The James Bond Theme: Public Opinion!

Who can more rightfully claim it as HIS theme?  

25 members have voted

1. 1.

• John Barry (specify)
    • Monty Norman (specify)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Monty Markham may have written it, John Barry gave it life, but it took Marvin Hamlish to give it the real kick it needed.

Joe, listening to Bond 77. Disco will never die.

action

but it took Marvin Hamlish to give it the real kick it needed.  

reaction

You must be joking!  

I love Bond 77

Marc, Bond 77 is a lot of fun and I hope they will someday release the version composed for the Ski chase and skydive scene.

But I do not think Hamlish really added anything to the theme, he just did is own arrangement on it.

I'm sorry, what is Bond 77? Is it just another name for TSWLM, or am I missing something here?

I really don't like the style Hamlish chose for this film, although I think Conti's FYEO is worse (Serra's GoldenEye eclipses them all in pure badness, but we already knew that).

I think Think Barry did arrange it differently so many times he surely knows it by heart and Norman may not even be able to hum it...

And i read that Dr No had just 'tropical' mood/ backbroung music, so i think that Barry did create the bond sound, making the theme fit in it (on the contrary of norman, since the theme is not tropical looking...)

And in answer to the poll: I think it was something of a collaborative effort.

Exactly. It is one of those wonderful freakish moments when two minds created something that neither could have done individually. Monty Norman was inspired when he came up with the melody, but it took the genius of John Barry to realize it's potantial. In all fairness to John Barry I feel the theme should be credited to Norman/Barry.

However, I will always defend Hamlish's great score for The Spy Who Loved Me! It's perfect for the film, and has a few gorgeous moments (the piano comes in as the scene switches to Bond and XXX on the boat. Mmmmm lovely).

First of all... It is Marvin Hamlisch... Sorry, but mis-spelling names bugs the hell out of me.

Secondly, I feel like Monty Norman might have written some kind of a melody line, perhaps the basic guitar riff, I don't know. But I truly believe that it was John Barry that really "completed" the theme with his terrific arrangments and orchestrations...

Much the same way that Giorgio Moroder "composed" the music to many films in the 80s, that were actually completed by the likes of Sylvester Levay and Harold Faltermeyer.

BKL

PS: Bond 77 is my favourite of the non-Barry arrangments of the Bond theme... Anyone who doesn't get this, just don't know how to par-tay!!!

Secondly, I feel like Monty Norman might have written some kind of a melody line, perhaps the basic guitar riff, I don't know.

I think the guitar riff part is the only thing he wrote.

It is the only melody that can be heard in his score for Dr. No, i think.

John Barry. Norman may have written some melody, but didn't he for one compose it for another film or thing first? Anyhow, it's the arrangement and orchestration that does it in the Bond theme.

I know you said none of this "legal nonsense", but I still back Norman. Barry went to court TWICE, and lost both times. In each trial, the exact history of the theme, and the musical details of who composed what, were gone over in excruciating detail. Barry lost. Norman composed it.

However, obviously, Barry's arrangements are far superior.

Actually, Barry lost because everyone relevant who was involved with the scoring of Dr. No is no longer alive.

Neither Norman's or Barry's version of events can be proven in a court of Law anymore, so Norman's credit for the theme was more or less maintained by default.

• 3 years later...
And in answer to the poll: I think it was something of a collaborative effort.

Exactly. It is one of those wonderful freakish moments when two minds created something that neither could have done individually. Monty Norman was inspired when he came up with the melody, but it took the genius of John Barry to realize it's potantial. In all fairness to John Barry I feel the theme should be credited to Norman/Barry.

This encapsulates my view precisely. But, then, what do I know...

When it comes to 007, musically it's definitely Barry, as he was the one who gave the franchise its definite sound and musical language, into which all other future 007 composers have at least dabbled.

I think it was a joint effort that needed both of them, but if Norman did indeed write the primary theme that Barry used as the base for his, then Norman does have a bit more right to claim it.