A big thank you to GL

Morlock

With all the bashing Lucas gets, I feel I must say at least this:

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to him. He has enriched my life in a way no other artist ever has. His story for the Star Wars saga is one of the greatest stories I've ever heard, and this past week, I've thought of nothing else but the greatness of this story. We live in an age so lacking a real vision to create a world from scratch (with many inspirations, sure, but still), that I feel so thankful that, despite the mixed reactions the prequel trilogy has drawn from me, the world, characters, story, music, and spirit still exists.

Just to step back a moment. A bad director, a bad writer, a less than perfect collaborator, but one hell of a story maker. No matter how bad he messed up in RoTS, just my love for his story gave me renewed hope for the next scene, and the scene after that. Otherwise, I may very well have came out with the same reaction Neil had.

P.S. Kudos to JW too for his scores. ;)

Morlock- who has a feeling Neil will vomit when he sees this thread, despite the fact that he might agree with some of it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas has created quite a universe, indeed.

Universes, in fact: the rich fictional ones of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and everything that came along-- ILM, Skywalker Sound, Pixar, ...

He's quite imaginative, indeed-- though maybe not the perfect storyteller, like C3-PO, when you get down to the details.

His creations also inspired hours of great music.

Thanks and congratulations are deserved, indeed.

;)

I watched the Revenge of the Sith last Saturday and loved it! Went to two other screenings that day and realized what a great movie it is. In this point I must admit I think this third episode puts the first two to shame.

As for the score --and I wish I would find more time to discuss it here-- I find it just plain brilliant from start to end. I do not own the soundtrack yet, but judged by hearing it in the movie, all the new themes are so good that they match the old great ones. The "sad" motif played a couple times there is as good as the Force Theme and I tell you the Force theme has been my favorite Star Wars theme. The violin solo is as if a cut-off from some heavy dramatic scene in a war movie, and it fits perfectly. The new theme heard largely during the final battle is better than Duel of the Fates. I just cannot find words. I am enjoying this kind of music from Williams most above all else. I have not been this pleased with a score since 93.

I am truly loving this latest Williams work. Williams Walton would love this as well I believe. :-) And I am glad the choir stuff written for this film is huger and much better than that of LOTR movies. I was already beginning to fear JW got beaten by Shore as for the writing for the choir, but Episode III put my worries away.

I cannot wait for the War of the Worlds….

Roman.-)

Star Wars saga is one of the greatest stories I've ever heard

Really? Personally i dont think the themes of the Star Wars stories are anything that original or groundbreaking (apart from their space setting of course). Such stories have been around for a looong looong time (in Alec Guiness voice). But i agree Lucas has contributed so much to the film world, it's technology, and to the enjoyment of Kids (and Adults and those inbetween) everywhere. I only wish he'd bring back his Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, because i've always enjoyed those.

Thanks for welcoming me back, Neil! I'm happy to be here again but still I can't drop by as often as in the past. I should hope for more regular postings in a bout a week or two as I still need to take care of few things in my life. It's been hard times… but some things in my life had been done with and it's sort of okay now.

Roman.-)

Yes, I agree, a big hearty thank you to Guiding Light,

no Soap Opera has enriched my life more than this one, not even All My Children.

Guiding Light gave me a major crush on Reva Shane

dt_gl_act_large_kzimmer_02.jpg

Yes, I agree, a big hearty thank you to Guiding Light,

no Soap Opera has enriched my life more than this one, not even All My Children.

Guiding Light gave me a major crush on Reva Shane

beerchug

I don't want to thank George Lucas. I want to thank Steven Spielberg for introducing John Williams to George Lucas. God only knows what some other composer might have concocted for the saga.

Without Williams' music, the binary sunset is just a boy looking at two suns. Without Williams, the father/son duels in "Empire" and "Jedi" are just two people fighting. Without Williams, the love between Han and Leia is just another movie love story.

And without Williams, I might not even watch the prequels ever again.

Jeff -- thankful also to Morlock for starting this thread

If the new starwars series is half as good as the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, we're in for a treat.

Anyway, George Lucas is one of the biggest influences in my life. Thank you for all the wonderful moments your imagination has granted me.

mm_1.jpg?

But I think Morlock is right. Lucas gets bashed for almost all he does these days, but we shouldn't forget the amzing influence he's had on all of us because of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Not to mention the massive technological achievements his films and his companies have made over the years. Kudos to you, Mr. Lucas.

Welll, I'll be seeing George at a conference in LA this summer, so I'll be sure to pass along all your comments. Frankly, I would just like an autograph.

God only knows what some other composer might have concocted for the saga

You think someone like Jerry Goldsmith would have been so bad? :devil:

I agree. George Lucas kind of jumpstarted kids' imaginations in the late 70s/early 80s. Abstract thought is no longer a problem. I remember one time in grade school, I was like 8, and I was taking a test to be in this smart, advanced class called Quest. They put this test in front of me that consists of circles, squares, triangles, and other shapes and they want me to draw something "creative" with the shapes on the paper. So...with the circle, I draw a little Yoda on top and labeled it "Dagobah." Then I turned like the X into an X-Wing or something. Anyway, I think I turned every shape into something Star Wars or Superman related. Those pencil-pushing, unimaginative, cold, stark killjoys said that wasn't creative enough. Eventually, I guess their guilt caught up with them, because a couple years later I was let into the class.

Back to Lucas...he's definitely cool for actually sacrificing 32 years of his life with this. For as widespread as his influence is from SW, it's almost a public service. He like made...Sesame Street in Space. Only, it's not just for kids.

I'll be sure to pass along all your comments.

Please be sure to pass this on:

u-phukin-suk__171.gif

Neil - with thanks to Steef

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'll be sure to pass along all your comments.

Please be sure to pass this on:

u-phukin-suk__171.gif

Neil - with thanks to Steef

:sigh:

God only knows what some other composer might have concocted for the saga

You think someone like Jerry Goldsmith would have been so bad? :sigh:

Someone like Jerry Goldsmith would not have been around for the grand finale :|

edit: And frankly, at this stage of his career (his last few scores) he could never have pulled off something like Williams's RotS.

What film demanded such a dramatic score from Goldsmith? His last score was to Looney Toons. :sigh:

Justin

What about the many posts here where you declare that you actually don't care for the Star Wars movies, old or new?

I don't think I ever said it quite that extremely, but either way, it took RoTS for the whole story to really entrance me.

Had to be said. Thanks to George Lucas, for igniting our imaginations and letting us share in the world he and master craftsmen, artists and designers created for us. Like myriad others, it was after seeing Star Wars back in late 1977, that my life changed.

Thanks for a life-changing experience. That's what non-SW-fans don't get: SW is an experience. People will do most anything to celebrate it. It's been less than spectacular in the past decade, but now that it's over, we know what will stay with us and what will be nothing more than decoration.

Thanks for ILM, and THX, and Pixar and Avid, and all the magic.

(Not that he's reading this!)

Please don't screw up Indy 4!