Possible JWFan Clubs?

Koray Savas

What do you guys think about forming a JWFan Movie Club? Every week or two weeks or whenever, we all agree to watch a certain movie and have detailed conversations about it that delve more into what we think than the usual quick summaries.

This could also work as a Score Club where we would all listen to the same score, or a Book Club where we all read the same book.

We do get some good conversations going about certain films, but I think it'd be interesting if we all saw it at relatively the same time and discussed it in detail. Of course all members are welcome, but not everyone has to participate.

Just an idea, if no one likes it, no harm done.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea. I can't guarantee I'd always be able to participate, but I'd definitely do so as much as possible. Good thinking, Koray!

First movie: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince! (while it's in the theater)

What do you guys think?

Oh wait, this doesn't have to be a JW scored movie, does it? :P

Oh wait, this doesn't have to be a JW scored movie, does it? ;)

No! :)

I think we get plenty of discussion out of every one of those already.

Well it's tricky to work this out. I don't want to do films in theaters necessarily, because not everyone goes to the movies so often or sees the same movies.

Problems could arise with people who don't have that many DVDs either. A Score Club would be easier, but I'd rather do a Film Club because we can talk about the score and more in the latter.

I don't think you should worry about it too much. Participation isn't mandatory. If you happen to not own the film or aren't able to watch it that week, that's too bad, but I don't think it should stop other people from discussing it.

The question is just: who decides what to watch each week?

It should either go to a commitee of carefully chosen MB members representing a crosssection of the MB based on age, sex, race, religious believe and sexual preference, all having equal vote and veto rights.

Of it should be decided by an Overlord.

I suggest The Moderator take responsibility of this task.

There also needs to be a movie or score (or whatever) which is actually worth discussing. There is no point when everyone agrees. But in the movies case it might not be a problem, for there are several younger memebers who might want to debate the merits of old classics, for example. So the pure "movie club" might be a way to go.

We might as well start from well known stuff. Like Jaws or Close Encounters, for example. To make an easy start.

Karol

There also needs to be a movie or score (or whatever) which is actually worth discussing. There is no point when everyone agrees. But in the movies case it might not be a problem, for there are several younger memebers who might want to debate the merits of old classics, for example. So the pure "movie club" might be a way to go.

We might as well start from well known stuff. Like Jaws or Close Encounters, for example. To make an easy start.

Karol

It also wouldn't be ideal to only do films that have already been discussed to death on the forum, like for example the Prequels.

I think we might best hold off on anything Star Wars for a while. It would be a waste to have one of our first Movie Club meetings dissolve into a longwinded mudslinging argument so soon already. :baaa:

Karol

It also wouldn't be ideal to only do films that have already been discussed to death on the forum, like for example the Prequels.

As I understand this everyone willing to participate should rewatch the film during this week. We never actually (not counting recent releases) discussed in-depth about a film that we all saw at (more or less) the same moment. So this is different from general comments.

I suggested Jaws, because it should be easy to get and most of the talk on the board was about the music. Besides, it could be interesting to see how it compares to recent blockbusters and how modern audience sees it (it was the first film of this type, wasn't it?). If it works, we could go someplace else.

Karol

It occurred to me that the whole jwfan.net is a club, really. So this is a club within the club then... OK! :baaa:

Who decides the movie? Forget a committe! I think everybody who wants to participate submits his name. The moderator (or someone else) writes these names down, and draws a name randomly out of a hat each week... which he announces on a specific day. How about that?

But then who decides the options? I think we just have 1 member choose the film. Like Marc decided this week, so now we figure out who will decide next week, or he can choose the person who decides.

But then who decides the options? I think we just have 1 member choose the film. Like Marc decided this week, so now we figure out who will decide next week, or he can choose the person who decides.

By post count or Member Number, perhaps?

By post count or Member Number, perhaps?

No, by age. Older members have precedence. :mellow:

It occurred to me that the whole jwfan.net is a club, really. So this is a club within the club then... OK! :P

Who decides the movie? Forget a committe! I think everybody who wants to participate submits his name. The moderator (or someone else) writes these names down, and draws a name randomly out of a hat each week... which he announces on a specific day. How about that?

See here.