The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I was one of those that grew up with the late Tom Baker stories, and I wanted to BE Peter Davison when I was littler....Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy weren't helped by some dumb stories (it never really got any better than Tom Baker and the Genesis of the Daleks, story-wise....though Colin Baker had a few good'uns to chew on....)

And so, 16 years have passed since the good Doctor and Ace went off for that cup of tea, and in a little under 24 hours a new series starts......finally.......

.....not to discard the Paul McGann show, but it just wasn't Dr Who.....not really.....half human, huh?......though Eric Roberts made a good Master (not in Roger Delgado's league though.....)

So - 16 years' wait are almost at an end - I can only hope it was worth it all, but by the look of the trailers, boy, am I in for a treat for the next few Saturday nights at 7pm......

Greg - who feels that we should move our living-room around so that there is room to hide behind the sofa.....

doc_04_scarf.gif

hidesbehindsofa.gif

Have I truly found the one person in the known universe who has never heard of Doctor Who? Daleks? Cybermen???

Classic line:

"Hello, I'm the Doctor...."

"Doctor....who?"

"Quite....."

Greg - who is feeling all alone in this thread - surely there must be other fans out there!! Rescue me!

I'm very upset that a deal hasn't been reached for the new series to be shown in the US yet. Why can't they just put it on BBC America for censored sake?

Enjoy, Greg, and I'm looking forward to hearing how good it is. :P

Who?
Huh?
What?

Reading Neil's posts in this thread, the chorus of "My name is" by Eminem comes into my mind...

Hi! My name is.. (what?)

My name is.. {scratches} Slim Shady

Hi! My name is.. (huh?)

My name is.. {scratches} Slim Shady

LOL Way to go Neil!!

Who?

Neil

Neil...

Dr Who is like TOS for the English, only far more successfull, since it did't get pulled after 3 years.

It's has a huge worldwide fanbase with a dedication thar rivals that of any Trekkie geek.

It also has a very cool theme.

It also has a very cool theme.

Abso-flamin-lutely.....and they've kept the sting......

Greg - who feels that this thread is going downhill fast, but who is nevertheless looking forward to the show.....less than 7 hours to go.....

I'm very upset that a deal hasn't been reached for the new series to be shown in the US yet. Why can't they just put it on BBC America for  censored  sake?

Enjoy, Greg, and I'm looking forward to hearing how good it is.  :mrgreen:

I promise not to post any spoilers - hell, most of the god stuff is already well-known (returns of the Autons, the Daleks etc etc.....), but if you want a sneak peak check out the trailers.....

Greg - less than 6 hours.....

infinity.gif

Mirko, stop killing Neil's joke.

He thrives on killing my jokes. Think of some on your own!

Neil - who loves the Dr. Who theme but can't stand the show

Aha! So you ARE stealing his jokes????? Caught you!

Dr Who theme is a classic, though the version used for the Peter Davison era was the best in my opinion.....also the re-arranged version for the "Death Comes to Time" Radio drama was great.....

I think it's just one of those shows you either love or hate...there is no middle ground of being able to tolerate it if it is the only thing on.....certainly there are pleny of episodes that I've seen of it that I would rather have had dental work done for that half-hour....but hopefully with today's production values, Christopher Ecclestone as the good Doctor, and writers/directors/producers with an affection for the original show, this new production should be dynamite......the only thing I just can't see is Billie Piper as the companion.....but I hope my mind is changed.....

Greg - who has less than 2 hours to wait now....

I've always found it's utter bizarre storytelling very off putting, ever since I was a kid. I just couldn't warm up to it. The theme is really cool though. I listened to it again today.

Neil

It wasn't always like that....see if you can rent out what many consider to be the ultimate Doctor Who story....I mentioned it earlier - Genesis of the Daleks with Tom Baker.....read the analysis here.....sci-fi writing at it's best.....and way, way better than 95% of the stories that came after it......

Greg - who is probably onto a loser trying to convert Neil into a Whovian, but who still thinks it is a (mostly) cool show.....

........53 minutes left..........

I remember Genesis of the Daleks. The story was intersting but I still can't get over the IMO horrible co-stars that are always in every Doctor Who show.

Justin

OK just saw it.

I have never seen an episode of the earlier versions before, so I cannot offer any comparison, but this was fun.

Tongue in cheek and yet intelligent, Rose looks like an interesting character, with a cluts mother and a useless boyfriend.

Eccleston is charismatic and funny, and looks right for this kinda material, since it has to be played straight on a fundermental level.

Special effects were pretty good, not great but good.

Nice modern touches were the Internet Conspiracy Theorist and the fact that Rose was unable to reconize a Police Call Box.

If there was a problem with it it might be that things happened fast and not a lot is explained. (though since this is the continuation of a 26 year old series you can forgive the producers for not spelling out everything)

All in all it dores what a pilot or a first episode is supposed to do, it sets up the characters and raises interest.

I think I will be watching this, it has the wonderfull "englishness" about it, reminiscent of shows like The Avengers.

In most American Sci-Fi series garbage containers are simply not threatening objects. :mrgreen:

OK just saw it.

I have never seen an episode of the earlier versions before, so I cannot offer any comparison, but this was fun.

Tongue in cheek and yet intelligent, Rose looks like an interesting character, with a cluts mother and a useless boyfriend.

Eccleston is charismatic and funny, and looks right for this kinda material, since it has to be played straight on a fundermental level.

Special effects were pretty good, not great but good.

Nice modern touches were the Internet Conspiracy Theorist and the fact that Rose was unable to reconize a Police Call Box.

If there was a problem with it it might be that things happened fast and not a lot is explained. (though since this is the continuation of a 26 year old series you can forgive the producers for not spelling out everything)

All in all it dores what a pilot or a first episode is supposed to do, it sets up the characters and raises interest.

I think I will be watching this, it has the wonderfull "englishness" about it, reminiscent of shows like The Avengers.  

In most American Sci-Fi series garbage containers are simply not threatening objects. :mrgreen:

Steef - couldn't have said it better myself.....you summed up my thoughts nicely......and that's from someone who WAS a fan all those years ago.....when the Paul McGann movie happended, I coudn't help but feel that it wasn't really Dr Who.....this time, oh yes, he's back......

As for the Garbage Containers (or "Wheely-bins" as us stiff-assed brits call them!), there is a nod there to two much earlier stories - the Nestene Consciousness has appeared before, back in Jon Pertwee's days (in fact, I think it was his very first story.....) - nice that they put stuff in there for us long-time fans!

Naturally.

This new series is perhaps how Star Trek should be handled, give it a rest for a decade or so, then let a new generation who grew up with the series and know and respects it's qualities and singularities.

BTW, was not very impressed by the music, the redone theme was good (though I liked the older version with it's prime evil synth more). But the music in the episode was not very intersting, it neither added or subtracted to the episode.

How was the quality of music on the old series?

BTW, was not very impressed by the music, the redone theme was good (though I liked the older version with it's prime evil synth more). But the music in the episode was not very intersting, it neither added or subtracted to the episode.

How was the quality of music on the old series?

I agree to an extent - perhaps I expected something a little more subtle (the music in the "Old" series was mostly re-cycled from episode to episode, year upon year, but it had a distinct sound to it that was well-used on occasion - Tom Baker's story "State of Decay" had a great soundtrack....).....having said that though, the music for this new series echoed the earlier Sylvester McCoy outings (especially Delta and the Bannermen).......and they kept the "Sting" for this new series.....got their priorities right!!

Greg - who will not be rushing out to buy the inevitable OST CD, unless it becomes the only source of the new theme music......

I have never watched any doctor who before, but this made me almost sick. It was poorly acted, with Shite special effects (or lack of) and ridiculous story line and just stupid unbelievable characters. It suxx0red! :mrgreen:

*toddles off*

I can't believe it! Everyone has seen this except me! :thumbup:(. I grew up with this show as a kid. I Started watching in 1974 with the last few Pertwee stories. Of course Tom Baker is my fave. To me seasons 12-14 were the absolute highlight of the show. Seeds of Doom is my personal favourite serial, but Genesis is also terrific. I'm waiting for someone to send me the DVD of Rose so I'll be able to join in a little more knowledgeably with this thread. I can't wait to see it. I hear the episode did well in England ratings-wise. It got about 44% of the viewing public at the time it was shown. Not bad at all. 10 million viewers. That's about what the show got in its heyday. Definitely promising.

Yes - it was a ratings hit in the UK, despite a sound gaff which spoilt the first few minutes (the apprently didn't turn the live microphones off from the previous show - donkeys!!) My brother, who works for the BBC Parliament channel, said that everyone suddenly went sick on Saturday afternoon.....I wonder why!!!! It's well worth waiting for.....rumours are that it should be scheduled for broadcast in the US around the end of April/beginning of May......

Didn't David Arnold rework the theme at a certain moment? For some audio series of Dr Who? I was never quite sure though - anybody?

From Big Finish's website (they are carrying on Dr Who stories starring some of the oiginal actors but in an audio capacity only)

"Recently we had very constructive talks with Dominic Glynn and Keff McCulloch which has enabled us to secure the rights to using their versions on the relevant adventures. Thus, from 2003 onwards, Fifth Doctor stories will utilise the Peter Howell arrangement, stories set within the Sixth Doctor's first full season will use the Howell variation and then annything set during/post the Trial season will use Dominic's. And for the Seventh Doctor adventures (and those set as a side-step during the Virgin New Adventures run) we use Keff's. For the 8th Dotor series, it seemed a fun idea to create our own unique version and thus, thanks to Mark Gatiss, we were able to work with David Arnold in between Bond movies, to produce a quite exciting version that can be found, reworked by Alistair Lock on the first run of 8th Doctor plays, and re-edited by Davy Darlington on the second run. David Arnold's full, untouched mix appears on the Music From The Eighth Doctor Audios double CD."

Greg - who did not know this until today and now wants to hear it!!!

Neil - who loves the Dr. Who theme but can't stand the show

Indeed.

Justin - Who watched Dr. Who as a young child.

:devil::)ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Joe, who watched Dr. Who as a young man.

The theme was very cool, and I loved the Five Doctors episode, can't decide if Tom Baker or John Pertwee was my favorite, but I really like Patrick and Colin, Sylvester got a bad rap I think.

Joe 2, who wants a TARDIS.

The theme was very cool, and I loved the Five Doctors episode, can't decide if Tom Baker or John Pertwee was my favorite, but I really like Patrick and Colin, Sylvester got a bad rap I think.

I enjoyed Sylvester McCoys stuff.....Remembrance of the Daleks was a classic - but the budget constraints were really showing and the quality writing appeared to be the first thing to go sadly....

I loved The Five Doctors too.....which is quite odd when you consider that 2 of the didn't appear in it at all!! Tom Baker's scenes were taken from the unfinshed "Shada" story as he wasn't available to appear....and William Hartnell had passed away so a double, Richard Hurndall, impersonated him (quite well, I though...)...

Oh yeah...but he's a statue actually...

Well, I am a statue now. But I can vaguely recall the days when I was a freaky blue kid full of hopes and dreams and glad to be replied to by anyone on this board. Of course, with the difference that I did know when to stop the replying to the ones who replied me. Not with Stefancos, of course - He Who Now is My Lord would jest me and drive me insane, and he barely had to move a single muscle to achieve this. When I realized I was nothing but just one more newcomer to him, I turned bitter and grew indifferent to him. But now, through his endless quoting 80's films and sci-fi series, I have seen the light and appreciated the god-like status of this poster, whom I'd be glad to call my friend. Only I can't. I am not worthy. It is enough that he lit a candle for me.

Embrace your future, Tommyjohnson. Mightier things than a *sigh* Homer dressed as Indy have turned to stone and you shall be no exception. The Lord Stefancos' power knows no limits.

5 Doctors was a lot of fun, although it contained the single most embarrasing effect in the entire series IMO. The moment where Sarah is supposed to be hanging off the edge of a cliff, and it just looks like what it is: Sarah lying on a gentle incline and screaming her heart out. How WILL Sarah get out of this one??? :devil:

Sylvester McCoy does get a bad rap. They started to go a wonderful direction with the character, bringing the mystery back and making him darker. The book series Virgin's Doctor Who: The New Adventures (sadly now long out of print) continued with what the plan for the series was before the cancellation. The Doctor became cold and calcualting, willing to sacrifice his pawns in his galactic chess game. It was really great stuff.

I've also always had a soft spot for The Five Doctors. The story works very well considering what a disaster it could have been, and it's just plain cool to see so many Doctors interacting with each other. I also recommend Pertwee's The Three Doctors. It's not as good as Five, but the interplay between Pertwee and Patrick Troughton is priceless.

John- who enjoys all eras of Who, even the black and white 60s.

Sylvester McCoy does get a bad rap. They started to go a wonderful direction with the character, bringing the mystery back and making him darker. The book series Virgin's Doctor Who: The New Adventures (sadly now long out of print) continued with what the plan for the series was before the cancellation. The Doctor became cold and calcualting, willing to sacrifice his pawns in his galactic chess game. It was really great stuff.

Yes - there were some things hinted at in McCoy's stories that never got a chance to be explained properly - references to him being Merlin, Lady Paynfort's line in Silver Nemesis ("Doctor - I know your secrets, how would you like me to tell the world exactly who and what you really are?" - or words to that effect as the Doctor suddenly starts looking very, very concerned......).....this was partly carried on in the Radio Adventure "Death Comes to Time", but never fully resolved....it did, however, give us a startling revelaton about 2 of his companions (one from the TV series and one invented just for that show....Antimony....) which gave us a clue or two.... :|

I also enjoyed the Three Doctors story - and thought it was an important one as far as one or two story arcs were concerned.....and Pertwee and Troughton are great together...!

Well - it's official - Doctor Who has been commisioned for another series, to be produced by the same company and with Russell T Davies in charge again......but Christopher Ecclestone will NOT be returning as the good Doctor again.....apparently the prduction company are in talks with David Tennant to take the helm of the Tardis for the second season of this new series....

I can't help but feel a little disappointed....I like Ecclestone, but he has backed out for fear of being typecast (??).

Well - episode 2 has now broadcast and I have some thoughts.....

It was well structured, wih better writing and effects than the Pilot episode, but at one point towards the end of the episode I think even the director was confused with what was supposed to be going on.....those fans and the treee.....

Also - there were one too many forays into blindingly obvious attempts at irony - the iPod was an unnecessary (though quite funny) gag that detracted from the general atmosphere.....

All in all though, I can't wait for episode 3.....

I don't like the casting. The new doctor is some young punk. The doctor should be played by an older wiser looking person. At least he copies Tom Bakers acting style.

The episode was not anything that great, but then, wasn't bad, so the series has a chance.