Kingdom of Heaven

Kingdom of Heaven (Harry Gregson-Williams)  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this score?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 stars
    • I'm not familiar with this score

Every few days I will post a thread on a random score from my collection that we can discuss and rate. I made a playlist on my computer with one track of each score I've got, so by using the random play option, I'll be able to post a truly random score each time. Hopefully this will allow us to discuss some scores that would otherwise never be discussed. Also we can record the rating so that we can create a full list of the ratings given to scores by JWFan.com.

Today's score is Kingdom of Heaven by Harry Gregson-Williams. Are you familiar with it? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How do do you think it works in the film? What are your favourite tracks?

You don't need to base your opinion on just the OST. :rolleyes:

So far JWFan has rated:

Zathura by John Debney: 3,17 stars - 17 votes - 11 unfamiliar

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,57 stars - 22 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Star Trek X: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith: 3,03 stars - 38 votes - 9 unfamiliar

The Sea Hawk by Erich Wolfgang Korngold: 4,60 stars - 38 votes - 13 unfamiliar

Independence Day by David Arnold: 4,21 stars - 57 votes - 5 unfamiliar

Krull by James Horner: 4,29 stars - 41 votes - 10 unfamiliar

Quigley Down Under by Basil Poledouris: 3,63 stars - 16 votes - 8 unfamiliar

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri: 3,56 stars - 29 votes - 12 unfamiliar

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope by John Williams: 4,73 stars - 46 votes - 2 unfamiliar

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith: 4,09 stars - 18 votes - 1 unfamiliar

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 stars. (not near Goldsmith the mummy, but giving it 3.5 sounds not enough...i should have given mummy 4.5 :/)

Very nice score, specially coming from Media Ventures spawn.

I dont have fav tracks, but sometimes i prefer the unused alternates, and i like the ibelin theme.

I like it, the best single Gregson-Williams' effort to date (at least I prefer it to Sinbad). Rich in melodies and arrangements as well as very nice choral writing. I give it 4,5.

I like it, the best single Gregson-Williams' effort to date (at least I prefer it to Sinbad). Rich in melodies and arrangements as well as very nice choral writing. I give it 4,5.

it seems you didn't....... (vote)

it seems you didn't....... (vote)

Touche...

Chris - finally giving his missing vote.

The atmosphere of this score is terrific, despite its themes lacking some depth. I actually enjoy the motifs more than the main themes. Still, though, on the whole, this is a very good score. Some of my favorite tracks include: Sibylla, Ibelin, Better Man, Coronation, and Wall Breached.

Pieter: I think you're doing a great job with these score polls. You're touching on a real variety of composers and scores. I'm looking forward to the next one!

Ted

The delicate choral passages are fairly pleasing, even evocative, but the MV/RC-inflected orchestral writing doesn't suit my taste. Like Ted, I like this poll series, even though my familiarity with many of the featured scores has been limited.

4,5 stars for me. I think it's a really good score indeed. I actually listened to this one several times, which isn't customary for me in the case of something of a drama score. I especially love the fact that the Muslim (Ibelin) and Christian themes are actually the same. I think that goes to show that some real thought and effort went into the creation of this score. I should listen to the 3-disc recording sessions one day though. But it's got so many alternates that it seems like a daunting task.

And thanks, Ted and Hlao-roo. There will be much more to come, so there's bound to be some that you know every now and then. :rolleyes:

4. HGW's best score and it has some fantastic writing in it (especially in the expanded score). I love Balin's theme and all the interpretations of it.

I've only heard the OST, so maybe I'm missing out. The music doesn't strike me as anything fantastic. It's certainly good for a listen and it fits the film very well, but I don't feel the need to re-visit it often. So I gave it a 3.

Love the director's cut of the movie. Love the score and all "floating around" incarnations of the soundtrack... Still, 5 would only be for Williams and Goldsmith as far as I'm concerned.

"Floating around" incarnations? Hmm, well there is the complete sessions that only Harry Gregson-Williams did and that's about as complete as you can get. I wouldn't want anything else.

5 would only be for Williams and Goldsmith as far as I'm concerned.

You don't rate these score's based on the composer, if it's a Goldsmith or Williams you don't immediately go "5" Rate it on the actual quality and how it works in the film.

Rate it on the actual quality and how it works in the film.

I wouldn't systematically give a 5 to any Williams or Goldsmith but they would probably be the only 2, I would give the highest mark to. As for the issue of how it works in the film, I would give without hesitation a 5 to Hook, although I saw the movie only once during its original theatrical release. Needless to say I don't remember much, just that it wasn't very good. This being said the score might work great in the film, I just don't know. And I would aslo give a 5 to Jane Eyre even though I've never seen it.

Does that make any sense?

Considering all of HGW's work I've heard so far, I rate it 4,5 stars. It's definitely a great score and I regret that in tie with Director's Cut 4 DVD edition, they didn't also think of putting out an expanded score on 2 CDs.

One of my favorite scores of recent years. It may suffer during the action music a bit....but I get the sense of a serious effort, some real thought applied to the score, which is very elegantly crafted.