The Composer's Thread

Justin

Hey all, as a growing student of music I've always been interested in the members of this site that also play, read, study, and or write music. So I figured we could use our own thread. Here we can discuss musical concepts from quarter notes to perfect double augmented 5th intervals!

Post your music here (providing links to sites with you music and not direct mp3's. Keep our boards clean people! tongue.gif ) Comment on the music. Look for it's strong elements. Suggest diffrent courses of action. Don't just dismiss a piece of music as bad. Suggest styles of music individuals can compose in. Honestly I created this thread as a students helper. If you having trouble in you studies talk about it here!

I suspect there are many members of the board who are interested in music. baaa.gif

Justin - Who'll probably post some of his music later on. wave.gif

Great idea for a thread :mrgreen:

I'm always interested in what fellow composers here write 8O

I'm currently in the process of building a new homepage to host my music (at least what already is presentable of it... some is just bad MIDI), but that will take some time.

Well, here is a sample of my music, a short overture I did for a friend's university project (an interactive internet novel - the overture music was made for a presentation of her story concept, meant to depict the general athmosphere, a woman buying a lonely old manor house, and finding clues to several old legends in there (on legend being of a great African warrior)).

http://www.b-jo.de/ChrA/overture_v3.mp3

(Neil, is it ok to post a direct mp3 link, as I don't have a page where it is linked? The music is 100% mine.)

----

BTW, Marian said it reminds himof 70s Goldsmith - funny, as I don't know any 70s Goldsmith...

I like this thread. I just had my audition for college, so I guess I can go ahead and classify myself as a 'composer'. But I haven't much to show for it....yet.

~Tyler, who's not posting any of his songs at this time :P

I would KILL to upload some of my mp3s so you guys could comment on them - but I don't know how. Anyone willing to (at least temporarily) spot my stuff?

Here is a collection of some of my stuff (compositions and adaptations)... It's mostly aload of unfinished stuff as I start something and get bored and stop pretty quickly, but Meh :P ... Ranging from CRAP to Good :) (imo)

I'm only 16, so I've got lots of time to get better :P

http://www.jcxp.net/jack/compositions/

I would KILL to upload some of my mp3s so you guys could comment on them - but I don't know how. Anyone willing to (at least temporarily) spot my stuff?

Well, if you knew I'd be the next (or a subsequent) John Williams, I guess you'd be more enthusiastic. :mrgreen:

Well, what kind of file sizes (and numbers) are we talking? :(

Chris, who would have some place to host some music for some time, if it isn't too much

Well it's up to you how much space you can permit me to use. I can select two or three solid longer compositions if we're talking 10 MB, but I can select some smaller things and cut some things up if less than that...

Bowie - keen.

Agreed. You've captured Williams' sound in some of those tracks a little tooo well. Are you John Williams?  :wave:

Hehe.. 7M1 and "Star Wars Bay" are direct adaptations of Stuff From Indiana Jones and Star Wars Ep 1.. I just like to sort of see If I can write stuff sometimes really.. The rest is all original Composition. :angry:

ok,

here are some of my compositions I've done in the last five years. just follow the link down there:

http://www.marcelschweder.com/1259435.htm

Many of the tracknames are in german language, but you'll catch it. Just look at the genre/ mood descriptions above each group of tracks.

^Nice! What type of software do you use? It sounds very realistic, especially when compared to my Finale PrintMusic playback.... :P

Also, your main themes are nice and long. One thing I need to work on is making my songs longer, but not too repetitive. But I tend to write fast songs anyways. OK, I'll stop rambling now. 8O

Here are a couple things I've penned in the last while...

Generic Action music

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/132161...heist%20MP3.mp3

Musashi Ballet in progress

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/151085...t%20revised.mp3

My tribute to Goldsmith

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/162611...20Goldsmith.mp3

Herrmann's Ghost (concert work in progress)

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/159818...nns%20Ghost.mp3

Tony69 -

Aurora, LOVE the theme. Nice work! How did the recording go?

Have you heard the theme to "Inside the Actors' Studio" (from TV) written by Angelo Badalamenti? The last part of "Aurora" puts me in the mind of that. A compliment, as I think that is a beautiful piece.

Greta

Jack, what do you know that I don't?  I'm 18, and none of the stuff that I write is of the caliber that you've written, it seems to me.  Do you study scores?  How do you do it?

~Conor

I don't study scores (Although I would Love to), because I find that they are amazingly expensive. All I do is listen to lots of Film Music really. Also, I sit at the piano for at least 4 hours a week and just play "stuff", I basically just improvise film music. :)

I've just started on a piece called "Clockwork". It's for my A-Level music. :) It will probably be quite simple, as I'm limited to 10 instruments and no more than 3 minutes long. I've got a sort of marimba/string serialism motif going on.. I'll post the MP3 when it's finished :eek:

Yeah except for the fact that it has about 0% resemblence to the Star Wars theme

Aw #@($*&@, I can't even do a cheap imitation of Williams. LOL

But it's not an imitation, it's an ORIGINAL piece with ITS OWN merits. Right? Right?!

M. Julliet, are you the composer for an official Playstation 2 videogame? That is exciting to have you in our midst if you are. Actually, it is exciting to have you in our midst even if you aren't because your music is quite impressive. Welcome to the site.

~Conor

I like your Musashi Ballet, Fiery Angel. It is a great piece of music.

Thankyou. It's still a work in progress. I used quite a few different libs on that. SAM Horns/Solo Sessions for the brass, Prime Sounds Session Strings, EWQLSO Silver for winds, HALion String Edition....Glad you enjoyed it!

Well, I've started a new project. I figured I'd write some good old fashioned elevator music! You know that's an up-and-coming genre! The melody is played by a flute, with piano, soft strings, accoustic bass, and percussion also. I've entitled the song "The 7th Floor" because it uses alot of jazzy maj7th chords, and it's an elevator song. Oh so clever!

If only my orchestration skills were as crafty as my titles, lol.

Some of my compositions can be found at http://hopkins.composerarts.com

But here's a few variations of my theme for Dr. Cube from Kaiju Big Battel:

http://hopkins.composerarts.com/audiodownl...0Bad%20Guys.mp3

http://hopkins.composerarts.com/audiodownl...nloads/Cube.mp3

cub.jpg

Hey guys, I just found this online. It is a trailer cut to my music of a DVD coming out which I scored. Its on shelves April 12th.

http://www.kaiju.com/vid_shockingtruth.htm

The music isn't my usual style. Incidentally, if any of you want to take over future scoring projects and cut your teeth with this company, email david@kaiju.com and tell them you are interested (and that I sent you). The drawback is somewhat low pay and strict style types (I got $1500 for a whole DVD score). I did their first 2 DVDs and a few other things for them, but I'm no longer interested in working in that style. However, if you like what you hear in the trailer, and would like to rip off some old "Masked Rider" music and provide some pseudo HipHop score, it might be more up your alley. I pushed the envelope with some actual orchestral style, but they were usually frowny about it.

You guys are so lucky LOL , How do you get projects like these. I would kill to actually score something! ;)

Maybe I'm strange, but that actually rocks! Reminds me of John Barry in places.

I'm glad we have this thread, super idea and a much needed one. Great to see young composers putting their work out there. Kudos to you!

And yes, DO go to Jesse's site and listen to all his music samples. It is really a treat.

Especially the String Quartet No. 1 "Botanical", for a change of pace. Just lovely and a fine performance of it.

Jesse, you are an excellent composer with a natural talent, and I wish you much more continued success. ;)

Looking forward to the "Legend of Afterlore" suite!

Greta

M. Julliet, are you the composer for an official Playstation 2 videogame?  That is exciting to have you in our midst if you are.  Actually, it is exciting to have you in our midst even if you aren't because your music is quite impressive.  Welcome to the site.

~Conor

Thank you Romantic to have taken time to hear my work.

I just did a videogame soundtrack a few time ago. This was a PC/Playstation game based on the caractere of Zorro. I enjoyed to do the job. I am actually working on a french movie. I am not the composer for this project, . I am doing the orchestrations for François PEYRONY, the composer, with a good friend of mine, Jean Philippe BEC. I am also the music production manager.

Wow, these make me feel so... inadequate... I'd usually blame the quality of my compositions on my age, but there are people younger than me who write much better. Oh well, I'll just blame it on my lack of a sample library.

Well, do you play any instrument? That can somewhat make up for the lack of sample library, to an extent (if you compose accordingly).

For this track, I only used MIDI drums and e-bass, and recorded all the strings myself (multiple violin tracks, plus cello and bass via recording with violin and transposing one or two ocatves down (well, doesn't sound exactly real, but it works ;))). And a bit of guitar and horn thrown in.

Helmut and his Plant - Finale

I'd like to describe what the music will underscore, but the director wants the plot kept secret (the film is shot in chapters, and it will be a while until it's finished).

(This is just a small movie made by some amateurs, but they infuse it with a great sense of (practical) humor and funny acting ;))

------------------------

BTW, Laurent, I'm just listening to that LOOOONG demo sample ;) REally good work in there! :)

Yeah, I play the piano, but find it much easier to transcribe music straight into the computer - and some of my best work has come straight from my brain to the keyboard. I don't find it any lesser way of composing - it just comes to me already playing and I simply transcribe it.

And I still want a sample library. ;)

Maybe I'm strange, but that actually rocks! Reminds me of John Barry in places.

LOL. Thanks Saxbabe! I had a lot of fun with that one. Its something I probably wouldn't have done if it wasn't an assignment. But they bought me Quantum Leap Brass for it, which was nice.

Here's the full track:

http://hopkins.composerarts.com/audiodownl...inion_alley.mp3

The main reason I don't want to do more Kaiju music is because they always want me to rip off other music. I never do, so they always feel a little disappointed. Its a little unfulfilling to have people constantly telling me to make it closer to the temp track, while I resist. Exhausting. Plus, they all listen to hip hop, so whenever they hear strings (even if it was in the temp track) they cringe.

@Composer_Fan:

mainly I use a Cubase/Gigastudio combi and lot of orchestral samples like VSL and the older siedlacek libs and some other stuff.

It is working, but I would give my right arm to have a real orchestra to play my stuff. Well, who would not? ;)

Speaking of samples... I have Native Instruments Kontakt Player Gold (for Sibelius 3) and Native Instrtuments Komplete 2 (Kompakt, Kontkat, Intakt, etc..) but this has limited samples. Does anyone know of a sample set with some nice flutes (not solo sort of thing, something that I could use more aggressively). Thanks :)

Oh, I use Sibelius 3 for writing and some sample outputting, and Cubase SX 2 for Final Output, touching up, volume leveling, VST Instruments, etc..

Wow, there are some wonderful pieces that have been posted. It's great to see so many composer's emerging from the JWFan woodwork. bowdown

Anyway, I have a cue here. Try and be forgiving of the horrid synths (at least in comparison to many of cues I've heard.) I wrote this a few months ago. I think it's a fun piece. :)

The Team Fortress March

Justin