• 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

You don't need to base your opinion on just the OST. :)

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,17 stars - 17 votes - 11 unfamiliar

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,57 stars - 22 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,03 stars - 38 votes - 9 unfamiliar

The Sea Hawk by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: 4,60 stars - 38 votes - 13 unfamiliar

Independence Day by David Arnold: 4,21 stars - 57 votes - 5 unfamiliar

Krull by James Horner: 4,28 stars - 38 votes - 9 unfamiliar

Quigley Down Under by Basil Poledouris: 3,63 stars - 16 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri: 3,56 stars - 29 votes - 12 unfamiliar

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope by John Williams: 4,70 stars - 38 votes - 1 unfamiliar

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 stars

Its good but an unispired version of The 13th Warrior.

And since Goldsmith didnt like it it does not have the full pottential it could have had

This is a score I absolutely get a kick out of listening to and do so on numerous occasions when the time arises for it.

5 stars. No other Egyptian themed score beats this one, only Lawrence of Arabia comes close.

I consider this to be superior to Silvestri's The Mummy Returns which is also very good.

I'm sure Goldsmith would be embarrased by a fanboy commentary like that....

What possesses a person to come out with such a ridiculous comment? Oh I know! A Star Wars drone. A sad sack of a fanboy who has the audacity to brand me as one? Not even close. Now go play with your self-made George Lucas vibrator. :sleepy:

Can we keep the nasty comments at least out of MY threads? And preferrably out of ALL of them? I hate those kinds of comments.

Do you people even listen to this stuff? The 'Mummy' has a sitar and a similar chord progression in one of the themes, apart from this it's a completely different road from '13th Warrior', altogether.

4,5 stars for the effort, since it's the last big Goldsmith adventure score...and the movie is junky enough to make it a worthy follower to others which came before! :sleepy:

I'm sure Goldsmith would be embarrased by a fanboy commentary like that....

What possesses a person to come out with such a ridiculous comment? Oh I know! A Star Wars drone. A sad sack of a fanboy who has the audacity to brand me as one? Not even close. Now go play with your self-made George Lucas vibrator. :sleepy:

Excuse me for saying that but if Goldsmith thought the movie was the worst or stupidest he had scored in his career, i'm sure he would feel like that if someone said it was one of his masterpieces. And its so clearly a derivative work of Warrior, that he must have been as unispired as Williams with AOTC.

I let you call me fanboy, like i did.

But the rest of the embellishments, keep those for yourself.

Just drop it ok? Move on.

I'm not interested in what Goldsmith's egotistical opinion on the score was, I already know the situation. I was simply stating mine.

Have I in anyway said this score is a masterpiece? No, didn't think so.

I abhor being branded as a fanboy, even in fun. You would have been better off just flat-out swearing at me, although that would have gotten you into a further variant of trouble no doubt.

Just drop it ok? Move on.

You should have dropped it a post before.

BTW if i knew Goldsmith had worked as hard as in Warrior, i would have voted 5 stars.

BTW if i knew Goldsmith had worked as hard as in Warrior, i would have voted 5 stars.

Actually, the 'Mummy' certainly was more of a workload since it's a more complex score, much more notes and a more varied orchestration.

more varied orchestration.

Really? I dont know if it was tracked, but the complete score (DVD iso score) feels like there is alot of tracking.

You should have dropped it a post before.

:sleepy:

Randy Edelman's upcoming score to the latest film bares the distinct possibility of actually being good. I mean it's the LSO, plus it apparently is not going to feature his usual array of infamous synth pads etc.

Rob Cohen's blog entry:

"As to the music: guys, trust me. Randy and I have done two classic scores (DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY and DRAGONHEART) that continue to be used in trailers and commercials a decade and a half later. This will be an original score with new themes, played by the London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Abbey Road Studios. There will nothing “synth paddy” about it. It will be massive, thematic, and pulsing. I have great respect for Al Silvestri but this is a new, re-booted “Mummy” and it will have the score to match."

4 stars, love this score. I love to put the dvd in at night, set it to play just the score and listen till I fall asleep(not because its boring, its not)

Do you people even listen to this stuff? The 'Mummy' has a sitar and a similar chord progression in one of the themes, apart from this it's a completely different road from '13th Warrior', altogether.

Thank you. People hear one similarity and jump to the "13th Warror clone" statement.

In any case, I find The Mummy enjoyable, but don't think it's the masterpiece I did when the film first came out. The 13th Warrior is far better, but this one is quite an entertaining roller coaster ride of bombast.

4 stars. A very good adventure score.

1-Thank you. People hear one similarity and jump to the "13th Warror clone" statement.

2-In any case, I find The Mummy enjoyable, but don't think it's the masterpiece I did when the film first came out. The 13th Warrior is far better, but this one is quite an entertaining roller coaster ride of bombast.

1-Well its no different that saying that Williams works on the same year have many similarities.

2-That is my opinion too.

Five stars for me. Love his theme for The Mummy as well as Rick and Evelyn. Of course having the complete score (combo of OST and DVD iso) helps. I have always preferred Goldsmith's Mummy score over Silvestri's.

With all these positive responses, I'm going to have to give this score a listen. I've heard the main theme and a track here and there, but never the whole thing. I didn't know so many people liked it. I have always loved Silvestri's Returns, though.

Ted

That cue where they make the ride through Hamanaptra (sp?) has gotta be the greatest on the whole score. It's also one of my favorite montages as well on film, mixed with score.

4 stars.

4.5. One of my absolute favourites of Goldsmith's post-Total Recall years. Brilliant themes, brilliant atmosphere. That rhythmic stuff in My Favourite Plagues is one of the great Goldsmith highlights for me.

I do think it has plenty of similarities to The 13th Warrior, which contrary to popular opinion I don't like quite as much (would give it 4 stars).

I'm gonna give it 4.5 stars. It's a very good score. The original album is loaded with all the major cues and there really isn't anything I can complain about missing from it, although it is nice to have the isolated score available.

The hero's theme is tongue in cheek fun.

I think it makes a nice companion piece to the 13th Warrior.

Not familiar.

God, what a terrible movie The Mummy is. Rarely have I felt so much like walking out. I thought the sequel was a vast improvement (though still not much more than okay), and preferred The Scorpion King to both -- it at least had The Rock doing his goofy thing.

Not familiar.

God, what a terrible movie The Mummy is. Rarely have I felt so much like walking out. I thought the sequel was a vast improvement (though still not much more than okay), and preferred The Scorpion King to both -- it at least had The Rock doing his goofy thing.

You really thought it was that bad, the sequel was better?? Strange, most people I come across who abhor the first film just dismiss the second as "more of the same, only worse".

This is one of my favorite score from Jerry Goldsmith. It's a great score apart from a lot repetitive themes in it.

You really thought it was that bad, the sequel was better?? Strange, most people I come across who abhor the first film just dismiss the second as "more of the same, only worse".

First one was crap, and I never watched the others. It seemed to me that the score didn't even fit the visuals very well in the first one (but apparently that's juts me), as if Goldsmith just thought, eff this, I'll just let the setting inspire me to write some great music.

And Marian is correct because all that matters is that the music is good.

I enjoyed both Mummy films. Both are B films and don't pretend to be anything else.

The only real complaint I have is that the second one is really lacking in it's visual effects. I would expect better from ILM.

I enjoyed both Mummy films. Both are B films and don't pretend to be anything else.

The only real complaint I have is that the second one is really lacking in it's visual effects. I would expect better from ILM.

I agree. The visual effects in The Mummy Returns were not merely lacking however... They were a laughable embarrassment, far worse than anything else that warranted negative criticism towards the film. :jump:

Not familiar.

[...] what a terrible movie The Mummy is. Rarely have I felt so much like walking out. I thought the sequel was a vast improvement (though still not much more than okay), and preferred The Scorpion King to both -- it at least had The Rock doing his goofy thing.

Wow. I thought The Scorpion King was completely terrible. The Mummy was fun and Returns not much more than an inferior rehash, but still pretty fun.

I like Goldsmith's score quite a bit, though for me it drags some in the middle. There are a couple parts in the score where he, I don't know what the proper musical terms are, but where he layers 3 or 4 rhythms / ostinatos / melodies (whatever they are) on top of each other. The result is almost overpowering when you really listen to it and yet it's not a messy wall of sound. Some of the cues are in:

Sand and Blood (expanded cue)

Night Boarders

Mumia Attack

Overall a terrific 4 stars.

Oh great. They're making another Scorpion King.

When released, it will be a prequel of a spin-off-prequel of a sequel of a remake.

Wow. :jump:

Randy Edelman's upcoming score to the latest film bares the distinct possibility of actually being good. I mean it's the LSO, plus it apparently is not going to feature his usual array of infamous synth pads etc.
I do think it might be good. I'm looking forward to it. :dance:
The original album is loaded with all the major cues and there really isn't anything I can complain about missing from it, although it is nice to have the isolated score available.
There's a fair few tracks on the complete score that I like very much that were not on the OST: "Pursuit", ''The Desert Will Kill Him'', "The Librarian", "The Sand Wall", "Quicksand" and "Escaping Hamunaptra".
Interesting. Most people seem to rate them in the opposite way. Personally I enjoy all of them and they've even all got scores ranging from pretty good to excellent. Though the scorpion king at the end of The Mummy Returns must be the single worst CGI effect I have ever seen in my life. I never really have much of a problem with CGI looking fake, but that example really IS bad.
Oh great. They're making another Scorpion King.
A prequel to The Scorpion King? Why not make a sequel? I'd be interested to find out how he goes from being a king of legend to being a bad guy in The Mummy Returns. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Original Music by Klaus Badelt. Hmm... I had been hoping for another John Debney score. They seem to really insist on having a different composer for each film in the franchise. :dance:

Interesting. Most people seem to rate them in the opposite way. Personally I enjoy all of them and they've even all got scores ranging from pretty good to excellent. Though the scorpion king at the end of The Mummy Returns must be the single worst CGI effect I have ever seen in my life. I never really have much of a problem with CGI looking fake, but that example really IS bad.

well it was the one of (if not the) 1st time a human was made CGI

It was not that bad at its time.

They shouldn't have CG-ed The Rock in the first place. They should've had him play the part and only CG-ed the scorpion parts. Would've looked much more convincing. This is really the worst example of fake-looking CGI I have ever seen. :dance:

They shouldn't have CG-ed The Rock in the first place. They should've had him play the part and only CG-ed the scorpion parts. Would've looked much more convincing. This is really the worst example on fake-looking CGI I have ever seen. :dance:

unlikely they have still not mastered perfectly the blend between human and CGI parts

It was not that bad at its time.

Oh, yes it was. The only thing you could do was laugh at that effect. Just absolutely awful. Points for being ambitious; points off for not knowing when to not be ambitious.