38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

You don't need to base your opinion on just the OST. ;)

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,17 stars - 13 votes - 7 unfamiliar

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,62 stars - 16 votes - 3 unfamiliar

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where is zero stars, awful dreadful score, Jerry's obviously affected by his cancer, because this is a disaster.

Bad film, terrible score. Completely and utterly inappropriate usage of themes.

Star Trek: Nemesis was my favourite of the TNG films, the movie was just so badass, I loved it! And Jerry's score was an A+ score, "A" for awesome. Especially the complete score. Unfortunately, the official release picked barely any of the highlights, but this score doesn't mess around. That Reman theme, done in that suspenseful rhythmic style with the synths was incredible.

I have the highest regard for this score.

where is zero stars, awful dreadful score, Jerry's obviously affected by his cancer, because this is a disaster.

;)

Have you even given the nearly complete score a listen? That's kind of a bad thing to say about the score.

For me I love the score and I gave it a solid five stars. I will admit it took a while to grew on me when the OST came out however when the nearly complete score leaked I really loved it then. Some of the best parts from the nearly complete score were left off the album.

BTW Drax, Nemesis is my second favorite TNG film, the first will always be First Contact.

A below-average 3 stars from me. It's certainly not an awful score - it's just Goldsmith on uninspired autopilot. It has some beautiful highlights and one or two good action moments, which are not integrated in the score all that well. The official album is just boring, the complete score is mildly entertaining. The best bit is actually the live version of the end credits suite, with that beautifully sad theme and the Berlin quote at the beginning. Overall, it's above McCarthey's score (which isn't bad), but probably below Rosenman's Trek effort.

The best score of Goldsmith final works (post Hollow Man) remains Looney Tunes.

The movie though is much better than it's reputation. It may just be a reiteration of the Khan story, and not as good as that (and who could beat Khan himself as a villain), but it works reasonably well on its own, has a good atmosphere and Patrick Stewart at his Trek movie best.

;)

Have you even given the nearly complete score a listen? That's kind of a bad thing to say about the score.

For me I love the score and I gave it a solid five stars. I will admit it took a while to grew on me when the OST came out however when the nearly complete score leaked I really loved it then. Some of the best parts from the nearly complete score were left off the album.

BTW Drax, Nemesis is my second favorite TNG film, the first will always be First Contact.

its a piece of crap score, and I've heard the complete score in the film, its so bad. JG was so tired of ST at that point the way JW was of SW. There is no life in it. Jerry just throws the klingon theme as Worf's theme, when it is not. Sadly this is one of JG's last scores, he didn't go out on a high note.

I'll give it three stars.

Varese overhyped this score waaayyyy too much. There are some nice cues that were left off the original album, such as "Preparing for Battle" which features a bold statement of Goldsmith's Star Trek theme.

There are some tip of the hats to Goldsmith's TMP score among the unreleased cues and a lovely performance of the Nemesis theme in the end credits although the lathargic performance of the Trek theme and awkward transition between it and the Trek theme kinda ruins it.

Unfortunately the Nemesis theme is used too much thru out the score.

its a piece of crap score, and I've heard the complete score in the film, its so bad. JG was so tired of ST at that point the way JW was of SW. There is no life in it. Jerry just throws the klingon theme as Worf's theme, when it is not. Sadly this is one of JG's last scores, he didn't go out on a high note.

Jerry Goldsmith raped my nerd-hood!!!

It's a 4 star score. Jerry's best TNG score. Certainly not a 5-star score, like TMP. Maybe if there was an option this would get a 3 1/2.

Neil

3 stars.

I liked the usage of the Nemesis theme in the film. It gave the conflict between Picard and the villain (whose name I don't remember) such a bittersweet (or maybe just bitter) flavour. That said, the melody isn't particulary interesting. But I certainly wouldn't call it garbage.

The last good Goldsmith ST score was his second one. First Contact has a nice theme though.

Karol

IHMO, it's the second worst Star Trek score out there with Rosenman's Star Trek IV at the all time worst.

-Erik-

Rosenman's score is fantastic! If you haven't already seen it, check out this scene where I've restored two segments of dialed out music,

Neil

I never realy listened to this score in full, but I thought it was pretty good. The new theme is pretty good and there's some absolutely great action music in there. Most notably in tracks such as "Odds and Ends", "The Scorpion" and "Final Flight". Actually, I think Nemesis contains the most action music in a Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek score and it's good action music at that. Definitly a 4-star score for me.

BTW: I don't think any score deserves 0 stars. Even on a crappy score the composer has put some sort of effort into the creation of the music and this is no crappy score.

IHMO, it's the second worst Star Trek score out there with Rosenman's Star Trek IV at the all time worst.

-Erik-

Rosenman's score is fantastic! If you haven't already seen it, check out this scene where I've restored two segments of dialed out music,

Neil

Ya... still doesn't do anything for me. I don't mind the overture but the rest of the underscore seems so small and underwhelming... especially coming after Goldsmith's and Horner's fine efforts in the previous three films. It's my least played Star Trek score.

I'd say my order of preference is...

1. The Motion Picture

2. Wrath of Khan

3. The Undiscovered Country

4. The Final Frontier

5. First Contact

6. Generations

7. The Search For Spock

8. Insurrection

9. Nemesis

10. The Voyage Home

-Erik-

-Erik-

Agreed. I have no love for The Voyage Home, nor Nemesis. When you've heard the large quantity of scores by Goldsmith that I have you quickly discover that 99% of Nemesis has already been done before and by that point in time Goldsmith had obviously had enough. When I first listened to the Varèse Sarabande album I just remember thinking "Something isn't right here, even Horner puts in more effort then this" I was utterly disappointed. When moving onto the Complete Score that did very little to sway my mind either. The fact that I despise the film itself merely makes an already bad situation worse. Wrath of Khan is a great film, my favourite Trek film, and Nemesis was nothing more than an insulting poor regurgitation of its story and an extremely lousy send-off for The Next Generation crew.

Well Joe, you're entitled to your opinion. It's definitely not one I agree with however. I'll just leave it at that.

I don't mind if anyone likes it, afterall Stefan and Neil will completely disagree with me on this.

According to film music expert Dan Hobgood, Star Trek: Nemesis is the finest Star Trek score and a runner-up to Signs as the best score of 2002.

Now that can't be true.

Esecially for a Jerry Goldsmith score.

Don't you know that James Newton Howard is Goldsmith's heir apparent? You've been neglecting to read your Hobgood again, haven't you? Tsk, tsk.

I would have loved "Star Trek: Nemesis" to have been Jerry's swansong instead of LOONEY TONES. I love this score especially the music that rolls from Data talking to B-4 where Jean-Luc chats to Admiral Janeway. And as Mark said earlier, a lot of great cues missing from the Varese cd. TG for bootlegs :(

Don't blame Jerry when there wasn't a main titles sequence in NEMESIS...blame Stuart Baird, Rick Berman and John Logan.

Now that can't be true.

Esecially for a Jerry Goldsmith score.

Don't you know that James Newton Howard is Goldsmith's heir apparent? You've been neglecting to read your Hobgood again, haven't you? Tsk, tsk.

Then Giacchino is Williams' without a doubt :)

Like Neil, I'd say 3 1/2 if there was the option, but I really like it so I'll go for a generous 4. It's my second favorite Next Gen score. There are some superb action cues, nice emotional moments, and best of all the full reincorporation of Goldsmith's main theme after it's sparse usage in FC and almost total absence in Insurrection.

I only remember beeing bored to death with the c.d.,and only a few good Enterprise cues on the complete score.

Then Giacchino is Williams' without a doubt

I'd actually say outside of Medal of Honor, Giacchino is more so an heir of Goldsmith's than Williams.

Honestly, listen to Lost and Speed Racer and Roar!

It's Planet of the Apes, Joe Dante Collaboration, and 60s Goldsmith i.e. The Blue Max.

I would definitely say he is the heir apparent to the old school composers, which would include Williams, Goldsmith, Barry, etc.. Speed Racer is fun at times and Roar! is just fantastic.

As for Nemesis, fantastic is far from what I would use to describe it. The OST is disappointing and while I will say the complete score is better, I still think the score lacks any real luster. His physical condition obviously played a big role in the huge drop of quality from Insurrection (which I would love to hear in a more expanded form), but it still doesn't make me want to give it anything higher than a two. I'm sure if the film he was scoring was better, than maybe the Maestro's final Star Trek bow would have been a bit better.

I think Insurrection is the weakest Goldsmith Trek score, even in it's expanded form.

I would agree with that.

I'm also not crazy about First Contact and never understood all the love that score receives. First show, opening day I knew there was something wrong with it just by listening to it. Then I found out Jerry wasn't able to devote himself fully to the project and it all made sense.

I think something about Nemesis inspired him in ways that the other TNG films didn't.

Neil

I think Nemesis is my favourite TNG Star Trek score. Although First Contact and Insurrection both have a better new theme, I like the action music on Nemesis more.

WOW. 32 votes. Impressive. Everyone who hasn't voted on my previous polls, please do. I will update the ratings accordingly on the next score thread I post. So don't fear your vote is too late.

Good score, not the easiest to get into, especially since it only has one action cue in the first half of the film, but when Jerry does finally unleash his action music, all is well.

Interesting that this score really does not have any dominant main theme, instead a large collection of short themes and motives that run all along the score.. I agree with Bulk that something caught Jerry's interest here.

Obviously TMP is still THE Goldsmith Trek score, though.

There's NOT one dominant main theme? Huh? There's one new sort-of sad-sounding main theme that is used quite a lot.

What do peeps think of the First Contact score? It's the only Trek score I purchased, I really like it. The main theme is one of my fave Goldsmith tunes.

I like it a lot, it's a very good score, especially considering Goldsmith had 3 weeks to work on it. The main theme of one of his stronger ones of the decade, and it has some good action and suspense material.

I also like the Joel Goldsmith cues, although they are quitte different to what his father wrote.

I think the main theme of First Contact is absolutely amazing. Also I really like the tracks "Red Alert" and "The Interchange/Phoenix Flight/Victory Over the Borg". Apparently the really cool part of that second track was written by Joel Goldsmith though. Apart from those tracks, I have so far not really been able to find much to like, so any recommendations would be welcome.

I recall somebody (probably you then) once posted his improved track names for First Contact and I used some of them on my own MP3s. So thanks for those. :P

I do like the main theme a lot, and I think it's his best since TMP. I also love the score to the Lily/Picard argument and subsequent Moby Dick quotation. I think it does sound fractured because there are parts of the flick that are really good but they're spoilt by the terrible scenes on Earth so it's all quite uneven.

There's NOT one dominant main theme? Huh? There's one new sort-of sad-sounding main theme that is used quite a lot.

There is one dominant main theme that is used thru out the Nemesis score. It gets the sad-sounding treatement during the end credits.

What do peeps think of the First Contact score? It's the only Trek score I purchased, I really like it. The main theme is one of my fave Goldsmith tunes.

First Contact is my favorite Next Gen score. I think Joel and Jerry's music work well together and I like the Borg theme.