Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Pieter Boelen

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (John Williams)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope by John Williams. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

This time the score is not chosen randomly, but since we're having an interesting discussion on this score in the The underscore of Star Wars: A New Hope, I figured we might as well rate it too. :P

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,17 stars - 17 votes - 11 unfamiliar

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,57 stars - 22 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,03 stars - 38 votes - 9 unfamiliar

The Sea Hawk by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: 4,65 stars - 36 votes - 13 unfamiliar

Independence Day by David Arnold: 4,21 stars - 57 votes - 5 unfamiliar

Krull by James Horner: 4,28 stars - 37 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Quigley Down Under by Basil Poledouris: 3,63 stars - 16 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri: 3,56 stars - 29 votes - 12 unfamiliar

Yay! at last i can vote.

5 starts

Its one of Williams marterpieces, it works marvels in the film.

My fav tracks are Main title and the rebel blockade runner, binary sunset, The Battle of Yavin, Throne room, Princess leia's theme.

The cantina bands are amazingly cool

BTW you should call it Star Wars (not episode 'junk', or you are going to be slapped in the face)

Five stars. You can't not, really. Hell, even if influence and cultural impact had nothing to do with it, this score is easily worth five stars at the very least. Absolute brilliance.

Standout tracks:

Main Title

Binary Sunset

Escape From Mos Eisley

Princess Leia's Theme

The Battle of Yavin

The Throne Room

Cantina Band #2

This doesn't really need to be said as it's been said a thousand times before, but it's hard to pick favourites, really. It's that good.

Out of Star Wars scores, it would only get a 4, but total, I can up it .5.

Certainly an excellent album, with two awesome themes: Luke's (Main Titles) and Lea's. My two problems are, #1 - All of the Tatooine music, really ends up boring me, and #2 the recording quality sounds pinnched and tight, like it was recorded in a small room with not very good equipment, and the result is that the loud exciting parts often hurt the ears.

Of course, it started it all, so it gets a little extra credit there.

But how 'bout this to stir up controversy: Second worst Star Wars score (with the worst being Attack of the Clones).

Colin Thomson

Oh deary deary me.

But hey! Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

A 5 obviously. It is one of Williams' masterpieces, even though I prefer other Star Wars scores to it (not that that detracts from anything). Honestly though, each part of the OT probably deserves a five.

5. I actually listen to this one more than any other. I suppose it has to do with my fascination that it sounds different than the rest, and it's the one that started it all. There's never a dull moment and has a hell of an ending. No gripes.

There's never a dull moment and has a hell of an ending.

Indeed, the ending is the stuff of Williams legend. George Lucas' name never sounded so good and his moment amongst the stars is probably the finest moment in Credits writing ever.

How this was voted anything other than a straight five is quite inexplicable. Damn.

This should be a no brainer for most people here. For me easy solid 5 stars. While Empire Strikes Back will always remain my favorite Original Trilogy score, Star Wars will be second place. It's a pretty damn good score, all though sometimes weird to listen to if you listen to the scores in order I-VI.

But how 'bout this to stir up controversy: Second worst Star Wars score (with the worst being Attack of the Clones).

:P

Good question Steef where are those guys? I'm surprised they haven't posted in this thread yet.

I practically have the whole score subconsciously memorized because I watched it so much as a kid.

The Force theme (or Ben's Theme if you prefer) is my favorite piece of film music and it's nowhere better represented than in this the original, the one and only Star Wars.

Such power and wonder in that theme. :P

Five stars. A bit on the "emulated" side, with some actual clones of Holst and Stravinsky moments, but still a damn fine score, with some damn fine themes and outstanding concert arrangements.

(For comparison, CE3K would probably have to get a 5+ :P )

Practically have the whole score subconsciously memorized as I watched it so much as a kid.

Seconded.

I'm shocked that somebody voted 4 1/2 stars. :P :P

Oh, I forgot that the force theme appeared on it. Ok, make that three awesome themes. I know compared to the whole body of soundtracks, it has got to be very top. I just can't help but compare it with other Star Wars. And just so people know where I stand, my favorite Star Wars soundtracks, in order, are:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Revenge of the Sith

3. The Phantom Menace

4. Return of the Jedi

5. A New Hope (Star Wars)

6. Attack of the Clones

I know that that is not the approved connoisseur of Star Wars music listing, but, hey, I can't help what I like.

Colin Thomson

newbies, what can you say you gotta love them,

but Vosk, why would anyone want to listen to Star Wars surrounded by the 5 very good to extremely piss poor scores.

And as a reminder to everyone here, John Williams never scored a film called Star Wars a New Hope,

Just Star Wars.

its time you people quit believing the lies of George Lucas.

I think the terms "classic" and "masterpiece" have been used enough in this thread, so I'll refrain and just say 5 great big stars!

BTW Joe is correct it is generally referred to as just Star Wars it was only after the theatrical release ol' Georgy boy added "Episode IV A New Hope". To me I will always call it Star Wars.

My favourite Star Wars score, a splendid listen from start to finish. It isn't, however admired and appreciated, the Greatest. Score. Ever. though.

Superman: The Movie is superior to Star Wars.

5 stars.

Masterpiece. And there's so much more to it than the iconic thematic statements. A suprema achievement

5 stars, 10 stars, 15 stars, the top rank in any scale.

Blasphemy!

The day I consider Star Wars to be the greatest score ever is the day I kiss a fanboy's a*se and beg him to scold me for all thouse utterly absurd comments I have made towards the prequels over the years. I sleep with Jar Jar on my pillow... honest!

And as a reminder to everyone here, John Williams never scored a film called Star Wars a New Hope,

Just Star Wars.

What can I say? It is extremely practical to call it A New Hope. It sounds kinda silly to say "I like Star Wars, but Star Wars is by far my favorite.

Colin Thomson

Just Star Wars.

What can I say? It is extremely practical to call it A New Hope. It sounds kinda silly to say "I like Star Wars, but Star Wars is by far my favorite.

Colin Thomson

no its extremely practical and efficient to call it Star Wars, anyone with half a brain knows that only one of these 6 movies is just Star Wars.

Just Star Wars.

Colin Thomson

no its extremely practical and efficient to call it Star Wars, anyone with half a brain knows that only one of these 6 movies is just Star Wars.

Not that's what people with the other (but only one) half of the brain say.

People with full brain call Star Wars the movie that was released in 1977 and A New Hope the movie that was released in 1997 and further 'bastardised' in 2004.

Just Star Wars.

Colin Thomson

Oh, now I understand.

Colin Thomson

I go with 5 stars as well. Absolutely great stuff. I think it might be better than ESB as far as originality is concerned, because it sounds somewhat off and alien to me. However, I like ESB better. Both 5 star scores anyway.

BTW you should call it Star Wars (not episode 'junk', or you are going to be slapped in the face)
That'd be confusing, since it might also refer to the series as a whole. Anyway: The name of the thing shouldn't influence the rating of the music. And it's the MUSIC we're talking about here.

That'd be confusing, since it might also refer to the series as a whole. Anyway: The name of the thing shouldn't influence the rating of the music. And it's the MUSIC we're talking about here.

Star Wars (1977) will erase the ambiguity :)

Just Star Wars.

Colin Thomson

People with full brain call Star Wars the movie that was released in 1977 and A New Hope the movie that was released in 1997 and further 'bastardised' in 2004.

I have never seen Star Wars, but Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope and I'm preety happy about, despite having no brain.

BTW, in my country Temple of Doom was released for the first time under the title Indiana Jones, fortunatelly in the dvd release they brought full title back.

Just Star Wars.

Colin Thomson

I have never seen Star Wars, but Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope and I'm preety happy about, despite having no brain.

You have a full brain, you discern between Star Wars (1977) and Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1997) :sleepy:

Who the hell is the snob that gave it one star!? :sleepy:

Forget about that, somebody is actually not familiar with this score. :P:D My guess is (s)he's from a different galaxy - but certainly not from the one far away! ;)

"Episode IV - A New Hope" was added for the 1981 re-issue.

Neil