How did you fall in love with film music?

BurgaFlippinMan

Just wondering, how did you guys get into this in the first place? For me, well, I cant remember a time when I HAD NOT watched the original SW trilogy (I was after all, born in 1988). Naturally, I fell in love with the music and JW was the first musician I ever knew. The rest, is history. :angry:

PS: was the low piano hits representing the AT-ATs in Battle of Hoth ever used on any version of the film? Dont know why, but I have such vivid childhood memories of it despite owning the OST (and hence listening to the track minus the visuals) for hte first time only a few years ago. I thought it was excised in the SE but then when I got my hands on the TR47 rips of the O-OT LDs, it still wasnt there. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me definitely began with Star Trek since I never grew up on the OT thearatical editions. Born in 81. My first CD purchase was Horner's Star Trek III The Search For Spock in Junior High.

Infact taking band in Junior High helped me love film orchestra music even more. Ever since then it's just been nothing but love for film orchestra music. :)

For me it was probably hearing the opening to "Surprise Attack" for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I just thought it sounded so cool...

That was the first time I noticed and liked film music.

What really got me to make it a permanent love was the Klingon Battle in The Motion Picture.

Yoda's theme end credits rendition in The Empire Strikes Back was the beginning. It was my salvation... who knows what music I would hear nowadays. It has defined my personality too.

I can't be grateful enough to John Williams.

Two words...

Kola Ratama.

From there I bought The Lost World: Jurassic Park (my first score) Followed by Star Trek: First Contact.

The rest...well you see it before you.

Justin

By the way it's properly spelt..

Korah Rahtamah

The full Duel Of The Fate Lyrics:

Korah Matah Korah Rahtahmah

Korah Rahtamah Yoodhah Korah

Korah Syahdho Rahtahmah Daanyah

Korah Keelah Daanyah  

Nyohah Keelah Korah Rahtahmah

Syadho Keelah Korah Rahtahmah

Korah Daanyah Korah Rahtahmah

Korah  

Korah  

I guess I would have to say that I fell in love with film music when I was only 7 years old. That was when I first saw Jurassic Park. I loved the theme for the film and I still consider it the best complete JW score (his best piece is "The Imperial March"). I remember when my dad first hooked up our surround sound. He put in JP and fast forwarded to the end credits. I heard that beautiful theme all the way upstairs in my room. What a great first way to test out your new surround sound, eh?

I remember when I was very young - probably around 5 or 6 - and "Home Alone" had recently been released in theatres (either that year or maybe a year before). My parents and I were watching JW and the Boston Pops on tv, and the only thing I remember was when they started doing "Somewhere in my Memory," and I looked at my mom instantly, smiling, and let out a slight gasp, as I recognized the piece. She smiled back at me and said, "Yeah, and [pointing to JW] he wrote that!" My eyes widened; I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Not to say that "Home Alone" was the score that got me involved in film music (although I do think that it's a good score), I think the fact that someone actually wrote that music was what intrigued me the most.

A JW-themed marching band show in 10th grade. I went out afterwards and bought me a Williams compilation, and the rest is history.

Ray Barnsbury-who's sure his ascent (descent?) into film scores was greatly spurred by this board

It was a constant development since I was a little kid since I was always exposed to movies. But it was really in 1996 when I was 11-years-old when I saw Independence Day that I became a real film score junkie. It was also the first soundtrack I ever bought.

When I saw Star Wars in 1977 I was only 10 (no "old fart" jokes please) but I never really heard the music in films until late 1981 when I saw a ceratain movie called

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

That was it for me. I was hooked. Soon afterwards I needed another fix so my sister gave me the cassette to Flash Gordon but I couldn't get enough. I needed more, badly. Then I lost it completely when I found cassette number 2 of the two cassette Star Wars soundtrack. I haven't really tried to quit. I think it would be too hard and would no survive if I went "cold turkey". I gotta have my music.

The Jaws theme for me. I can't remember when I first heard it, but I fell in love with it. My parents said that I used to play that on the piano for 10 mins at a time (it drove them pretty crazy).

By the way it's properly spelt..

Korah Rahtamah  

The full Duel Of The Fate Lyrics:

Korah Rahtamah Yoodhah Korah

Korah Syahdho Rahtahmah Daanyah

Korah Keelah Daanyah  

Korah  

Korah  

Every time DotF lyrics come up I cannot be silent. The way they are presented irks me to no end. Why couldn't the actual Sanskrit lyrics be printed. These are only phonetic lyrics for the choir. It first of all should be ghorah("dreadful, horrifying" not korah. It would be a mind busting to attempt to decipher what the actual Sanskrit text would be and you would need a good dictionary. I have only a passing knowledge (one basic course) of the language and it is a difficult one (still I got to flaunt with my Sanskrit skills even they are non existent :mrgreen: ). But any way back to the topic.

For me it was the Jurassic Park. Journey to the Island swept me away. And as many here have said the rest is history. Other scores followed and JW seemed to have scored all my favorite movies.

Kola Ratama.

Your sanskrit is not very good, Justin :roll:

nag_ah.pngnag_m.pngnag_a.pngnag_t.pngnag_a.pngnag_r.pngnag_ah.pngnag_r.pngnag_o.pngnag_k.png

What ever have you written here? Is that supposed to be DotF lyrics? Well they are not.

The above textreads transliterated approximately:

Bhuhmataar

Bhuhraîk

What the meaning is I cannot say.

Star Wars did it for me. The tapes from the 1977 edition (look at my signature) were already at home when I was born. The rest, well you can imagine.

Kola Ratama.

nag_ah.pngnag_m.pngnag_a.pngnag_t.pngnag_a.pngnag_r.pngnag_ah.pngnag_r.pngnag_o.pngnag_k.png

What ever have you written here? Is that supposed to be DotF lyrics? Well they are not.

Bhuhmataar

Bhuhraîk

LOL I was waiting for your answer, Incanus. I copied and pasted every letter, though I knew it would be wrong.

Kola Ratama.

Bhuhmataar

Bhuhraîk

LOL I was waiting for your answer, Incanus. I copied and pasted every letter, though I knew it would be wrong.

Nice of you to give something to work on and refresh my memories of the Devanagari letters! Thanks!

And I should have guessed this was a set up just for me LOL!

You know I can't let these linguistic points go without furious comments.

I was already a Star Wars fan....

Already had SW and ROTJ soundtracks....

Not a major JW fan; loved his music all my life though...

Bought ESB Gerhardt recording....

Listened to Training of a Jedi Knight and Yoda's Theme....Fell in love! THAT was the knockout-punch!

Have a been a collector and HUGE, HUGE fan ever since.

The Jaws theme for me. I can't remember when I first heard it, but I fell in love with it. My parents said that I used to play that on the piano for 10 mins at a time (it drove them pretty crazy).

Jeez... you could have at least learnt something with a few more notes to endlessly repeat lol...

Two words... STAR WARS!!!

I always loved the music for the Star Wars OT, and the cue I liked the most was "The Imperial March". So (probably around 1997) my cousin gave me a copy of Zubin Mehta's re-recording with the LA Philarmonic Orchestra. I was a bit disappointed, because the title "Star Wars", printed on the cover, only referred to what is now called "A New Hope", so... "The Imperial March" wasn't in it! (though it featured a "Suite" that I will later discover to come from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"...)

At that point I knew a little more about the Star Wars score, until in 2002 I was literally blown away by a choral track the video of which I played over and over again on my DVD reader... Yes, I'm talking about "Duel of the Fates". I went to buy the soundtrack CD (the original one, I knew nothing about a Ultimate Edition at that time) a few months before Episode II opened worldwide. By that time I had already learned by heart many of the cues featured on the CD (mostly "Duel of the Fates" and "Anakin's Theme", the ones I was most anxious to listen to), so I was really, REALLY shocked to hear so many identical cues in TPM and AotC (i.e. the tracked music in the arena sequence). That is why that summer I bought directly the OT albums (which meant to finally have "The Imperial March"), thus skipping "Attack of the Clones".

After that, I began listening first to more music by John Williams, then to more film music, then... here I am!

I was 10 years old. Directly after I saw ESB in my local city cinema, I run right away to the next record shop and bought the score LP AND the black double-LP of 'Star Wars'.

A great and magical world opend up for me and since then I listen to filmmusic and because of the experience of the 'Star wars" scores I begun to listen to all kind of 'classical music' also.

But JW and his music will always have a special place in my heart.

I feel in love with film music after my friend from band let me borrow the JP soundtrack my freshman year of high school (1996). I literally listened to the sound track like 40 times over the course of the weekend when I had it. I was really surprised I liked it because I had seen plenty of movies up to that point and never even gave a thought to the music in them, unless they were musical movies. Pretty much the rest is history and this mb helps to continue my thirst for more information about film music. Thanks!

Star Wars and Star Trek - The Motion Picture and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My dad owned the Star Wars double LP set. He bought me TMP when I was 3 and Raiders when when I turned 6.

Neil

"Schindler's List" and "Kid Stuff: An Afternoon at the Movies - Starrig John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra."

In 1993, "Kid Stuff" had all the popular JW main titles and concert arrangements, a perfect primer for someone who thought the music in Schindler's List was heartbreaking and wanted to know more about this composer. I was shocked to know that many of my favorite movies had scores composed by Williams. And pleased to kow there was music better than the devolving state of pop music.

- From watching a VHS dub of the 1984 CTV telecast of Star Wars.

- Sick and at home from kindergarten, listening to a library copy of the

Empire Strikes Back double LP - dressed up as Darth Vader... using an Optimus Prime mask.

- Listening to Erich Kunzel's version of the Throne Room on Telarc's Time Warp.

Hook. I remember watching this at the cinema in early 1992, as part of a friend's birthday celebrations. We both hated the film, and I didn't envy the fact that he was forced to endure it again the next day.

The music left a lasting impression, although for various reasons I didn't purchase a legitimate copy of this score for twelve years.

I think it was really a gradual, subtle process that started with my watching the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies and enjoying the music in them (and to think that I began thinking the music when Indy is getting out of the temple in Raiders didn't sound that great! My Dad was like "What, are you kidding me?" He's not a big fan, but he appreciates the music). I'd hear more and more things in movies--I remember only knowing JW from Star Wars and Indy, and when I heard Journey to the Island when I watched Jurassic Park, I was like "Hey, that's pretty good--I wonder who did the music!" I went and checked it out and I had the attitude of "Hey, it is John Williams! Huh, how about that!" as though he was some kind of small composer or something, and I had that same sort of experience with Hook (although that was after I had really started getting into it).

My first soundtrack was Jurassic Park. My cousin gave it to me two or three years ago (it had been his before, and I now recall him being very enthusiastic about it a number of years ago when I was around five, six, maybe seven, and I didn't really think it was that big a deal--I feel kind of bad about it now...). From there I bought (I think) Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Rocketeer, and Hook (in some order), and I kept going from there.

I never fully appreciated how powerfully film music had affected me until I revisited the original SW trilogy after many years. I loved the films as a kid - then I went through my teens without much of an interest in films - then came back the films again as an adult.

I was stunned to learn I knew pretty much the complete score already. I anticipated cues and hummed along, not just to the thematic material but to underscore too. I couldn't believe I'd be doing that after having gone years without seeing the films.

Upon this realisation, I became more sensitive to film music as I watched films and at the same time began to buy JW's work.

I think I speak for us all when I say that Illayaraja is the real inspiration for our devoted fandom in film music. A true titan, I can't thank him enough.

Tim, who actually became "aware" when he bought Jurassic Park in '93.

How did you fall in love with film music?

When my Dad used to run up to my room when i was 10, drag me out of bed screaming and wailing, drag me by the hair over to the record player, grab my head and hold my face over the record player as it span round and round with some some random movie score on, all the while screaming - "Listen to it you little FUCK...go on....LISTEN...those basoons are IT...they da man. LISTEEEEN". Afterwards i'd look up and say "Yes, i understand it's power now"

Happy Days :pukeface:

Maybe Lost in Space subliminaly for me.I tought those themes were really cool as a kid,but had no idea who this John Williams was.

k.m.

I think I've always loved film music since as far back as I can remember but it wasn't until I bought John Barry's King Kong back in 76 and then Star Wars in 77 that my passion really started to take off.

This is really going to date me but here goes...

The first soundtrack I ever bought was for "A Bridge Too Far" because I was very affected by the film. Stirring stuff, with a secondary sad theme which is a blatant rip-off of "Pavane pour une infante defunte."

But I clearly remember the first time I understood the transforming power of music in film was during "Close Encounters". There is a scene where the married couple (forgive me, I can't remember their fictional names but the man is, of course, Richard Dreyfus) kiss on the deserted road at night. JW accompanies the scene with a sustained high chord on the strings - nothing else. That, for me, had the inspired simplicity of genius - and whenever I'm snogging someone on a street at night it always comes into my head.