22 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,2 stars - 12 votes - 7 unfamiliar

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Goldsmith's third best Rambo score.

Rambo: First Blood Part II wins first place from me, and the original second. First Blood does come close to drawing with the winner however.

I don't have time to go into the ins and outs of it right now, but Rambo III is not a score I listen to frequently, especially as I have the superior previous scores to indulge in as more beneficial alternatives.

---> Which imbecilic buffoons gave the score 1 and 2 stars? :lol:

Cool score, I like it more than the first, but not nearly as much as the 2nd (being the best action score after Total Recall). It would be far more enjoyable though if the orchestra weren't complete crap.

I'll have to think about the rating... 3.5 stars would do the thing...

The new themes are pretty nice. Interesting that all three new themes start with the same notes. There's some good action music in there, most notably "Final Battle". Tracks like "Flaming Village" and "Night Fight" also have great action music, though they're indeed a bit repetitive. There's some good music in the tracks leading up to "Final Battle" as well. And the "I'll Stay" end title music is a great way for Jerry Goldsmith to end his Rambo trilogy. On the whole I think it's a good action score. Not as great as the second Rambo film, but still a worthy 4-star score.

First Blood is a wonderful score, I love every second of it. The second one is pretty damn good too, but I have no idea how anyone could rate it higher than the first one. Rambo III is nice too, but still, I love the first one the most.

I assume we're talking about the 23 track Intrada edition?

If so, then pretty good. As others have pointed out, the "I'll stay" is the highlight

But also like others, I don't find myself listening to the CD very much (in its entirety).

To me the score for Rambo II is just dynamite and thrilling stuff, overshadowing III. :P

I'm going to give this 4 stars but the orchestra's performance is lacking. I prefer the first two Rambo scores but this one is a nice send off by Goldsmith. Too bad the score suffers from Lucas like tampering in the film.

I know this score would rate higher had Goldsmith recorded in London or L.A.

My intent with these threads is that we can discuss the full scores as written for the film, so that includes music not on the OST and music not officially released at all.

Interesting. More discussion on Zathura than on a reasonably big Jerry Goldsmith score for a well-known franchise. You got me surprised. Again.

Well Rambo III was a bad film and I only saw it once and that was probably 18 years ago when it became available on VHS.

I do remember the final battle and a few other scenes were tracked with music from Rambo II, so Goldsmith's intended music was cut from the film.

Actually, last time I saw the film I was suprised how little music from First Blood: part II there was in there.

I think most of Jerry's score was used in the film.

The score is great, not quitte as brilliand as part II, but I like the way Goldsmith scores this blood & guts action film with some really beautiful and even ramantic music.

Yes the film is bad, but it's not bad enough sadly. The dialogue is not as hilariously bad as First Blood part II.

The dialogue is not as hilariously bad as First Blood part II.

f_tncolonelm_e939bec.jpg

"If you send that many men after Stefan, just remember one thing,

....a good supply of hilarious Dialogue" ~ Your sincerely, the Colonel.

I liked the movie. Nothing brilliant at all, but fun.

"What's that?"

"It's blue light."

"What does it do?"

"It turns blue."

LOL! :shakehead:

Pieter, I'm enjoying these threads. I only wish I thought of it first.
Thanks. You'd be welcome to post some yourself. If you also use a five-star rating, we can still compare the results. Actually, I'll be going away for six month in not too long, so it'd be fun if somebody could continue them. :shakehead: