Lost

Mr. Breathmask

To continue discussion from here and all other things Lost.

Be aware of SPOILERS!!!

This series is going around the world, and not everyone is up to date with the most recent US episodes.

I just watched the episode Abandoned (I'm downloading new ones, because I can't wait - I've got a few more to go). I'm still in "oh crap" mode. 8O

- Marc

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your "oh crap" mode will seem like an itch in your back once you get to episode 2_11, Marc. Well, once you get to the end of it, that is.

Does anyone else think that, despite the show's best assets are maintained, this second season seems to have a bit less direction than the first one?

*****SPOILER******

After the hatch was opened, Ross, and the tailies joined the main crew, I think the show has indeed lost a little focus, but it's still great drama

Marc, you'll have to remind us what happened on "Abandoned," so we can understand the "oh, crap" thing.

As far as I'm concerned, television series are an acceptable subject for the General Discussion forum.

Marc, you'll have to remind us what happened on "Abandoned," so we can understand the "oh, crap" thing.

If you haven't seen it yet, HERE BE SPOILERS!!!

At the end of the episode, Shannon got shot. She died in Sayid arms. The very last thing we see is Michael and Jin seeing Sawyer again, and Sayid looking at Ana-Lucia with this look that screams "I'm gonna @#$! you up!" The show ended right after Sayid's close-up.

- Marc

Oh man (referring to tonight's episode), next week is going to be interesting

Giacchino's score for the episode was soooo good, loved all of the renditions of Charlie's theme and the comeback of Locke's vibes theme

OK, Marc, now I know which episode you're talking about. That one was pretty amazing. But I'm surprised they haven't pursued it further. Ana Lucia couldn't get off that easily.

I think Locke and Eko are going to become a bit more at odds. Although it may be too soon to tell. After all, Locke has appeared like a bad guy before and then revealed himself to be good. Maybe he just genuinely thought Charlie had gone nuts because of their past together.

I think the season has lost a little bit of it's focus. So much time had to be set aside to tell about the other tail section, and so far, we haven't really seen a reason for their introduction into the show at all. I think other than that it's maintained the same level as season 1, and it's starting to pick up again now that the tailies are fully into the fold. I think there's a reason they're giving us so many character episodes (like last nights being devoted entirely to Charlie and Locke's battling) that'll pay off soon.

Not to mention Jack's line about building an army to take on The Others. That's the coolest thing on this show since the final episode last season.

I agree that Locke and Echo might come to blows eventually since Locke has fancied himself as the guru of the group with some mystical confidence about what the islanf represents (although he's a hyprocrite or the show is just bad with continuity if he didn't stop and think about the weird dreams and behavior of Charlie's before punching him out). Echo seems a little more genuine to me and it really wouldn't be much of a contest if Locke attempted to supercede his authority by a physical confrontation- after all Echo is the only one who has faced the "defensive" black cloud and scared it off. Locke would have been toast had Jack not grabbed a hold of him in the latter part of the last season.

And yes, this is very much off topic insofar as Williams' music is concerned.

I agree that Locke and Echo might come to blows eventually since Locke has fancied himself as the guru of the group with some mystical confidence about what the islanf represents (although he's a hyprocrite or the show is just bad with continuity if he didn't stop and think about the weird dreams and behavior of Charlie's before punching him out).  Echo seems a little more genuine to me and it really wouldn't be much of a contest if Locke attempted to supercede his authority by a physical confrontation- after all Echo is the only one who has faced the "defensive" black cloud and scared it off.  Locke would have been toast had Jack not grabbed a hold of him in the latter part of the last season.

And yes, this is very much off topic insofar as Williams' music is concerned.

Locke did meet up with the monster early in the first season, all we were shown was him staring at it

Later in the season it pulled him into a pit except Jack grabbed Locke before he was engulfed.

still don't know if it would have killed Locke. He was tellling Jack to let him go, putting everything on faith again. Could've died or not.

My daughter got me hooked on Lost. Eko has become one of our favorite characters now. I agree that Locke couldn't physically stand up to Eko, he would get a beatin with the "Jesus Stick" as Charlie put it.

I think Locke's faith could cloud his mind when it comes to the safety of the others. Didn't he find the other statues Charlie had hidden? I missed about 15 mins this past Wednesday. At the end Locke was putting the statues in the safe and changing the combination again. That may have explained why he beat the crap out of him because Charlie lied and said he and Eko had burned the remaining ones in the plane. Locke probably figured he was still using.

By the way, am I the only one who can't help but picture Locke, Jack and Kate running through the jungle when listening to the track "It is not Real", from James Newton Howard's The Village?

As it seems, Michael Giacchino's score for the series is just about to be released on Varese Sarabande. Check their news section for a very odd teaser.

That can be interesting, there were good musical moments on the series.

This show is the only thing I make a point to watch on TV now. Its very cinematic and I think the score contributes to that. Sometimes it seems like there's too many characteres, too many questions, too many plot lines, sub-plot lines but the show manages to juggle it all impressively. I'm waiting for it to spin out of control but hopefully it won't. I'm looking forward to the CD - there's a lot of good stuff that will hopefully make it on to the soundtrack.

- Adam

I just listened to the podcast that features the orchestra "behind the scenes" stuff, and I couldn't help think that one of the themes from Lost sounds like Cinque's theme. The violinist plays it, then immediately after, Michael visits the bassist and he plays it. Obviously this is unintentional, and probably sounds more different when the orchestra plays it, but that's the first thing that popped in my mind.

Tim

I've noticed that, too. That theme is used a lot, especially tbe first season. A lot of the meleodies Giacchino uses are incredibly simplistic in some respects. The piano melody he uses in season 1 several times for a couple of the finales is so simple, I'd swear somebody must have already written it. But its kind of pretty and like a lot of his material, very catchy and hard to get out of your head. He's good at finding very simple but strong, distinct musical ideas to push the drama forward.

- Adam

That piano melody was used about three times in the first season (with some variations on other episodes): once in episode four or so; when Boone's death was announced at the beach and finally when everyone was boarding the plane in a season finale flashback. I agree that the melody is extremely simplistic (you could play with just one finger on the piano) but I find it to convey a lot more emotion that any other "meditating piano music for drama TV". It's beautifully touching, and the true highlight of the whole score, I think.

I love how a lot of the more action-oriented parts are based on dissonance. There was an episode in season two, can't remember which one now, that had Jack and Locke running through the jungle (I think they were going after Michael) and it was purely played on dissonant, frantic strings. And how can one not love the dissonant trumpet playing every time anything at all happens. See blanked example from episode 1.20 below.

KATE: Jack, where are you going?

JACK: To kill John Locke.

Trumpet: Descends with the dissonance.

Yeah the more dissonant passages represent a pretty big chunk of the total music. I hope that gets represented on the soundrack though a little bit would go a long way. I definitely want some of the music from the pilot, especially for when a few of them are scaling the mountain. Too many to mention but I think that piano tune is a highlight as well.

- Adam

• 3 weeks later...
I just listened to the podcast that features the orchestra "behind the scenes" stuff, and I couldn't help think that one of the themes from Lost sounds like Cinque's theme.  The violinist plays it, then immediately after, Michael visits the bassist and he plays it.  Obviously this is unintentional, and probably sounds more different when the orchestra plays it, but that's the first thing that popped in my mind.

Tim

I'm listening to it now, and that is Cinque's theme :devil:

Nice podcast though, I'm very intrigued about the CD release now (anyone here got the 24 soundtrack by Sean Callery? Different stuff but still great).

Wow, I guess they really have to fill in the blanks to get the season finale into mid-May.

-Ross, who thinks there is now show where reruns are more obvious and painful than on Lost.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to reply to a comment by Alex in this thread, but I didn't want to hijack it, so I'll bump this one instead. With the soundtrack coming out tomorrow, it might be of use:

I can deal with just one absurdity but not a pile-up of implausibilities.  

Long live LOST!!

A plausible show if there ever was one. Recent episodes have been interesting, haven't they?

-Ross, who wonders if he should edit his weeks-old post above or if the circumstancies allow him to double-post.

Don't bother editing. These posts are almost a month apart.

Maternity Leave was crazy (in a good way). I was thrilled to see the questions of Claire's whereabouts answered, but by the time it had ended, I had about a dozen new questions. :?

Looking forward to seeing where this season is going to go. I know by the end we'll find out what happened to Walt, but I expect that will just call up a whole bunch of new questions.

Either way, I'm really enjoying this show.

Maternity Leave was crazy (in a good way). I was thrilled to see the questions of Claire's whereabouts answered, but by the time it had ended, I had about a dozen new questions. :?

For me it was the best chapter of the season, and what you said is exactly why. Lost grabbed me last year because it answered questions with new ones, becaus ethe mistery was getting bigger and bigger, everything seemed to be connected but it was hard to imagine how. Maternity Leave reminded me of that, and I loved it.

For me it was the best chapter of the season, and what you said is exactly why. Lost grabbed me last year because it answered questions with new ones, becaus ethe mistery was getting bigger and bigger, everything seemed to be connected but it was hard to imagine how. Maternity Leave reminded me of that, and I loved it.

I agree this was definitely the best of the new season, which has also had quite a few really good episodes. it was good to see Ethan again, but now the intentions of the others are so jumbled, i don't know what to expect, just like its been so long since the last episode I don't know what to expect with tonight's episode, lol.

I saw Raised by Another again yesterday. When Claire dreams she finds a crib in the jungle, there's a mobile over it with Oceanic planes. It's the exact same as the one seen in the Medical Hatch in Maternity Leave.

Hmmm....

- Marc, who will be watching All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues later tonight.

First new episode in 3 weeks tonight.I hate this sparce TV schedual,the tension is lost.

K.M.Who forgot what happened in the last episode

So, I watched All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues, and just like Claire, Charlie has no recollection of what happened out in the jungle (although Claire also forgot about the events between the crash and being taken). Will we ever see what happened? I doubt it was just Ethan who took them. Charlie flat-out says it: "all they wanted was her."

It's cool seeing these episodes now, after having seen Maternity Leave. I wonder if that psychic guy Claire went to see was contacted by the Hanso Foundation.

Just got it, listening right now. It's amazing so far (as expected). I can already see there's at least one track I'd recorded from the DVDs, but I'd expected that too. I'm waiting to hear Locke's walking theme, but it hasn't come up yet.

As a side note, whoever comes up with the track names for Giacchino's albums has out done themselves. There's some pretty clever ones on the disc. I wish everyone put this kind of thought into naming their tracks.

EDIT: Locke's Theme is on the disc, thank goodness. The one cue that I wanted to have that isn't on it is from Exodus Pt 2, just after Jin is told "He'll never be free." Track 26, "Parting Words" comes close enough, though. In fact, I'd say track 26 is the highlight of the album. It's not my favorite theme of the show, but the way the whole piece builds is fantastic.

I will say right now that I do not think that Giacchino's M:I-3 will top this. The producers of Lost give him a tremendous amount of time to play with, like Boone's death, and the full 6 minutes w/o dialogue at the end of the season finale. I don't think he'll get chances like that in a big Hollywood film.

Finally a new episode last night although nothing was accomplished except for one side story.

There are times I feel they are dragging the story on a little too much. My only fear is that the time will come and the ratings will drop as they do with time and they will have to wrap everything up quickly with a lame ending.

well it looks like we will finally get answers next week, with the countdown apparently going to zero, and we'll see wether or not Gale's idea was a trap, the truth, or just a diversion.

Okay, the soundtrack is great, except for two things.

One is major, nay essential! I need the Walkabout clip! I can't believe they left that out of the CD!

So, does anyone know where I can get a good bootleg of it? PM me if you have one to send.

(I know there's a similar one in "Locke'd Out", but I want the original!)

2nd is more minor, but still important. How about the cue in "Whatever the case may be" where Sawyer drops the case from the tree and Kate runs by and grabs it. That is a really cool cue, with the violin going over the percussion.

Oh yeah, and if anyone knows any cues from "Special", that would be cool as well.

The Ghoest-

Better have your questions ready, cause I'm only posting for a limited time!

Thanks, one down, two to go!

beerchug

I PMed Morn. He's been scarce lately though, so I may have to find another outlet. However, I was just about to :) if he sends it.

The Ghoest- Who wasn't really going to bow down before Morn, but he may buy him a beerchug

Last week's episode was a "character development" filler, in which the writers buy themselves some time to set up further plot elements before developing the current plot. It was interesting at least. But is Sun's baby really Jin's? Are they really making it so ambigous so they can justify all the island's "miracles", one by one, in the series finale?

Having listen to the album a few times now, I have two issues:

1) It's missing the cue from the pilot when the camera pans up the mountain. That should have been on the "Hollywood and Vines" track.

2) "I've Got A Plane To Catch", while a fine cue in of itself, totally breaks the mood of the album. I normally don't do this, but I think I'm gonna have to un-check that track on iTunes.

How can you remember certain cues form certain episodes? Have you seen them more than once? I certainly can remember thinking that the music was good, but my memory prevents me from remembering the cues that well!