21 reasons Least Crusade stinks

JoeinAR

I watched this movie the other day, and I can't believe how bad it seems to get with each viewing.
Its sort of like Superman 2, its just virtually becoming unwatchable. Sure some things work, but in most movies good or bad there are a few things that work, but they are few and far between here.
So here is a list of reason why this film stinks. I am sure most will disagree, though some points are inarguable. Spielberg says he made Last Crusade to apologize for TOD, personally I want a 4, so he can make up for 3. Maybe its just best to leave the series alone.

River Phoenix, annoying as hell, prelude to Jake Lloyd.
it disrespects the audience, by spelling out the Indy mythos
after the dark TOD, they overcompensate & swing too far in the other direction into farcical comedy
the zepplin looks fake, fake, fake
the italian fighter is a terrible effect too
the fat boy as a comic foil, yes thats origianal
the passing of the hat is lame, yes Indy pattern yourself after the BADGUY
the lesson by Henry Jones in the prologue is just pointless
the scotsman act is horrendous, did Indy suddenly join the cast of SNL
the waste of trying to retread Raiders, and then not paying attention to Raiders at all
the whole tank sequence, makes desert chase seem even better than it is and it is great.
the lack of a decent central villian, makes you wish for Belluoq and Mola Ram
the obviously duplicitous Elsa, Indy are you that stupid, even a blind man wouldn't have trusted her
the obvious modern cup, with its machined bottom
X-marks the spot set up,
the undeveloped plotline involing the order of the cruciform sword, they are interesting, lets kill them all off.
Brody the buffoon, hey lets have a lovable character with Alzheimers
Spielberg's lacks direction, sure he had a good time, but he didn't make a good film
Williams' lacks scoring effort, uninspired, but then look at what he had to inspire him
the unbelievable encounter with Hitler, when the Nazi's are after you why not head right into the center ?
the whole no ticket scene, typical of everything is a joke in this movie

please feel free to add to this list.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste of time, if you ask me.  

Dont you prefer seeing movies you like instead of slicing one you dislike?

It's a bit different when it's a move in a series that you like though, isn't it?

I don't think it's as bad as Joe says, but it's definitely the weakest of the three in my opinion. My main problem with it is that it just seems to cut from one action set-piece to another and seems very disjointed. Although Raiders was similar in structure it seems to flow much more smoothly. Whenever I watch Last Crusade I find myself thinking "Oh it's the zeppelin bit. Oh it's the tank bit" etc etc.

No. He did very well. The part as it was written just wasn't any good.

it disrespects the audience, by spelling out the Indy mthos

Yes.

after the dark TOD, they overcompensate & swing too far in the other direction into farcical comedy

Yes.

Meh.

Meh.

Yes. But he only has like, what, 2, 3 minutes of screentime?

Yeah, that was weird.

It establishes Henry and Indy's relationship by actually showing it instead of just having them talk about it later.

Meh.

the waste of trying to retread Raiders, and then not paying attention to Raiders at all

I'm not sure what you mean here.

the whole tank sequence, makes desert chase seem even better than it is and it is great.

The desert chase is arguably one of the best chase sequences put to film. Of course you're not going to top that. But yes, the destruction looks good, but the action events are contrived, and everything going on inside the tank is distracting.

Yes, but for some reason, it's not that big a problem to me.

the obviously duplicitous Elsa, Indy are you that stupid, even a blind man wouldn't have trusted her

Maybe, but she was hot. And they were in Venice.

So?

X-marks the spot set up,

I actually like that.

the undeveloped plotline involing the order of the cruciform sword, they are interesting, lets kill them all off.

Very true.

Yes.

Spielberg's lacks direction, sure he had a good time, but he didn't make a good film

Have you seen Hook or A.I.?

Williams' lacks scoring effort, uninspired, but then look at what he had to inspire him

Bullocks.

the unbelievable encounter with Hitler, when the Nazi's are after you why not head right into the center ?

Yes.

Meh.

- Marc, who doesn't think LC sucks.

Have you seen Hook or A.I.?

Hook happens to be one of my favorite movies, thank you very much.

And I happen to like LC better than TOD.

Rail against one of my favorite movies, I can tolerate. But rail against one of my favorite scores, now that crosses the line. Spare us your flamebaiting please.

Rail against one of my favorite movies, I can tolerate. But rail against one of my favorite scores, now that crosses the line. Spare us your flamebaiting please.

look mister 3rd rate beer, this isn't a flamebaiting so deal with it. Its an uninspired effort. Better than I used to think, but nowhere near worthy of the praise some of you foam at the mouth about.

How about the Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra? What about the Theme for the Grail? I'm not foaming at the mouth by any means, but these most certainly are not things that Williams just thought of out of lack of inspiration.

look mister 3rd rate beer, this isn't a flamebaiting so deal with it. Its an uninspired effort. Better than I used to think, but nowhere near worthy of the praise some of you foam at the mouth about.

Wooo....this is NOT the Joe I remember!! You ok?

And....TLC IS the worst of the Jones-trilogy and I even agree with some of your statements, but I still like the film. And what's wrong with the score? It's a great score with a truly emotional core.

I'm sure Joe's only confessing that the TLC score is better then he used to think to humor me, since I went to the trouble of sending him the boot.

I'm sure he still disregards is as much as ever.

And....TLC IS the worst of the Jones-trilogy and I even agree with some of your statements, but I still like the film. And what's wrong with the score? It's a great score with a truly emotional core.

Do you really mean worst, or do you mean least good? There's a huge difference.

No.

No.

It does it brilliantly, never goes too far.

In the wide shots, yes.

the italian fighter is a terrible effect too.

Undeniably.

the fat boy as a comic foil, yes thats origianal.

It by definition should not be original in this sense. The fat boy as the comic foil is part of what makes it so great, that it uses these stereotypes and classic, pulp charicatures.

Yes, it's lame, but it's fully compesated for by that perfect shot of Indy smiling and then catchign a punch to the face.

It tells us about the character, and creates an expectation for the character. It is essential to enjoying Connery's entrance. Besides, it's a fine entrance for JW's Grail theme.

It's funny. It works.

Then I guess it must not be retreading Raiders, huh.

Yeah, the first part of it (Indy on the horse) sucked.

Vogel and Julian Glover are menace enough. The film's strength is in the relationship between Indy and his father, it does not need as central a villain as the first two. That's one thing that makes this film especialy unique- unlike all the other superhero/James bond movies- the movie doesn't need to be as good as it's villain, as it's got Connery to compensate for it.

A seductive temptress is a classic ingredient. Trouble is, Else ain't that seductive.

Never noticed that.

X-marks the spot set up

It's fun. It works.

Theoreticaly yes, but they're too minor for me to dwell over.

He did not have alzheimers, he was absent minded. And it was VERY funny, and it works.

No, probably, yes he did.

Williams' sounded particulaly inspired, and came up with one of his best scores ever.

It is perfect, hillarious, chilling. And he was pushed.

It's funny. It works.

Morlock- who is amused watching Joe so pissed off that people actually like a film he doesn't.

The reason Indy modeled himself after the "bad guy" is to show how much disrespect he has for his father! When given the option to be like his own blood, dress nicely, and research, he opts for the rugged adventurer...quite the opposite of his father. I think it's actually quite clever. Maybe you didn't pick up on it.

I thought the passing of the torch from Fedora to "Indy" was a great moment. It is his first real introduction to archeology because his father never had time for him to show him what archeology is all about. He did learn about many artifacts though through his fathers own work.

I didn't like IJATLC for many of the reasons that Joe has listed and then some. My biggest disappointment, as I know it is the same for others, is that GL and SS turned the Nazis into bumbling, incompetent clowns which trivialised the horrors they perpertrated. Lets face it it's only a movie but if every movie showed them like this then the lessons of history will be lost.

I can keep going on this subject but will limit myself to just the above.

Flamesuit on.

I watched this movie the other day, and I can't believe how bad it seems to get with each viewing.

Its sort of like Superman 2, its just virtually becoming unwatchable.  Sure some things work, but in most movies good or bad there are a few things that work, but they are few and far between here.

So here is a list of reason why this film stinks.  I am sure most will disagree, though some points are inarguable.  Spielberg says he made Last Crusade to apologize for TOD, personally I want a 4, so he can make up for 3.  Maybe its just best to leave the series alone.

X-marks the spot set up,  

please feel free to add to this list.

What took you so long to finally see this?

I'm sure Joe's only confessing that the TLC score is better then he used to think to humor me, since I went to the trouble of sending him the boot.

I'm sure he still disregards is as much as ever.

Do you really mean worst, or do you mean least good? There's a huge difference.

actually I listen to it from time to time, I keep it at work. I have also made my own Indy cdr, with several tracks. As I said the Stefan version is better than the original release, but it still is the least of the 3 scores.

Roald I just figured Neil's 50 reasons ROTJ sucks needs a companion piece, and I really do think the film really is problematic.

Alex, I've always felt it was the weakest, but the other day, I realized its not holding up well at all.

After read this horrible thread, I was going to reply my total disppointment, but Luke and Stefan come before me, so I'll just quote them.

Wow, Joe just listed 21 reasons whI love TLC sooo much.

And of course it has Connery too. bowdown

Thanks Luke, thanks Stefan! :angry::)

Once again, I disagree with Joe on nearly all accounts.

Let me just say, River = great. Beats the crap out of Flannery.

Marcus Brody = friggin' hilarious. "Water? No thank you. Fish make love in it." LOL

Score = amazing. The last track falls in my top 5 (or 3...or maybe even number 1) Williams pieces ever. (The faster version of Scherzo sounds better than the actual cue, IMO.)

I could go on, but I think most people here agree. This film is great. In fact, I think I may just watch it again tonight.

A seductive temptress is a classic ingredient. Trouble is, [Elsa] ain't that seductive.

She can seduce me any day. :)

The Nazis were portrayed as they were to fit the Saturday afternoon matinee genre of film that Indiana Jones was meant to be by Spielberg all along - not a dramatic, graphically realistic representation of the real historical events surrounding their prominence.

This is the funniest, best cast, best scored, and most enjoyable of the IJ trilogy, and its shame people have to nit-pick it tirelessly instead of just enjoying it.

Yes, it's lame, but it's fully compesated for by that perfect shot of Indy smiling and then catchign a punch to the face.

I think that it is a great transition! Of course JW gives a great rendition of the Indy theme at that moment which makes it work for me. :mrgreen:

Neil's 50 reasons ROTJ sucks

Ahem! Ahem! Neil's 50 reasons Jedi sucks list??

If I recall correctly, I posted a link to it first.

Neil - surprised Joe didn't mention anything about Indiana's tie

ok, enlighten me Neil, didn't he wear a bow tie?

personally if thats right, I love bow ties, they are classy, and hard to tie.

I don't think stating why you dislike a movie is a waste of time. Joe used to think so, though, at least he did in my "Why I Hate Superman - The Movie" thread. Must have changed his mind.

no Ross, its just that Superman the movie isn't like Last Crusade, its a loving piece of film work, that works on levels LC could even begin to imagine.

Superman is a very good movie, and a great piece of entertainment. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is an average movie, and good entertainment the first time. It simply doesn't hold up.

My biggest problem I seem to recall about your I hate Superman the Movie thread was your criticisms of Chris Reeve, and on every level that is wrong.

as for Luke ignorant comment,

Luke when I go to a movie, I go because I want to see it. At that point I don't know if I like it or not.

Only after I see it do I make that decision.

I saw Last Crusade at a sneak preview of the film a week before it opened nationally. I enjoyed it, but I was unsatisfied, and am still unsatisfied with the finished product. It simply is not as good as Raiders and anyone who says it is, is a fool. Its not even as good as TOD, which as I have pointed out many times on this board was a better reviewed film at the time, than LC which only garnered luke warm reviews at best.

no Ross, its just that Superman the movie isn't like Last Crusade, its a loving piece of film work, that works on levels LC could even begin to imagine.

Superman is a very good movie, and a great piece of entertainment.  Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is an average movie, and good entertainment the first time.  It simply doesn't hold up.

My biggest problem I seem to recall about your I hate Superman the Movie thread was your criticisms of Chris Reeve, and on every level that is wrong.

Well, as long as your personal opinion justifies everything...

as if yours does?

I'll say it again, Christopher Reeve's performance in Superman is dead on perfect, my opinion, that is also 100% fact. He gives as sure and as true a performance as could possibly be imagined. Your personal opinion of his performance was wrong, and evil.

If only there had been a performance in LC that was half as good as Reeve, sadly there was not.

No more wrong than Williams Last Crusade score being uninspired.

Justin

as if yours does?

Huh? I validate this thread, disagree as I may with it. I actually defended it up above, Joe. It is you who found a thread pointless just because you disagreed with it.

wrong Justin, Williams score for LC isn't nearly as good a score as Reeve's performance of Superman/Clark is a great performance.

next.

wrong Justin, Williams score for LC isn't nearly as good a score as Reeve's performance of Superman/Clark is a great performance.

That's like comparing the hood of a car to a sandwhich. ;)

Justin

as if yours does?

Huh? I validate this thread, disagree as I may with it. I actually defended it up above, Joe. It is you who found a thread pointless just because you disagreed with it.

Look Ross, I am not looking for validation, I don't need it, I discounted your thread based on the central premise that Reeve's was wrong for the role. It did not invalidate the thread for you, or any who agreed with you.

this thread is my opinion, and I posted it knowing that 8 to 9 out of 10 would disagree.

Sometimes its a burden knowing that so many can be wrong on something, and not have a clue they are. LOL

That's like comparing the hood of a car to a sandwhich. ;)

Justin

Wait Justin, didn't you just make a comparison about one argument to another, and now you say to do so is like comparing a hood to a sandwich.?????????? Talk about putting the Justin in Justinfication.