Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Really wonderful performance, Jwfan2234 - thanks for these links. There are certain moments that I actually find more moving or impactful than in the original, particularly where the trumpets are concerned. Here we get to enjoy some of the punch and bravado that I just find to be a bit lacking in the TFA recordings. And I do like the concert ending, though the way the TFA credits end is just perfection.

And to think I almost didn't bother watching!

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Jabba stuff drags.

Jabba's Palace, Ewoks! Makes it feel like The Muppet Show. And trees!

This is not Star Wars for me and Alex!

I knew you were creeping around your mentor from the off, I'm not daft you know. It's always painfully obvious. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

My men??? You 'aving a laugh?

In all seriousness, when I watched ROTJ last year I was surprised how bored I was by it. For the most part it's quite anemic.

Yeah but mate you watched Skyfall at the cinema seven times. 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

My men??? You 'aving a laugh?

In all seriousness, when I watched ROTJ last year I was surprised how bored I was by it. For the most part it's quite anemic.

Anemic is a good word for it. I don't hate the film - it's elevated by things like the Emperor's presence and the resolution of Vader's story arc. It's also darker than it gets credit for...there are some very bittersweet overtones, especially as Luke loses another mentor and then his own father. All of that stuff works. But the film does lack the vigor and zest you find in its predecessors (and now TFA). It drags. And I never really care as much about the heroes as I do in the first two films.

The movie tends to lose me a bit starting with Dagobah until the point when the (long) final battle starts.  I think the last two times I saw the movie, I drifted off a bit in that section.  So a really good chunk of the movie.  And then the fun battle and the excellent Vader/Emperor/Skywalker ending make up for it, for the most part.

Everything that happens on the forest moon is pretty much a problem. I don't have an issue with Ewoks blot anything like that but Han and Leai's escapades are really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. They need to dhutbdiwbvthe shield purely to give them something to do. The space battle and the lightsaber duel are far more interesting. 

20 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

They need to dhutbdiwbvthe shield purely to give them something to do.

Shut down the shield?

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't even know why he bothered filming part of TFA in IMAX. 

Another avenue they had at their disposal to close in on Avatar's box office.