FAMILY PLOT track... off-speed?

thx99

Just noticed that the "End Credits & End Titles" track from FAMILY PLOT, as featured on Hip-O Records' Alfred Hitchcock Presents Signatures In Suspense CD, is off-speed compared to the DVD. That is, of course, assuming that the CD recording is the same as the one featured in the film.

IIRC, the Varese and Silva re-recordings are more in line with the film version, speed-wise.

I haven't figured out how much it is off-speed, yet. But's it's plainly obvious, especially in the ending female choral sections.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a re-recording then this topic is pointless.

Yes, of course it would be, but as I recall, the track featured on the Hip-O CD is stated in the liner notes as being a premiere release from the original tracks. Granted, that information could be incorrect, but I'm going on the assumption that it's accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to look into this speed discrepancy further and have determined that the track on the Hip-O CD is indeed the same recording (expanded) as heard in the film, and it is definitely off-speed. After reviewing it in more detail, I applied a +0.751 semitone pitch shift (+4.433%) in Sound Forge, and the results sounds pretty spot on!

The pitch also sounds like a match with the Varese rerecording, despite its rather hurried pace.

Just an FYI for anyone interested!

Is this the same recording on the Witches of Eastwick boot?

I have no idea as I do not own the Witches boot.

If it sounds off-pitch compared to the Silva and Varese rerecordings of the End Titles, then it probably is the same recording as the Hip-O track.

Otherwise, it could just be either the Silva or Varese rerecording.

The movie may not be an accurate reference because music is sometimes slowed down or sped up as well as edited. The opening titles to Superman are sped up, but heard properly on the album. Even recently in ROTS, some of the music was pitch shifted in the movie when compared to the album.

Neil

The movie may not be an accurate reference because music is sometimes slowed down or sped up as well as edited.  The opening titles to Superman are sped up, but heard properly on the album.  Even recently in ROTS, some of the music was pitch shifted in the movie when compared to the album.

Great points, Neil! But I also compared my speed-adjusted version with the Varese rerecording and it matches in pitch. Granted, that's not a perfect reference either, but until a full CD release of the score becomes a reality, the DVD and various rerecordings are the best I have to go on.

In any case, the speed-adjusted version sounds 10 times better than the raw CD track! IMO, of course.