)

03 - Journey to the Island (CD track 4)

04 - Hatching Baby Raptor (CD track 6; 00:00-1:57)

05 - Jurassic Park Gate (CD track 13)

06 - Sick Triceratops (CD track 8; 00:00-2:27)

07 - Dennis Steals the Embryo (CD track 9)

08 - Eye To Eye (CD track 14; 00:00-2:20)

09 - Just Like A Treehouse (CD track 3; 2:13-3:21)

10 - Finding Malcolm (CD track 3; 3:21-5:20)

11 - A Tree For My Bed (CD track 10)

12 - Remembering Petticoat Lane (CD track 12)

13 - My Friend, The Brachiosaurus (CD track 8; 2:27-4:16)

14 - Life Found A Way (CD track 6; 1:57-3:21)

15 - The Power Shed (CD track 14; 2:20-6:32)

16 - High-Wire Stunts (CD track 11)

17 - The Raptor Attack (CD track 5)

18 - T-Rex Rescue & Finale (CD track 15)

19 - End Credits (CD track 7)

Bonus Track 01 - Theme From Jurassic Park (CD track 2)

Bonus Track 02 - Welcome to Jurassic Park (CD track 16)

There are some parts I'm wondering about, and the cue list seems a bit dodgy.

For instance, I split track 3 into three parts, because the cue list lists Between A Truck And A Long Fall (which I named Just Like A Treehouse) and Finding Dr. Malcolm seperated by the unreleased "Bring Back My Grandchildren!" This is incorrect. The unreleased cue goes before the tree sequence, which is immediately followed by the finding of Malcolm. Ironically, this is the only spot where there actually is a moment of silence between the two cues. I also kinda like having these two seperated, so I'll leave it like it is.

Track 5 I just can't figure out. The cue list lists it as one cue that plays out in the film (during the kitchen sequence), but the music in the film doesn't start until 01:05 (when the raptor opens the door). I don't know where the first minute is from (was it perhaps dropped? I seem to recognize it from somewhere in the film), and the latter part of the track also seems different from the cue as presented in the film. Any help here?

The last troubling track is track 14: Eye To Eye. The second part is no problem. Everything up from 2:20 pretty much plays out in the film as it does on the album. But those first two-and-a-half minutes were dropped from the film altogether, and where they should be is anyone's guess.

The complete cue list puts it between Dennis Steals The Embryo and Between A Truck And A Long Fall. This seems all right. If you start the track on the pan from the goat to the car, it lines up pretty well right up until Lex asks "Where's the goat?" The cue ends there.

Is this correct? Can anyone confirm this (outside of the cue list)?

So... thoughts? Advice? All is welcome.

- Marc

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first 2:20 of Eye to Eye is an unused cue (5M3 - Goat Bait) intended to underscore the attempted baiting of the T-Rex and subsequent no-show of the T-Rex during the park tour.

I see. Thanks.  

So this goes between Jurassic Park Gate and Sick Triceratops, right?

I don't know, but I would like to see this question answered.

:)

For instance, I split track 3 into three parts, because the cue list lists Between A Truck And A Long Fall (which I named Just Like A Treehouse) and Finding Dr. Malcolm seperated by the unreleased "Bring Back My Grandchildren!" This is incorrect. The unreleased cue goes before the tree sequence, which is immediately followed by the finding of Malcolm. Ironically, this is the only spot where there actually is a moment of silence between the two cues. I also kinda like having these two seperated, so I'll leave it like it is.

That's correct, the cue list is wrong. I signalled it myself some year ago. The cue lists are not completely correct - I remember something of an error occurred in the A.I. list too, that's still there.

Track 5 I just can't figure out. The cue list lists it as one cue that plays out in the film (during the kitchen sequence), but the music in the film doesn't start until 01:05 (when the raptor opens the door). I don't know where the first minute is from (was it perhaps dropped? I seem to recognize it from somewhere in the film), and the latter part of the track also seems different from the cue as presented in the film. Any help here?

I figured the first part is simply unused. If I remember correctly, the first part of the kitchen sequence used no music in the film (and wisely so, in my opinion), perhaps Williams did compose music for that scene. I can't help you on the different ending, though.

Good luck!

I agree with Lotman on track 5 - It was most likely supposed to play out in it's entirity where it is, but most of it was cut, or replaced with tracked material from Eye to Eye.

The music used in the lastest scene at the helicopter when Hammond looks forward the island is in track 7 - Welcome to Jurassic Park, it is the part separating the two main themes that last about 30 seconds.

My guess has always been that the Eye to Eye scene was for the part where the T-Rex approaches the car and the T-Rex peers into the car. We get the close-up shot of its eye and, thus, the track title. It would obviously only be meant to score the initial portion of that sequence not the whole sequence. But I've never bothered to try to cue it up to see if it could match.

- Adam