• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

You don't need to base your opinion on just the OST. :shakehead:

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,17 stars - 17 votes - 11 unfamiliar

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,57 stars - 22 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,03 stars - 38 votes - 9 unfamiliar

The Sea Hawk by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: 4,62 stars - 34 votes - 13 unfamiliar

Independence Day by David Arnold: 4,17 stars - 52 votes - 5 unfamiliar

Krull by James Horner: 4,36 stars - 33 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Quigley Down Under by Basil Poledouris: 3,64 stars - 14 votes - 7 unfamiliar

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your polls are about scores I don't ever listen to.

I know you listen to scores like Superman and Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars. Are there any others you listen to? I'm a bit holding off on posting the most well-known John Williams scores because we're all pretty much familiar with those anyway. But I'll post them at some point as well. :D

I know you listen to scores like Superman and Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars. Are there any others you listen to? I'm a bit holding off on posting the most well-known John Williams scores because we're all pretty much familiar with those anyway. But I'll post them at some point as well. :D

I haven't listened to any of those in recent memory, currently I've got Lost World, Signs, Jaws 2, and Carrie in the car, plus a cd of tv themes mostly Williams and Goldsmith.

Judge Dredd is one of my most played Silvestri scores. I love it. It's by no means a complex score, but it's one of the most entertaining works I've heard and it's certainly one of his best scores of the decade. I reccomend it to anyone who enjoys Silvestri or coherant action writing in general.

I think I have to go with yet another 3.5 stars, simply because it's a really good score but something I can completely forget about for a year or two until I play it again and enjoy it a lot. Although Block War is a 4 star cue. :thumbup:

I'm not at all familiar with it, although I have seen the dreadful movie.

. . . (intentional pun :P )

I AM DUUUUHHHH LLLLAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Have the score, but have not and never will listen to it.

Why?

Kora collects coasters that's why

I must listen to this score more often.

Or more accurately, I must listen to the second half more often. I somehow tune out after the first 15, 20 minutes of it.

I voted 3.5 stars. I have this in itunes, but haven't listened to the whole thing. I'm only judging the stuff I've heard.

It's really only got one cue that good from starting to end, the rest only have spuratic moments of goodness, but it's just what I call "serious" mickey-mousing; mickey mousing that tries to pass itself off as a regular cohenrent score by trying to be somethign it isn't. I've never heard Silvestri pull off a big epic score. All his efforts for such films feel overblown and bland; "Ven Helsing", "Judge Dredd", "The Mummy 2".

The best moments are all captured very nicely in the theme from the film, in this YouTube video: