• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Quigley Down Under by Basil Poledouris. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

You can base your opinion on whatever release(s) of the score you've heard.

At the request of various people, you can now rate in half stars. :blink:

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,17 stars - 17 votes - 11 unfamiliar

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,57 stars - 20 votes - 6 unfamiliar

Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,03 stars - 38 votes - 9 unfamiliar

The Sea Hawk by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: 4,60 stars - 32 votes - 12 unfamiliar

Independence Day by David Arnold: 4,15 stars - 51 votes - 5 unfamiliar

Krull by James Horner: 4,39 stars - 30 votes - 7 unfamiliar

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my last listen to the unexpanded release several months ago, I think it's a solid 3 to 3½ star score, as all of Poledouris's Westerns are. (Lonesome Dove might be closer to a 4.) If I listen to it again soon, I might be able to expand on what I've written here.

Unfortunately the only Poledouris score I'm familiar with is Conan the Barbarian, which is a 5 star masterpiece of course.

Of all the Poledouris scores... you pick this. :blink:

I'm not saying it's bad, but certainly not one I would go for if I craved some Basil western material, I'd go for the vastly superior Lonesome Dove.

3 stars.

Oh, how we need some sort of expanded Lonesome Dove score . . .

I've never seen Quigley Down Under, nor have I ever heard the score. However, I've never heard a Poledouris score that I didn't like, and he's written at least three of my favorites (Conan the Barbarian, Lonesome Dove, Starship Troopers), so I suspect I'd enjoy Quigley, too.

I went for 3,5 stars on this one. It's a fun score with a very enjoyably main theme and some good action tracks such as "Marston's Attack", "The Fire" and "The Attack". There's a lot of not-so-interesting stuff inbetween though. :shakehead:

Of all the Poledouris scores... you pick this. :P

I'm not saying it's bad, but certainly not one I would go for if I craved some Basil western material, I'd go for the vastly superior Lonesome Dove.

I'm posting these pretty much at random. Lonesome Dove will come along as well. At some point. ;)
Fun score, but since I only got it recently and listened to it for a while, then put it aside, I can't choose between 3 and 4 stars.
Good thing you can rate it 3,5 stars now then. :D

I give this score 4 stars.

It's a fun and energetic score with a catchy main theme. Actually I think it makes a nice companion piece to Lonesome Dove.

Unfortunately the only Poledouris score I'm familiar with is Conan the Barbarian, which is a 5 star masterpiece of course.

So you've never heard Poledouris's Starship Troopers or Hunt For Red October score? For shame man, for shame!